Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:52 PM
cynthia

Default cruisemate needed

This is my first time on a cruise, most likely it will be alone but I'm seriously considering placing an ad for a mid-30's female to share. Does anyone have an opinion/experience w/this? I'd appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: cruisemate needed

Hi Cynthia,
I haven't had any first hand expierence with sharing a cabin, but have heard both good and bad situations. I think if it means cruising or not, I'd go with a cabin-mate. If you do decide to try to find someone to share a cabin, you can post in these message boards, its just for that:
http://www.cruisemates.com/MBindex/companion.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Cynthia,

If you are arranging your own roommate, definitely go someplace for a weekend where you will share a hotel room before you book a cruise. There's no escape from a cruise ship, and you'll be miserable if the arrangement does not work out for any reason.

The alternative is to book through the cruise line's "guaranteed share" program -- which means that the cruise line attempts to find a roommate of the same sex and same smoking preference for you. If the cruise line fails to make a match, you still pay the double occupancy fare. With this arrangement, the cruise line bears some responsibility if the match does not work and thus will do something to resolve the problem. (There usually is a spare cabin for emergency use somewhere, even on a ship that's sold out.)

Norm.
Old February 4th, 2003, 12:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: cruisemate needed

I just tried booking a cruise with the share a cabin program. The price was way more than the double occupancy rate and for an extra $250 I booked my own cabin.
Old March 5th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Storm Trooper

Default Re: Re: Re: cruisemate needed

Hi,

My very first cruise experience was with Princess to Alaska. I booked the guaranteed
"share" program.

At the time I was in my in my very late 30's and money was an issue. I was willing to
take my chances.

WELL, to make a long story short. I got there first. The luggage was in the stateroom.
Mine was "regular canvas", etc. The other bags were "card board". I'm not kidding, and
they had to be 100 years old.

Well, they matched their owner too. I'm not faulting the woman but she was OLD (70
ish) and smelled to high heaven. This was a small outside stateroom. It took me about 15 minutes to go to the purser's office, pay the rate difference and get a separate
cabin. If you wait too long to make the change, you could get stuck if the ship is full.

If you are thinking about doing this: BEWARE!
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Passenger

Hi,

I've done both. Approx. 9 years ago, I did the room share on the Carnival Celebration. I ended up with a women from Venesula (sp). We did not hang out together but made wonderful roomates. She was a little older then me, we had opposite dinner times so that worked well. She was quite cute, she even worried about me one night when I didn't quite make it home!

I leave on the Destiny next month. Carnival quit the room share program, but I got as good of a deal on a room by myself. I paid less this time then my room share 9 years ago.

I truly believe that cruising is the safest vacation for a single women to do!

Happy Cruising!

Kay