CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   New packing item (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/293935-new-packing-item.html)

Harry Martin November 24th, 2002 10:04 AM

New packing item

I think with all these Norwalk flu outbreaks on ships, we should add a travel size can of Lysol to the list.

:-)

Harry

Donna November 24th, 2002 12:00 PM

Re: New packing item

I also got this tip a few months ago before we headed to Alaska, its a soap you can get that required no water, called "Purell". I know have it in my carry-on for every cruise and have some at home too. They say to keep germs away to always wash your hands, so I will continue to travel with this.

Phil November 24th, 2002 08:07 PM

Re: Re: New packing item

Absolutely correct re: Purell. Work in nursing facility and will deffinately be bringing a bottle along as well. Can't be too carefull!

Harry Martin November 25th, 2002 01:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: New packing item

We packed that in the backpack two cruises ago for when we were in port. It was also great to feel fresh again after trudging thru places.

Gets two thumbs up from me.

Harry

LisaK November 25th, 2002 01:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New packing item

GREAT TIP - will add it to my list of cruise essentials.

Chyna November 25th, 2002 01:58 PM

I took one last year, will do again for sure this time!!
Chyna

Sue Sue December 1st, 2002 05:48 PM

Proper handwashing is necessary at all times. But isn't the Norwalk virus transmitted through contaminated food? Oysters and shellfish primarily? From what I read on the CDC board, the process for decontaminating all of the food prep related systems are underway on the affected ships. This type of problem, by the way, can happen anywhere, not just cruise ships.

Sue Sue December 1st, 2002 10:09 PM

I just looked back to the CDC board and read the interview with Dave Forney, Chief of CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program and Dr. Marc Adrain Widdowson, an Epidemiologist with the CDC. An interesting point from the interview is that it is generally felt that the Virus is passed person to person. The investigation is showing the spread of this disease has been caused mostly by passenger to passenger. That this viurs is somewhat common, however because a cruise ship is so contained, that person to person contact happens more often. Dr Widdowson states that the same Norwalk virus is also seen for intance in schools and hospitals. In fact, it mentions that food prep and storage is in check. The best way to handle this problem is prevention. Dr. Widdowson states that is so very important to wash hands properly and often.

rollerdonna December 2nd, 2002 09:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: New packing item

Not only will I be packing Purell, but I'll be avoiding the seafood as well...

mindy January 12th, 2003 09:28 PM

R: Re: New packing item

I carry Purell in my purse at all times. I use it each time I get into the car after being in a store. I use it under the table prior to eating in a restaurant. Sounds like obsessive, but something has cut way down on the number of colds I have each year.

Amanda January 17th, 2003 10:56 AM

Re: R: Re: New packing item

Also, Bath & Body Works carries something similar to Purell. It is called Anit-Bacterial Deep Cleansing Hand Gel (no water necessary). You can get it in many different smells. It is around $4.00 a bottle for 3 fl. oz.

karenl April 14th, 2003 07:32 PM

Got mine at www.ebags.com . They had a $10 off promotion so with shipping my set of 5 came in under $10. ebags runs promotions all the time - You can keep an eye on
www.bensbargains.net , the promotions are usually listed there.

Enjoy

Karen

Grodecki April 18th, 2003 01:27 AM

Never leave home without it!

Caribbean April 19th, 2003 12:16 PM

Great idea - thanks for the tip.

KTW35 April 22nd, 2003 03:04 PM

And some Brand Of Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer is a Must.Germs? Ewwwwww.

bob k May 14th, 2003 09:35 PM

I always carry a plastic container with moist towelettes and give them a liberal dose of rubbing alcohol before we leave. Please, I'm a newby and am very curious about the degreed signed numbers that are put at the end of a post? What the story? thanks

laurik1ke May 15th, 2003 06:32 AM

I think that you mean how many days till the next cruise. There is a way to do include a clock on here. I have one too, but it's not coming up right now.

Rich&Natalia May 15th, 2003 10:09 AM

Note that they're now advising against overuse of antibacterial soaps and gels. It's a good idea to use them when needed, but using them several times a day prevents healthy exposure to bacteria that will eventually inhibit building of a strong immune system.

Simply put, use those products only when you think you've touched something that can make you sick. I can tell you from personal experience that those apple fragrance antibacterial cream with moisturizers can be addictive - damn those Bath and Body Works people.

Robb May 21st, 2003 04:24 PM

Going on Sky June 14th. With this new outbreak of Norwalk virus on the Sky (alledgedly) as theSky has denied this report eventhough it was on The TV in Seattle. I think a can of Lysol is a pretty good idea.

Robb

LindaE May 25th, 2003 05:38 PM

Try the Clorox Wipes. They are not in a pressurized can like Lysol.