Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default Teens wear

Thanks to all who gave advice for me earlier, now I need to ask, what's expected of teen boys as far as formal night and dinner wear, or do they even have to dress and eat with us in the dining room, or can they do their own thing in the Carnival Teens club?
As for the rest of the time, I presume bathing suits, shorts and T's? Does anyone ever need a sweater in the Caribbean? (I know that is a stupid question, but we come from the cold North!!) Thanks, Donna.

Old December 20th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Teens wear

Donna, first off these are not stupid questions. if your boys are going to eat with you in the dining room on formal nights then they are expected to heed the dress code. If they have a nice dark suit, bring it, also consider renting a tux on board - usually runs $85-100 for a complete outfit for both nights. If you don't want to eat in the dinning room that's totally up to you. The dress code for the other nights is resort casual - this basically means no shorts or t-shirts in the dining room - wear something you would wear to a nice restaurant back home - think tropical! and yes, do bring a light sweater - for some reason the AC is always cranking in the dinning rooms, and it can get cool on deck at night. FYI my personal preference in my clothing is sundress and flat sandals for casual attire. Hope this helped LisaK
Old December 20th, 2002, 04:56 PM
First Mate

The boy do not have to eat in the dining room with you if you allow them not to, they can eat at the buffet on the lido deck, pizzeria, grill, deli, or wok.
If you would click on teens in the header of this page or the home page nd then click on "what an I gonna wear" you can get an idea of what a teenagers view is on proper attire for both boys and girls on formal night.
Old December 21st, 2002, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Teens wear

Thanks to you both, that was a big help. I'm getting the sleeves let down on my son's good jacket! Donna.
Old December 27th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Admiral

rollerdonna,

I recommend bringing or arranging appropriate formalwear for your teens, as their options will be open that way. Once they get aboard and discover that many of the other teens are dressing "to the nines" for formal night, they probably will want to do likewise to fit in.

Norm.
Old January 7th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Donna, if your teens is anything like ours (16) he wanted nothing to do with the dining room and was happy to partake in the food offered on the Lido Deck . I think he missed out on a lots of good food but he just doesn't appreciate the art of find dining..he likes to gulp and run
Old January 11th, 2003, 04:46 PM
HappyJo

Default Re: Re: Teens wear

Our family had gone on a cruise on the NCL Sky in 2001, with our 3 teens, our son, who was aged 14-going on 15 on the cruise; and our daughters who were 15 and 16. We always ate together for dinner in the dining room,. For formal nights, we got a family photo done at all the great photo opportunity spots around the ship. There were 2 formal nights. The first was the Captain's Dinner, which was the more formal of the two. For this, we really dressed up. The girls wore their long dresses and our son wore a dark suit (his graduation suit) and a shirt and tie. He also is the gulp and run type, but knew that formal night was important to all of us. For the second formal night, he wore the same suit with a different shirt and tie; the girls just wore a nice dress.

Our son really enjoyed the dining room atmosphere and our waiter was so good with them. They really had a blast and looked forward to dinner every night. They enjoyed the waiters dancing down the aisles with the flaming baked desserts, and doing the conga. It's all part of the dining room fun experience.

We are going on another cruise in March and are also bringing our eldest daughter, who is 21. This will be her first cruise as she wasn't able to join us for the 1st family cruise. Everyone is thoroughly excited and our son is again looking forward to the formal nights. He lives in jeans and a t-shirt, and doesn't see a problem with dressing up for just 2 nights of the 7. He knows that everyone will be dressed up on formal night and that these are "special" nights. The rest of the time he will wear khakis and a t-shirt with a Hawaiian shirt overtop to dinner in the dining room.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Teens wear

Well it's all over now, and the 2 boys actually did dress up in their best suits for the formal nights, and posed for pictures, but it was like pulling teeth! Even though they did join us in the dining room every night, they couldn't wait to get away, and even though the menu choices were superb, they both ate only cheeseburgers or pizza which our waiter so knowingly suggested. However, it was a wonderful experience and I am working on gettin those photos up on the photo gallery entitled New Year's Cruise.