Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2003, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Default Pre-Teen attire on formal nights???

The subject of appropriate attire on formal and other nights has gotten a LOT of attention lately, but I've found nothing on what's acceptable or appropriate for the kids.

We are cruising with our 10 and 11 year old daughters in March on RCI. Can anyone advise me as to what is appropriate for the girls to wear on formal night? I just can't fathom going out and buying them prom-type dresses that they'll grow out of before they ever have a chance to wear them again.

Has anybody out there cruised with pre-teens and can advise me as to what they've worn for formal nights?

Also, I just picked up some cute skorts and matching shirts for them for casual nights. Is this okay or not dressy enough?

I've cruised twice before with just my husband and never paid attention to what the other kids wore.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2003, 06:10 PM
Dorothy Fritz

Default Re: Pre-Teen attire on formal nights???

My advice is if your 10 and 11 year old are girls that like to dress up then put them in a nice Sunday or Easter fancy dress, fix their hair up and that will be sufficient. My daughter found a long pretty , but not extravagant formal, dress at Sears for less than 20 dollars and that is what she wore. As to the skorts they will be very acceptable on the casual nights.
Old February 6th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

kannis,

Standards do vary somewhat from line to line, but generally the same standards apply to children as to adults since the children wil participate in the formal nights.

Dorothy's advice seems pretty sound. A nice dress of the type that they would wear for a special event, such as a wedding or a major religious ceremony (baptism, confirmation, bar/bas mitzvah, etc.) at home, with proper accessories (panty hose or tights, dress shoes, necklace and matching earrings, etc.) should be fine. This does not have to be expensive.

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Pre-Teen attire on formal nights???

I have two sons that I cruise with. They are a bit older than your girls, but I solved the "what to wear on formal night" issue by going to Goodwill. I had no problem finding dark suitcoats... something they have no need for at home. For a few dollars I bet you can get great "wear it once" dresses for your girls. You might even find something for yourself while you're there... I usually do! It's a great place to find NEW (unworn, tags still attached) evening wear.

HTH,
Stacy
Old February 19th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Pre-Teen attire on formal nights???

HI! Because your daughters are only 10 and 11 I wouldn't suggest anything such as a prom dress, but you might try a consignment shop for a sun dress or easter dress for them. Stores such as Sears and Dilliards are putting many of their easter dresses on sale, so you might be able to get a good deal on a cute dress. Happy cruising!!!

Old February 21st, 2003, 07:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from the Carnival Pride last Saturday. My 12-year old daughter took a shorter purple dress(more like a sundress) that blended right in on formal night and had a skort and short skirt for other nights. My daughter is the more casual/sporty type, but we took a pair of black velvet pants ($14) and black dress pants with silver and blue attached chain belt to the front ($12 both from Sears) and she wore these pants most of the other nights mixing with different dressy or casual tops she already owned. Things don't need to be expensive. Also, remember to take a shawl (I took a dark purple 80" x 20" ($14 on sale from $40!) one that my daughter used over the sleeveless dress and as a afghan in the cabin.) or cardigan type sweater for evening strolls on the promenade or air conditioned rooms.

I don't feel you need to get a "prom dress" for the girls. Choose things that you can use over again. Also, the sandals my daugher has went with every outfit.

Happy Cruising,

Old May 4th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Pre-Teen attire on formal nights???

Hi! I wondered if you know if boys (age 9) have to wear jackets on formal nights or if a dress shirt and tie are OK??
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
Jamiegunter

If you have a Belks in your area, I noticed alot of fancy dresses in the girls department on clearance for 50-75% off just the other day. Good Luck