Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2003, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Default Luggage weights

Can anyone tell me the weights of luggage before we will be charged for too heavy baggage. I have heard it is 44# for 2 suitcases. That is way to light for a cruise. Any info will be great. Thanks. Char
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage weights

Log onto your airlines web page to check their luggage policies.
Old February 11th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Luggage weights

Hi CHar,
I've heard the weight limit for most airlines is 50 pounds, but definitely check with the airline you are using like Nana mentioned, they will also give you the deminisions that are legal size as well. Good luck!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Luggage weights

Thanks so much for all your help. I did contact my TA and she said it is 2 bags per person and a total for the 2 bags of 70#. I was getting worried that I couldnt get everything I wanted to pack in the cases. Again I appreciate the help. Char
Old February 16th, 2003, 05:49 PM
DebbieF

Default Re: Re: Re: Luggage weights

Hi Char,

Are you sure it is 70 lbs total for 2 cases? On UA, and Delta it is 50 lbs each, and Continental 70 lbs each. With my hard cases - 35 each would leave me with 2 shirts and a pair of pants to pack -lol! Deb
Old February 16th, 2003, 11:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Luggage weights

That is what my TA told me when I called her to ask her. I hope it is right. i will probably call the airlines to make sure before we go too. i dont want to pay for over weight. What a wasted of good money. HAHA Char
Old February 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Luggage weights

If anyone is flying Delta and purchased their tickets prior to February 1, 2003, you will be allowed up to 70lbs per bag - 2 checked bags per person. If you purchased your tickets February 1st 2003 or after, the 50lb limit applies. I called Delta and e mailed them and was told by the rep and by e mail that this is how the baggage weight limits will be handled.
Old March 5th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Storm Trooper

Default Luggage weights

Hi all,

For what its worth, I pondered over this question prior to our last cruise. It was a
16 day transatlantic leaving from Barcelona, Spain leaving on Oct 21, 2002.

There was no way I could pack everything I felt I needed in two small bags. I have this
HUGH LUGGAGE which is typical for international travel. One really big (oversize) by
current standards, one normal size (large) and a carry-on. After all I had read in the
papers about being charged for excess luggage, I called Lufthansa and was given
the normal speal about baggage weights, sizes, etc., and excess charges.

I decided that if I had to pay for excess baggage, thats the way it was going to be. I
was not going to fret any more about it and just resigned myself to the possibility.
My husband's luggage was as big as mine. Two of our female friends "crammed"
their stuff into acceptable bags.

Well, we checked in. No one even commented on the size of our luggage. Checked
four bags between us and carried on two. No excess baggage fees were charged.

Only way you will know for sure is when you actually check in.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:14 AM
MichelleM

We just came back from a cruise and I was worried about the weight limits. So I packed everything I wanted to take along and then put the suitcases on the scale at home to make sure they were all underweight, or to find out if I needed to transfer contents around. I was suprised to see that these stuffed suitcases were only about 35 lbs each. So unless you have heavy hardsided luggage you shouldn't have to much of a problem.

The enforcement of overweight fees seems to vary based on the check-in agent. Our bags were not weighed at all from either departure airport (Milwaukee and Fort Lauderdale) so we could of been overweight and it wouldn't of mattered.
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to KathyJud

Each airline website has different weight limits depending upon where you are going. For example on Northwest if you go to Asia it is two bags at 40 pounds each. But if it is to Europe it is 60 pounds. Within the US it is 50 pounds for each bag with a limit of two. They charge extra for over the weight limit per bag.

Old March 20th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Admiral

There is only one answer to this question and that is this: There is Not one answer to this question.
Every airline has different baggage restrictions as to both size , weight and number of check ins (and carry ons).
This is not a question to trust to your TA, The two bags totalling 70 lbs. sounds WRONG.
Only one way to get a correct answer, log on to the web site for your airline and see it in writing for yourself. Print it so you can have it with you if there is any question on airline check in.