CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   alchol (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/293988-alchol.html)

noj33 March 4th, 2003 01:58 PM

alchol

whats the deal with trying to get some alchol on board. if you packed the liquor in a checked bag would the crew still open the bag and check it again, after the air port checked it. if anyone knows for sure, or has some tips please send them.

thanks a million

jbb March 5th, 2003 09:14 AM

Re: alchol

I hear it is different from cruise line to cruise line. I read that Carnival now has no drinks of any kind can be brought on. I'm on Holland America Zaandam on 3/15 and hear you can carry on wine, sodas, etc. You can also wrap up booze and place it in the suitcases if you want. Did it in the past on HA and from what I hear its still ok to do this? Anyone else have anything on this?

florida cruiser March 5th, 2003 10:57 AM

Re: Re: alchol

We were on the Zaandam in Jan. and packed my liquor in my checked baggage and had no problem. Their duty free shop has great prices and only charges 20% to take to your room if you do not want to carry on board.

LisaK March 5th, 2003 01:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: alchol

each cruise line has a different policy. You need to have your TA check with the particular line you are cruising on. (FYI basic drinks on most ships don't cost much more than in any nice restaurant back at home)

Storm Trooper March 5th, 2003 03:41 PM

Hi,

We pack our liquor in "plastic travel bottles" in the bags which we intend to check, as
apposed to our "carry on" luggage. We generally pack three: gin, vodka, & bourbon
as you can buy these at your "friendly package store" before leaving home. This
amount normally lasts us through the cruise as it is primarily for "cabin use" only.
DO NOT OPEN these bottles before packing. The "tax" seals must be intack for them
to get thru airline x-rays. For addit'l protection, place them in "sealed baggies" in case
they should happen to leak. Thus far, this has worked for us.

RCCL has luggage scanning equipment at the ship boarding area which every bag
is sent through. They have a sign posted that states they will take all liquor and return
it to you at the end of the cruise.

I have seen people take liquor on board, some of it picked up, some not. Pay your money and take your chances. Now, I just read that Carnival (never cruised on them,
and don't plan to) is now taking up soft drinks and water!!!! if you try to take them on
board.

HBCLandau March 6th, 2003 03:07 PM

I don't know about the baggage checks, but i did hear about a group called the NBK going on a cruise in April.

KathyJud March 18th, 2003 02:01 PM

Re: Re: alchol

If you are of legal age I don't see why you can't bring alcohol aboard. They let you on Holland America and even sell it at the port in Ft. Lauderdale for you to take onboard. We are going on Princess and they say absolutely no alcohol should be brought onboard. This is just to force you to buy their drinks onboard. They won't even let you bring a bottle you buy onboard to your cabin and hold it until the end of the cruise. This makes me very unhappy.

SeattleTraveler April 30th, 2003 07:10 PM

Two years ago on a Princess cruise out of San Juan we brought (in our carry-on) small bottles of liquor (2) and 1 bottle of wine. We had no problem whatsoever. It was for in cabin consumption only - I like to point this out as I think it would be tacky to openly do so in public areas. My attitude is if I can save a little on liquor, it's that much more $$ I can put towards my next cruise! LOL
An important point to note is that was pre-September 11, and I do not know if things have tightened up since then. We leave on Carnival Destiny out of San Juan this Sunday (woo hoo!!) and I've been trying to get info about the current situation without much success. So we plan to take, in our checked bags, plastic unopened bottles of liquor. I can assure you we won't be buying top shelf stuff, as it would make me cry if they took my Bombay. So it'll be Gordons for us.

Happy cruising!