Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2003, 05:16 PM
First Mate

Default overdressing as bad as underdressing?

This might be a really strange question. We'll be cruising the first time this September. My daughter- who will be 9 and isn't one of those wild dragons I've heard so much about on this board- wants to get dressed up very badly. Funny, because people trying to convince her she'd like a cruise told her, "and you don't have to get dressed up in a gown anymore", but that's what she wants to do.

Is it inappropriate to overdress for dinner? We're talking about a 4 day Disney cruise, with no formal night, but she's set on having the whole family dress up once, and I for one would love a nice dress, haven't had one since my prom!

All comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Julie
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: overdressing as bad as underdressing?

Hi Julie,
As far as I'm concerned you can never be over-dressed, I'd say go ahead and pack that dress for your daughter. After having dinner the first night she may want to wear or may-be not, but if she has it, why not wear it. Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:03 AM
MichelleM

Default Re: Re: overdressing as bad as underdressing?

It would make a sweet family picture. Generally their are photographers all over the ship and you can have as many pictures taken as you want and only buy the ones that actually turn out.
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Admiral

I probably would not go to the expense of a full length gown purchase for Mother & daughter, but nice light nylon floral longer length dresses (think Easter) would look very tropical and dressy for any evening. Dad could wear a navy blazer with or without a tie and look very sharp. Sounds like your young fashion plate wants a shopping trip before you sail. Go for it mom!
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Passenger

I think it is great to see little girls dressed up and have enjoyed watching them look like angels.

Old March 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Admiral

i think its a great idea, purchase her a pretty spring dress, and a pair of nice sandals. You can do the same thing, no gowns required.
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:33 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the comments. She desperately wants a gown. The poor girl has been trying to marry off her older cousins for years so she can be a flower girl just to get that gown.

Thanks again,
Julie
Old March 11th, 2003, 05:39 PM
susancruzs

I'd say go for it, as suggested by Nanatravel, and have your family picture taken. It would be fun and the photographers will definitely help out with a nice back drop!

Enjoy your cruise!

Susie
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Cath

Go for it!

My daughter is 9 and also loves to dress. Fortunately we have a formal night on our upcoming cruise, but if not, you better believe we'd be packing a gown and wearing it. I wouldn't give a hoot what other cruisers thought. My only tip would be to dress up also. If you are at a table with other families, you might want to give them a head's up (I don't know how seating arrangements work on Disney). Maybe on the first night, find a way to work it into the conversation. You know, something like "Isn't it funny? My daughter wanted a formal night so bad, that we're going to have a little formal night on our own!
;-)

Good luck and above all have a blast!!!
-cath
LEGEND NYC 10/4/03
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:12 PM
*Genia*

i've been on a 4 day disney cruise and they do have a formal night! if your daughter

wants to dress up let her. when i went the dress was everthing from formal to resort

casual.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:22 PM
tigercat

Default Re: Re: Re: overdressing as bad as underdressing?

We took my granddaughter on a 4 day Disney cruise (the Wonder) and we had a formal night. She got all dressed up.
tigercat