Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

Hate to be a party pooper here, but unless you have some super stars and steps the glow won't last. My kids have the stars in their rooms. After the light is on for awhile they "charge up" and will glow for awhile in the dark. After an hour or so they don't glow any longer. You might want to check this before taking them with you only to find out they don't serve their purpose.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Mark&Deb

Default Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

About the bungee cord-on the Radiance our glass sliding door was perfect - it stayed open just fine w/o bungee. Most valuable things - a few clothespins to put our suits & a few beach things on the chairs on the balcony & a "touch-lite"&digital clock combination.

Mark&Deb
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
becky serio

I am sailing alaska july 30 new ship princess diamond with balcony inland passage still not sure what we need duct tape for? walkie talkies good idea any problem with the ship not wanting us to use them ? still not sure what to pack ? any advise on day trips which ones are the best? stopping in the usual places i am told thanks for the advise.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
Trish1c

I wish I brought a highlighter marker so I could identify what I wanted to do each day on my daily itinerary. There were always so many choices. I'd decide on something at breakfast, then miss it 'cause I forgot.

I also forgot my little purse for sea pass, keys etc. I ended up having fun shopping for one in a craft fair at the first port & it has become the "official" cruise purse / wallet on a string.

To whoever asked -- the duct tape has many uses:

* resealing your suitcase at the end of the cruise b/c you bought too much
* keeping drawers closed when the ship does roll
* fixing things, including that hem that ripped out accidently

etc.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Passenger

Zip-Lock bags for all the beach treasures. And for the smelly clothes you might have to bring home. You cans stuff more clothes in your suitcase by putting them in the bags and squeezing the air out.

Old February 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Also, medium size post-it notes to leave messages for your cabin mate(s) and room steward. Further, extra batteries for camera and any other battery operated item and/or its chargerand film. It is very $$ on ship and in ports. Don't forget the necessaries like toothpaste. Did this once and you would be amazed at what a small tube costs on ship or in 1st port. I could have had another frozen thingee.
I am leaving in 6 weeks and have already done the major work on my packing list spreadsheet (have it in excell this time been meaning to do that for several years/cruises)
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Passenger

how about a copy of that spread sheet. It might help us all
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM
DH

This will be our first cruise. Thanks for all the tips. This is more fun than making out a Christmas list. Just returned from Cozumel however and I do suggest taking bug spray. We are still scratching. Laughing at the duct tape suggestion. Someone in our party did bring it and it was confiscated during inspection at the border. Seems it could bind someones hands. He planned to make it easier to find his luggage by wrapping it with tape. Oh well! 11 more sleeps till we sail...
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Ok - this may seem dumb - but what about Kleenex? I am on Voyager in May - do they have it in your room, or should I bring a box?
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:05 PM
christine fischer

There will be tissues in your room. However, bring a purse pack on the plane with you...
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:37 PM
SOME GUY

BRING WALKIE-TALKIES. THEY REALLY HELP IF YOU HAVE KIDS WHO DONT WANT TO STAY W/ YOU THE WHOLE CRUISE.
TICKETS AND PASSPORTS ARE THING TO NEVER FORGET
AN OPEN MIND. I HATE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERY LITTLE THING
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Passenger

hi, can you tell me where to find the edit profile.. im a newby at this message board.. thanx, olivia
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:53 AM
mypugbuddy

Wow, some really great suggestions here for first time cruisers like myself. Thanks everyone!

Tammy
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Brade

Will we need to take shower gel, shampoo, soap? Victory (carnival)
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Brade

Will we need to take shower gel, shampoo, soap? Victory (carnival)
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

Shower gel maybe but no to shampoo & soap. However u might want to consider taking your own as some that is provided you might not like. I find conditioning shampoo (which is what most of it is) no good for my hair and the soap very drying. Hope this helps. Don't u just 'love' this board - so helpful and some 'folks' are so funny too! Happy cruisin'!
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

More money! lol

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Thanks, everyone for your sugestions, going on my first cruise in Aug, and I really appreciate your suggestions, Jan
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Victory has great shampoo and liquid soap (coconut scent). I have very sensitive skin and no problems at all on the Victory.

Golden Princess
Old March 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to kellykimmelman Send a message via MSN to kellykimmelman Send a message via Yahoo to kellykimmelman

I don't know if this works for mens pants or anything, but it works for mine..

fold each pair in half so that the legs are on top of each other. pile each pair on top of each other and fold over.. it take up a lot less room in my suitcase..

also get a gallon plastic baggie for shampoo, conditioner, gel, hairspray, perfume, etc.. this will keep them together and prevent any possible spills onto your clothes!

stick socks and underwear inside shoes to save space

Rhapsody of the Seas - April 2004
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Passenger

If you forget something, in the first port go to a grocery store. The cofee we wanted in San Juan was $18 in the tourist shops. We paid $5.99 in the grocery store.
Always have a great cruise.
Jill

Old April 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Seebee

We're going on Alaska cruise, June 23, 2004 on the Princess Sapphire (sister ship to yours). I don't really know how to dress for this cruise, carribbean cruises were no problem---summer stuff but Alaska---? Anyhow I'll be happy to email you after my cruise is over. We return home on July 7. Spending 3 days in Vancouver before sailing and 3 days in Seattle after the cruise. Wow all these extras people are saying to pack will require a trunk--duct tape, power strips, markers, etc. Oyyyyyy!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Passenger

For parents with small children:

A couple sand toys...we did an excursion in Grand Cayman at a beach resort...and I didn't have anything for my youngest to make sand castles with...they had a little gift shop and I went in and bought a bag of sand toys...for a pretty penny as you can imagine.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:06 PM
luv cruising

hi eveyone loved the tape idea we are going to bermuda with a balcony in june on the crown and never gave that one a thought great idea thanks
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Passenger

More RUM! Didn't take enough last trip ended up buying more in one of the ports. Also binoculars. Had a balcony upgrade and these would have been nice to have.
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

How much rum would you recommend taking, it's my drink of preference?
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

I bought Rum in plastic bottles so it wasn't a big bottle to begin with . The bottles were not the small ones you buy on airplanes though. I am unsure of how much were in them. I took 2 bottles of rum and ended up buying more in Jamaica. (It was cheap enough there and sooo good. We bought bananna and cocoanut flavored.) I am taking 5 bottles with me next time. I also pack an insulated mug so I can take some juice from the buffett to mix with my rum. I packed pineapple juice and cranberry juice last trip but won't do this on the next trip. I found plenty of juice on ship ,although not those two, that worked just fine. Hint: Get your mug filled with orange juice in the morning or it will be gone in the afternoon. If you drink coke with your rum then you may want to pack a 12 pk of that or you can buy it on ship. We still had a $500 + bar tab so it wasn't like the ship losat $ on us! Hubby likes his beer and once in awhile I had beer also. I packed the rum in ziplock bags - two bags for each bottle. I had it in my checked luggage and had no problem getting it in my cabin. The rum we bought in port was poured in a water bottle I bought before getting off ship. I had some rum we checked also so I think it helped so my beach bag didn't get searched and the "water" went unnoticed. Hope this helped you some.
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Angel

Some pre-measured amounts of powdered detergent in double Zip-loc bags. I had to do laundry on my cruise to Bermuda and was glad to have my own brand. You could take liquid detergent in an empty sample-size bottle of shampoo. Also, take a couple of dryer sheets as well.
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
tazee

hmmmm johnny depp!!!!!!!!
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:07 AM
Familiar Face

As many people have already mentioned, you can never have enough zip-loc bags. I pack all my leakable and breakable items in them. I also bring a few extra for wet or smelly clothes that cannot be cleaned before leaving. This prevent the other clothes from getting dirty. Also, zip-loc bags are great for the million shells and other beach finds that your children just "HAVE TO" bring home, no sand all over everything. Zip-loc bags are also a great way to keep wallets, watches, and other items dry when on excursions. Sometimes you don't want to leave valuables laying around and if absolutely have to bring them with you, stick them in a small zip-loc bag and put it a pocket. Keeps them dry and close by.