Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
TGeorge

Default Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

Do you need to bring hairdryers on the Glory?
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Glory has hairdryers in each cabin - they work just fine - TTFN Jennifer
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Sea the World

This will sound silly, but I pack a small baggie of bird seed. For example, there you are in front of the Doges' Palace in Venice and you can make a hundred pigeons land all over you to eat the seed. It really is hilarious and makes for a good photo opp!!
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Passenger

I always try to pack LESS.
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Passenger

I read on another board somewhere that bringing along an over the door shoe holder was a must . This is a great idea not only for shoes but for lotion,sunscreen ect. We will have 4 people in our cabin and that is a lot of shoes, although my boys shoes are to large to fit in those but I know mine will. Thanks everyone!

Navigator 6-12-04
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Admiral

we packed a small fan, woolite, febreeze, fabric wrinkle decreaser, sand toys, plastic pitcher & a can of Lipton peach tea.... we left it all in our room with a note to the steward... if you dont want any of these items please give them to someone who will.... he was so grateful... he couldnt believe it.... We almost left our snorkel fins but hubby decided @ last minute to take them with us...

If you plan to participate in any silly games... take a bag of craft items... we adopted a horse for the horse race & we had to dress it... I recommend beads, ribbons, fake eyelashes... its great fun !!
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Bahamabound

A babysitter for children who do not want to participate in the kids club! (my two wanted NO part of it!)
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bahamabound... I've taken my boys on three cruises. The older one went once to an activity, came back and announced it wasn't for him. The younger one went once each cruise and also said it wasn't for him. I'd encourage your children to go to ONE activity the first day (usually at sea so they won't be missing anything) and then, if they really don't like it or fit in they don't have to go back. They might be surprised and like it. They might strike up a friendship around the pool... then those kids might suck your kids into the program. So don't give up!
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Bahamabound

MaineCruiser: Believe me I tried (several times and different ideas!) I think I will wait a couple of years before taking them on another cruise, (unless I can take my mom with me!)
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Vanisle

Is there no lights in the inside cabin bathrooms?
You all have such great ideas.
Thanks

HAL -Volendam
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Sherjer

Whenever I travel with the kids I always bring a hole puncher and one of those flexible key chains that you can wear around your wrist. It is so much easier to wear your "key card" around your wrist then searching for it in the bottom of a bagif you don't have pockets.
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Admiral

yes there are lights in the inside cabins... it just gets a little darker as you have no light from the windows... we were aft on Celebration, our cabin was in the wake... the water was beautifully lit all night... it was our own little night lights... (little ? NOT)
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Passenger

I brought WAY too many clothes with me on my first cruise last May.I simply didn't need 3 full changes of clothes for each day.I am SURE glad I packed duct tape and a leatherman. I used both quite a bit.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Passenger

just bought a small, zippered bag w/ elastic straps for our perscription meds-seems alot better than having to rummage through the room safe for the right bottle.

ditto on the bubble wrap-i just buy a couple of rolls and pack them w/some sturdy tape.

laundry tabs-the boxes come w/prewrapped packages of the tabs (less messy than a ziplock bag that breaks open mid trip!

double ditto on the over the door shoe holder-done this on both cruises as well as hotel vacations-saves so much time not to mention counter space.

labels preaddressed for mailing postcards (don't have to bring along my address book)-works esp. well for the kids.

inflatable "water wings" for the little ones-most liners don't carry due to liability issues.

I am considering investing in a small portable dvd player for next trip-I can use a cd carrier for the dvd's & this could provide some quiet entertainment for kids.

sarong-use it as a skirt, bathing suit cover, shawl....
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bring something to decorate your door. Makes it so much easier to find your cabin, especially late at night when maybe you've had a little too much fun (is there such a thing?)! Plus, it can be a neat conversation starter with your neighbors, especially if youu make it personal like a birthday or anniversary theme. I also think this is a great thing when you have kids so they can find "home" easily.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:16 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

we did decorate for our Halloween Disney Cruise a couple of years back but I made the mistake of including some spare trick or treat bags on the door. Someone kindly filled every one to the brim with candy-my kids were thrilled, we were not and kept leaving handfulls of candy everywhere we went (hey, I'm no Grinch but there are only so many sweettarts the human body can safely consume).

I forgot to include in my earlier post-

KEEP COOL or MIGRANE ICE patches (esp. for those of you crazy, I'm sorry "adventurous" enough to go to places of intense heat and humidity at the peak of the summer)-these are adhesive patches that are use to lower a child's fever or assist in minimize a migrane. I use these regularly when we are at outdoor events to assist in staying cool-I just put one on the nape of my neck and below the neckline of my shirt. The difference is amazing.

HEAT PATCHES-these are similar but have the opposite affect. If like myself, you have any back problems (that always flare up post airline flights, luggage lugging, kid chasing...) these can provide tremendous relief.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:12 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

What is a "leatherman". I've seen this mentioned on two different posts and I don't have a clue what it is.
Thanks. :-)

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:01 AM
pamyla

How about a cheapo watch that you can take to the beach.....
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:38 PM
La Rae

Default What are the things you wish you brought?

Hi,
A Leatherman is a pocket-sized multi-purpose fold-up tool which is sort of similar to a Swiss Army knife--it includes scissors, screwdrivers, etc. I don't have one but wish I did!
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

The traveler's checks (I forgot them at home)!!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Passenger

where do I find the laundry tabs?
LeiLoni

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Passenger

More t-shirts, I packed fairly nice clothes. I wish I had more to just hang out in.

Elation
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Passenger

Good call Jim!!!

Elation
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I pack about a dozen or so extra clothes hangers.

Cruiseships and hotels never have enough for all the clothes I bring. I just take the wire kind you get from cleaners. They don't take up much space and if you don't feel like bringing them home, you're not out any thing.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Admiral

more money !!!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
kk

These are excellent ideas!!! Thank you all so much!!!
~KK
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Mary Lou Piscopo

The things I won't travel without:

ice bag - for bruises, sprains, etc.
lots of plastic zip lock bags
old underwear (don't laugh - I save mine when they start to fray and then throw them
away during travel - leaves room for buying stuff
Clothes that I don't want anymore - same reason as above
lesport sac "wallet" = small (6" x 4") with 3 zippers (holds money, travelers checks,
passports, coins, a pen with out the bulk of a regular wallet
extension cord - outlets always out of reach
bathroom light to plug in
pictures of my kids and grandkids
labels with addresses ready for postcards
journal
books to read, paperback
index cards to write what you do each day to transpose into journal
before I had a digital camera, I used to put a small square label on my rolls of film
which I would # after each roll was finished, so my pictures were in order after
developing. After a while, one mountain looks like all the rest.
On our Baltic cruise in Aug, I'm taking 2 inexpensive fold up coolers to bring lunch for
long days touring with private guides. Saves time not having to stop for lunch, also
keeps water cool.
extra luggage tags in case one falls off during travel, or if you have to buy an extra to
hold all the shopping
guide books, maps (I tear out the pages of specific places I'm going so I don't need
the entire book.

There may be more things, but I'm out of time.

Good traveling everyone

Mary Lou
Old June 14th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Ed Watson

Default Re: Re: Re: What are the things you wish you brought?

Been to Alaska and found it to be wonderful. Take bug spray as the flies can be bad. As far as clothing////////Most days were warm and shorts were fine but the glassers were so cold. Wound up buying ear muffs. Take some.
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Dyxiegirl

Becky, I'm on the same cruise! You are the first I have seen to be on DP 7/30. I was planning on bringing walkie talkies, but then I read that the parents of kids in the kid center get pagers, so I nixed it.
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Re: walkie-talkies. We use them house-to-house (our son lives next door) and they work fine. (Not cheapies -- I would say mid-grade Motorolas with a "6-mile range." That's a laugh, I expect.

Anyway, we wondered if they worked on the ship, with all that metal and such between you and your travel-mates. We thought it would be smart to have them, given that when you cruise with others, you seem to spend a lot of time trying to find them! Any experience with the w-t's would be welcomed!

Love the postings ... mostly very educational, and a lot of fun, too! (I don't mind the cranks ... they just spice up the mix!

Sailing Aug 2 on the Dawn Princess -- Vancouver to Alaska!