Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Sue & Kevin

Default Carry on luggage

With only four days to go, my husband and I were finishing up our packing, he saw that I was using my small roller type suitcase, and he began laughing. When I asked him what was so funny, he pointed to my suitcase. Personally I was not amused and saw nothing wrong with it. So the debate began.
Rather than go into all the pro’s and con’s I thought I would submit a post – and get others opinion.
What do you use?
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Carry on luggage

Hi S&K..
We use 2 large rollers for checked stuff, 2 smaller rollers (that hook to the large) for spares and then the small duffles for carry-ons. We're learning to pack smarter, so we might be able to ditch one of the pieces,soon. Happy kruzin'
SSaFWs..ED
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Carry on luggage

Hi Sue,
If the small suitcase is a carry-on, just make sure its small enough to fit through the x-ray machines at the airport and the port, otherwise use something smaller. I use a regular carry-on type bag, then we have another one for all the camera stuff, since you can't pack that in the check-in luggage..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Carry on luggage

i do the old-fashioned "train case" for my carry-on. It holds all the basic essentials- i have a fanny pack for documents, id's, etc. Hubby has the camera bag, fanny pack, and backpack(extra clothes)
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Sue & Kevin

Thank you everyone for the information.

Guess I can't use the steamer trunk! (Just kidding.)
I have one large (expanding) for the checked in, and then a smaller roller type for my carry on. So it sounds like I should be ok.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Passenger

My small rolling suitcase which I used to use for carryon is now technically too large. If yours still fits the regulations, I say it's the best way to go! These days I carry my wheeled computer bag with a big tote bag that I can balance on top while walking to the gate, but I'm thinking of buying a new smaller rolling bag for our upcoming cruise, since we're not taking the computer. I need my wheels!

What my husband always finds amusing is my really huge rolling bag, dubbed "Suitcase-o-saurus". I hope he fits under the beds in our cabin. Er...the suitcase, not my husband. ;-)

Btw, I really love having a tote bag when I travel. I put my purse and camera case _inside_ the tote bag, giving them extra protection against being left behind or grabbed when I'm not looking, and the tote is great for carrying purchases, binoculars, a sweater, snack, water bottle, etc. Everything is quickly accessible and where I can see what's happening to it, unlike with a backpack. As an added bonus, I've never had an airline challenge me carrying a tote bag as a "second carryon", presuambly since it qualifies as a big purse (though of course I always try to be considerate about the size of anything I put in the overhead bin). I suppose for Alaska I should use a backpack instead, but maybe I'll just get a tote with a zippered top.

Old May 7th, 2003, 01:24 PM
KTW35

Why can't a Steamer Trunk be used? My Girlfriend is using hers when we sail May 24 on the Triumph.We will have only that as Checked and 2 Bags for Carry-on.
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
KTW35

When u say too large u mean as a carry-on for the airplane?There can't be a size limit for the ship,correct?
Old May 7th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Passenger

At least on the RCI web site, I can't find any baggage size standards (maybe the cruise docs will have some).

Old May 8th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Admiral

2 carry on with wheels and a check in with wheels. as far as size restrictions, if this is for airlines I would go to your airlines website it should be posted there.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I personally haven't been on a plane for about seven years but my hubby can pack for a weeks buisness trip in one of the smaller rolling suitcases which he uses as a carry on. He hates checking things in.

I say you go girl.
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Andee

Airlines have weight restrictions as well as size restrictions for checked luggage. Having an overweight bag can be very pricey.
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:16 PM
MaxMax

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carry on luggage

Agree with Andee. Check with your airline to be sure about what is allowed and what isn't. If you happen to be lucky enough to be flying Alaska Airlines, you can take more with you. Alaska Airlines is one of the few (perhaps the only?) that still allows up to 70 lbs for each checked bag. They are also fairly generous with regard to carry-ons. We called them yesterday with specific questions, and they were extremely helpful.
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carry on luggage

I agree with Max-Max. about Alaska Airlines. I will be using them when I fly to Seattle in June for a cruise. 70lbs is great since AA has cut back to 50 lbs. The gal at the ticket counter for Alaska Airlines said that Alaska will be changing their weight limt but didn't know when. I called Alaska Airlines directly and was told that it will be a few months yet before they change if in fact they do at all.

Robb