Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Default Need help finding a cocktail dress.

i have a long gown for formal night # 1. Looking for a cocktail dress for formal night # 2- not black. Any suggestions as where to look? I live in Massachusetts. On -line links would be helpful also
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Need help finding a cocktail dress.

Not knowing your age, size or figure, I always make out at the end of a season on the sale racks with a discount coupon at Filenes, Macy's, JC Penny's or even Sears. Rarely do I spend more than $30. Don't wait until a week before you sail, as that will just add stress to your travel anxiety. Good Luck. I just learned that Fruggal Fannies went under, so maybe there will be some sales there soon.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would try Spiegel, they have a really nice selection. Also, you can try Nordstrom's online also.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Need help finding a cocktail dress.

Try Dillard's . In the juniors department they have their proms dresses on sale. I got two for less than $15 each.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Need help finding a cocktail dress.

i buy all my gowns and other dresses from Ebay. I have never paid more then $20 for a dress. They have new tags on them and havent been disapointed yet. Love the late night shopping all by myself. No crowded stores either... Have some fun.... Charcantwaittogo wrote:

> Try Dillard's . In the juniors department they have their proms
> dresses on sale. I got two for less than $15 each.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Need help finding a cocktail dress.

thanks for the advise ladies, it seems that i kill myself running around from store to store and yet i always end up at my old stand-by - Filene's will watch for the end of season sales w/coupons. I checked-out JC Penney and Sears and felt that for the most part, most of the dresses were either to "promish" or to "matronly"(no offense to anyone, for my particular tastes).
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

I have noticed some very stylish dresses in the local malls in the windows of Cache -- and they seem to change several times each week. I have no idea how expensive they are.

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich
Default Re: Re: Re: Need help finding a cocktail dress.

I wish we had a Dillard's in England. Most of the cocktail dresses in England cost about 100. I have two teenage daughter and myself to buy for. Help!!!! I can see that it is going to be an expensive time for us before we set sail.
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Passenger

try a bridal shop- look on the sale rack and at the prom dresses..I just bought 3 gowns at a bridal shop on the sale rack and they were also her samples..good prices too..
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

www.rampage.com

Youthful Junior dresses. May sure to look at "Evening Dresses" AND "Day Dresses."

Dana

Post Edited (05-29-03 15:53)

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old June 1st, 2003, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nordstroms.com has a wide selection in styles and sizes.
Silhouestts.com has a great selection of all types of cruise closthes in sizes 14W-38W.
Borrow something from a friend or check out the vintage dress up clothes in your grandmothers closet. Grandma's is also a great source for evening bags and glitery jewlery.
Buy some new jewlery (there's a lot on sail after prom season) to dress up something you already own.
One thing about dressing for a cruise, you don't have to buy new clothes, 99% of the people have never seen you wearing that outfit before.
If you're cruising the Caribbean or Mexico, you'll find lots of resort wear that is suitable for the 2nd formal night. It will also give you a chance to show off your new tan.
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Yeoman

I just started cruising and found myself in the same dilemna. Since I'm not a high-society person who is always invited to black-tie events, I now shop at Marshall's or Ross's and buy dresses for about less than $30 dollars and just keep them in my cruise-wear closet. It saved me the stress of buying something last minute. As a matter of fact I just bought two short informal dresses and one long dress--all for under $60. I'm now looking for some inexpensive wraps to go over them, again, Marshall's is great for that.

I've done the same for dress shoes, not paying more than $20 a pair. My next cruise is in December and I'm all set. But I'm still looking out for the bargains.

PS: I'm orginally from NY and I miss Filene's, Miami doesn't have one.

Happy Cruising.
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:18 AM
First Mate

Hi I also live in Massachusetts and agree with Cathy to try Marshalls....I purchased one of my formal night dresses there....but for my first formal night I wanted something.....really formal....I wanted to go all out. I found this great website cybergown.com....a company out of california....and my gown came in yesterday...it is beautiful....$41 and $12 shipping........was delivered in about a week....go check it out....I don't think you'll be sorry.
Old June 16th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Yeoman

Bridal clothes shops
Old June 19th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Passenger

Do you know of a web address for Marshalls? and also do they ship to england?
Becky
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:12 PM
First Mate

Default Marshalls official website!

http://www.marshallsonline.com/

I'm not sure about shipping...but this is their official website....good luck!
Old June 27th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce
Default royal caribbean cruise...FORMAL NIGHT?

please help....
I have never cruised before and I am not one to dress up.....
what do you wear to the captains dinner/dance/formal night?????

I am a plus size 18.
any suggestions. thank you.

joyce
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:38 AM
susancruzs

I gave up the dress routine awhile ago although I still have two that I may take for a longer cruise!

I wear a very dress pair of black pants, with a long sparkly top I made. The second formal night I wear same pants and a shell/fancy jacket I bought on sale (actually the beads, decorations were falling off so because I sew they gave me a deal)!

I've never felt out of place or underdressed because you see all kinds of different types of dresses, jumpsuits, cocktail dresses, pants suits, you name it, you'll see it.

Shop your usual stores and you'll find something!

Susie
Old July 5th, 2003, 06:53 AM
kelly_girl64

I bought a beautiful new Betsy Johnson dress through ebay and love it!!
Old September 4th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Maggie's Mom

Try going to wedding dress stores. They usually have a nice selection of "last season's" bridesmaid's and party dresses for under $40. Most are actually nice and don't make you look pathetic like traditional bridesmaid's dresses. David's Bridal is my favorite for cheap finds.
Old September 6th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

Joyce......I am a size 18 too. I live in NJ. I just bought two dresses for my first cruise in January. The first one I bought in Fashion Bug and the second one I found just last weekend at TJ Maxx. I bought them both for $40 each. The one I found at Fashion Bug is a long dress (black with a lot of sparkles). I f you do go to Fashion Bug there are always coupons in circulars so keep your eye out. My dress was originally $50 and I used a $10 coupon. If nothing else you could always try the department stores like Macy's or Nordstroms. I love Lane Bryant, but they don't have much as far as dresses go and if they do they are more on the casual side. Hope this helps.

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Beth S.

I am a soon to be first time cruiser too and size 18 (thanks to my 1st pregnancy ). I went to Value City Department Store and found a plain, short, tank dress in black....then I went to Walmart and bought some fancy trim by the yard and sewed it to the bottom. The whole thing cost less than $12.....origianal price tag on the dress was $50!! I bought a $6 hot pink silk sash to throw over my shoulders and give it a punch. Then, for those who really want to be creative, I found 2 Ronnie Nicole dresses at Goodwill for $3.98 a piece....same fabric, but 2 different sizes and styles. The one that fit me was tweaked by cutting a V neck front and back. I used the top 1/2 of the one that is too big and made a jacket with 3 quarters sleeve and a shawl. That way if it's cool out I'll have something to cover me.
I am going to TJ Maxx to look for some fancy tops. They also have some shawls and cute shoes! My mom found some great shoes at Value City....silver beaded slip on heels! She's wearing this awesome red dress, so the shoes will give it a great finished look!!
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:48 AM
char Hempler

I shop Ebay a lot too. Have a ball. Half the fun is the dress shopping for the cruise. Happy cruising. Enjoy!! Char
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Melissa Pasquantonio

Frugel Fannies is back in Westwood only
Old September 27th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Gal1974 Send a message via MSN to Gal1974

I couldnt find this website>>>>Any suggestions>>>>

Silhouestts.com has a great selection of all types of cruise closthes in sizes 14W-38W.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LGalla9464 Send a message via MSN to LGalla9464

The Lane Bryant stores DO NOT have alot of choices, but the Roaman's and Lane Bryant Websites do. Also check out the clearance items. Somegreat sales here on dressy/formal/cocktail dresses that will really fit the bill.
Laura

Happy Shopping!
Old October 26th, 2003, 10:22 PM
shoe

This is the correct website....

http://www.silhouettes.com/
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Melissa Pasquantonio

I found formal night #2 dress which is not a long dress at Filenes.
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:02 PM
jaDE~

I find the perfect place to purchase lovely cocktail or formal evening wear is at the Goodwill Store or any other type of re-sale clothing store. The bargains are fantastic!
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Candice

If you have Ross or TJ Maxx there are great buys.