Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Neecy

Default pantyhose?

Is it inappropriate NOT to wear pantyhose with a formal dress?
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: pantyhose?

Hi Nancy,
I think this is definitely a personal thing, but I would never not wear them on a formal night, for others it may be different?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 15th, 2003, 03:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: pantyhose?

I think it is tacky to see pantyhose with open-toe shoes. I know they are suppose to have special pantyhose for open-toe shoes but I've never seen them. I just make sure I get a pedicure before. If you are not wearing open-toe, then that is a different story. I was recently in a wedding party with a group of very fashionable woman....Manhattan and LA....and this question came up....it is concidered taboo these days....but it is personal preference. In the end you have to be comfortable.
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:54 PM
New Yorker

Default Re: Re: Re: pantyhose?

Hi,

I had lately been wondering about this myself and had been flipping through pages on magazines to see what celebrities had been wearing at galas, etc. (a little hard to tell on mag pages, but it seems most wear open toes/sandals...) I HAD NOT worn panty hose at formal nights because I prefer to wear sandals/open toes, so I just had a nice pedicure.... I, however, have seen those open toes panty hose, they are sold at specialty shops, those that carry only stockings, sexy lingerie and leotards, in New York I also once saw them at Century 21 Dept. Store. Did not think of it prior to the cruise, will check it out next time.... I think that if the dress is long or ankle lenght one can possibly get away without the stockings, but with the shorter cocktail dresses it may be a good idea to look into those open toes panty hose. Will try it on my next cruise. Good luck to all!!!

New Yorker
Old June 16th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: pantyhose?

Don't wear pantyhose with open toe shoes is the rule, regardless of dress length. However, people should do what they are comfortable with. I don't think anyone really cares.
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: pantyhose?

if you are wearing a closed-toe shoe, then i would say definately wear pantyhose, if you are wearing sandals, paint your toes, shave your legs, and i like to use those moisturizers with a hint of shimmer in them. If you want the control that some pantyhose give you, you can either wear a control foundation garment or you can cut the legs off your pantyhose leaving the control part.