Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Beginner

Default Dress for the QE2

We are sailing on the QE2 August 17. We have 4 formal nights if we eat in our assigned dining room - the Mauretania. Do we have to wear formal long dresses or can we wear a long skirt and alternate with different tops? Would a dressy pantsuit be acceptable?

My husband was a breeze to dress for this big event. We are still struggling with my wardrobe. All dressy dresses or evening clothes are designed for the young to mid-40s or 50s. I don't think the passengers would appreciate viewing a 70 something female in shoestring straps and a v-neck plunging to the navel.

We will be touring England and Canada for 2 months, so we are limited in our packing. Any suggestions for evening wear would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress for the QE2

Enid, i think that dressy long skirts with a dressy top, -maybe something with a hint of sparkle, dressy silk, or crepe pants with a dressy top- do you have a brocade or sequin jacket? that would be fantastic with a pair of flowing crepe pants, all are great choices
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress for the QE2

Enid,

We are sailing on the QE2 August 17. We have 4 formal nights if we eat in our assigned dining room - the Mauretania. Do we have to wear formal long dresses or can we wear a long skirt and alternate with different tops? Would a dressy pantsuit be acceptable?

Cunard being a very upscale British line, I would expect that conformance with proper dress is the expected norm. The two-piece set-ups probably are okay if the tops are very dressy, but skip the pant suit unless you have explicit information from the line indicating that it's okay -- and even then, be hesitant.

There is another option, too. You could bring one fairly plain formal dress and four different sets of accessories to give different looks.

BTW, the Mauritania is the least formal of the dining rooms aboard that ship. As you can tell, it's still pretty formal.

I don't think the passengers would appreciate viewing a 70 something female in shoestring straps and a v-neck plunging to the navel.

I agree. Stick to conservative styles, and you'll be fine. You might check out "mother of the bride" gowns at local bridal shops -- or, if you want to do this cheaply, at local consignment shops (where most of the inventory probably have been worn just once and still looks brand new).

We will be touring England and Canada for 2 months, so we are limited in our packing. Any suggestions for evening wear would be appreciated!

It might be possible to put some of your cruise needs in storage while you are on the land tour or, if your tour is after your cruise, to ship what you don't need for the land tour to your home upon debarkation.

Norm.