Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Blaizze
Default Purse/backpack in port?

I've been reading the posts on this board and have gotten some wonderful advice! But I'm wondering about one thing...what sort of bag should I take in to port with me? Do most people find backpacks helpful or are they too cumbersome? Any advice about a easy and preferrably fashionable way to tote around my neccessities in port would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Purse/backpack in port?

Hi Blaizze,
If you are going on an excursion and need to bring along towels, camera, etc. thats when a back pack will come in handy or some kind of bag. If we are just doing shopping or a tour, I bring a fanny pack so I have my hands free. Just keep it light what ever you decide to use and only bring enough cash for the day, keep everything else locked up in your cabin safe.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Purse/backpack in port?

They have backpacks that are smaller than a regular backpack but still big enough to carry a towel and the items you would need for a shore excursion. We bought them at Wal-Mart for $7 each. They are appx. 14" x 10" x 4".
Old July 30th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Purse/backpack in port?

i wouldn't cruise without my fanny pack, its all you need to walk around town. Backpacks are a great idea for the beach stuff.
Old July 30th, 2003, 06:16 PM
jamie gunter

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Purse/backpack in port?

I wear a pouch around my waist that is hidden under my shirt. So no one can rob you to easily on a busy street. We usually bring a small camera bag that I wear around my neck. You have to be very careful in some ports with backpacks, they are easy to steal out of when it is on your back. You wouldnt even know until it is to late. Good luck. You can get the pouch in the travel section at any local store like walmart or target for about 5 to 10 dollars.
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

I use a fanny pack for ID etc. A back pack is the easiest to use for shopping trips also. It leaves your hands free to shop. Definitely take something large enough for souvenirs you buy while in port.
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:18 PM
dustyroad

i am going to prove how long it has been since i have flown. my question is--- i will be on northwest airlines going to vancouver and having layovers.

i have a small backpack and a medium sized duffle for my carryon. can i also have a fanny pack on my waist to hold my tickets and money. i am traveling solo and wont have anyone to watch my things while in the airports or on the plane if i need to use the rest rooms and such. i just dont know if they consider a fanny pack one of the bags allowed as extra or part of the two carry on limit. please post a reply as my time is getting close.

thanks, dusty
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:42 PM
jamie gunter

They may consider that a personal bag. They allow one carry on and one personal bag. You can put it in one of the other bags just to get through security, they dont seem to care after that. I had my camera bag out on a trip in August because we were on a small jet, and the bag had to go under the plane. She made me stuff my purse in my carry on just to go through security, just so I didnt have to many bags. She said she didnt care after I went through the check point!
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

dusty

when are you flying to vancouver? We are taking NW on Aug 21 to Vancouver. Then cruising on the Radiance from there aug 23.

First Cruise Radiance - Alaska

Old August 1st, 2003, 12:26 AM
dustyroad

i am flying in to vancouver on the 9th of sept and boarding the carnival spirit on the 10th for the alaska inside passage. cant wait. this will be my first cruise and i am going solo. it has been a life long dream to take a cruise and see alaska. so i am killing to birds with one stone as they say. it is too bad we wont be going at the same time and on the same ship. let us know how your trip went. have a wonderful time. dusty
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Dusty, as mentioned, the rules for carry-on's is One personal bag like handbag, fanny pack, small camera bag and one Carry on bag probably no bigger than 11x20 apx. The day of the large wheel on duffle is gone. Besides, it is much easier for you not to have to schelpt so much baggage. If your backpak is small, use it for a "handbag" but the average ones are too large. I never travel with a handbag and use a Fanny pak for day trips on shore along with a Tote Bag or Back Pak depending on cruise itinerary.
Bring all of your film in your carry-on and ask for hand inspections. The more it is exposed to any Xray, the more the clarity will be reduced. Most TSA reps are nice and will oblige.
bon Voyage
Old August 1st, 2003, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

First Dusty, the Spirit is winderful -- taking her for the second time in October.

We are backpack afcionados, because it's great for all the little crap ... plus you have room for any purchases etc.

My other favorite packables: Post-it pad to leave notes for the cabin steward, air freshner to freshen the room and highlighter pen to mark the daily newsletter for things you may wish to do.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Harry
Old August 1st, 2003, 12:19 PM
dustyroad

nanatravel and harry,

thanks for the great advice. im so glad to hear how wonderful the spirit is and the little things to take that will make my trip easier and more fun. i know i am going to have a great time. dusty
Old August 7th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CarnivalCruiserA Send a message via MSN to CarnivalCruiserA

If your going to the beach than bring a beach bag, or something that you can wear around your shoulders... If your going on tours or sightseeing, just bring a purse.
Old August 9th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Dusty,
I second the people who said to put your fanny pack in your back-pack or duffel to get through security. I've never had a problem with that, then I take it out and board with it. If given an evil eye, I explain that it fits into the other if necessary.
For Alaska, I carried an Eagle Creek handbag, but a backpack would have worked too. You won't be needing towels for the beach there.
Beth
Old August 9th, 2003, 03:41 PM
dustyroad

thanks beth

i found my fanny pack. a really nice one, light weight and the perfect size. since i am planning on doing alot of shopping, i will take my backpack on my shore trips. im hoping since i will be in alaska i will be able to keep track my things easily. now i am ready to go.

but i still want my doc's!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:01 AM
n2hairstylz

We are going to be snorkling and after, shopping in town, what do we do with our money and credit cards while snorkling? Is it safe to just leave on the boat while in the water?
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, your stuff should be fine in the boat, but you may want to take your purchases back to the ship and just bring enough money for the snorkeling, less to worry about.

Message Boards Moderator