Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Angie in Alabama

Default Cocktail dress

Hi all.....I know you guys must know a good site for cocktail dresses for formal night. I have been to cybergown.com are there anymore good ones.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cocktail dress

Angie,i have been looking and looking for a cocktail dress all over the internet. Nordstroms.com had some really nice dressy dresses. I found that most of the "gown" type sites didn't have a really good selection of cocktail dresses. We will be crusing in Feb 04 and i have decided to wait until the after-christmas sale at Filene's to pick up a holiday dress. Bridal shops are another good resourse, if you find a really nice long dress for a great price, take it to your seamstress and have it shortened, don't let the bridal shop do it for you, they charge $$$$$ for major alterations. If anyone has come across a really good site for quality cocktails dresses ( not hoochie mama dresses, please)please post.
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:58 PM
jnj

I found one at JC Penney's at their clearance sale. Was probably a bridesmaid / prom dress but it's black.

My mom got hers at chadwicks.com
Old August 13th, 2003, 01:44 PM
eyeyou96

Default Re: Re: Cocktail dress

Old September 1st, 2003, 01:36 PM
Maxxy

try bluefly.com for great deals on designer, ie Vera Wang and A.B.S. at great discounts.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
Passenger

I have to brag about my find!!!! We had a wedding this past weekend, and we are also going on a cruise in 26 days (but who is counting!!) so even though I have several options in my closet, I figured I would buy a new dress. I found one I loved at Lord and Taylor and it had been marked down to $189. Not a great deal, but with the 20% off coupon, I figured I would purchase it. So, I went to the counter and the girl told me my total would be $31.99!!! I almost fell over. What a great deal! Right now the department stores in my area are having fantasic sales. I would try to go right to their websites and see if they have a "clearance" section. Or, go right to the mall.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:29 PM
Maria65

Default Re: Re: Cocktail dress

I also took advantage of an end of summer clearance sale and got a red A-line floor length gown for $18! I'm a first time cruiser. Do I need to have this dress shortened? I'll be on Voyager, will I look out of place in a floor length dress? It's very simple, nothing frou-frou, but it is floor length.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Cocktail dress

Maria - your dress sounds great,i wouldn't shorten it, you might loose the line of the dress-- and what a bargain! you will see both long and short, the trend seems to be more towards simple, straight, elegant lines and away from the "ballgown" type dresses