Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Pam Myers

Default capris

I completely agree with the no shorts in the dining rooms, but this is my first cruise and I have purchased 3 pair of dressy capris. 2 are satin and one has gold flicks in them. Will they be acceptable. I was really hoping to wear the satin ones for formal night with a sequein top.
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Andee

Default Re: capris

Thye'll be fine in the dining room. You'll see lots of capris.
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Pam, you bring up a really great question. Honestly, i don't think you will see many ladies wearing capris ( dressy or not) on formal night. You will see long evening dresses, cocktail dresses, dress suits and platazzo pantsuits. You will see plenty of capris on casual night, i just don't know about formal night. Perhaps you can call your TA or the cruiseline to find out.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM
Pam Myers

I thought since they were satin and a fancy top would be okay. But I definately don't want to stick out. I thought with heels that would be dressy. I don't have much invested in them, one of those after the season clearance things. I started shoping the the cruise last Christmas. I call that excited.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Pam, here is what i would do. Bring one pair of your dressy capris,with a top to match. Also pack the sequin top but pair it with a long skirt or dressy trousers. Wear the long skirt w/sequin top on the first formal night, check out what the others are wearing and if you feel that the dressy capri outfit would suit your needs, wear it on the second night. If not then take the top from the capri outfit and pair it with the long skirt or dressy trousers you wore on the first formal night.
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Padme_Amidala_Skywalker

I think it depends on what you mean by capri. How far above the ankles? If it is no more then 4 or 5 inches okay but it is more like just below the knee I wouldn't.

Remember you see everything in the dinningroom that does not make it acceptable.
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Beginner

I usually wear a dress capri for a formal night (do tend to dress to the hilt the other noght). I have several of them that are satin with beads or sequins. Definitely do it with a formal top and with dress shoes. But as the last poster noted, they need to be a little above the ankle ones, not the under the knee ones.

As long as you are comfortable and work it with confidence, you will be fine.
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Pam Myers

Thank you all, I guess I'll take them just in case and on the first formal night I'll dress up and see if they are okay. I've read on alot of the postings that people don't want to dress up, but this trip is a big deal for us and I want to make it special.
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:13 AM
KC

I am a lover of capris and own over 25 pairs all different styles, some are peddle pushers which come down to just above the ankle (never wear any just below the knee always make sure they hit the shin or ankle are). I would suggest to you that if you feel good in what you are wearing then that's the most important thing. You know what I mean ladies, if you put an outfit on and it feels good to you, it lays against your skin just perfectly then I say go for it because when you have that type of conficence you will make the room sparkle when you enter and everyone will be looking at you and wondering wow who is that woman who just walked in?

Have fun, relax and enjoy life.

:o)
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Eric & Sandi

I have a Capri question ? Does anyone no where my wife can get Capri that will fit her 4'11' size 10. We went to dozens of stores and even checked out the petite sections and all the capris look like long pants on her. Eric
Old October 14th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Afraid I can't help. I'm 5' 8 1/2". My mom is petite and your right even in the petite section they look too long.

Carnival Victory
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to StevieSegel Send a message via Yahoo to StevieSegel

Eric...I can relate to your wife's dilema.

I have huge problems with capris fitting the way I think they should.

Here's the funny part of it all:

I'm 5'8"...so you think I'd be tall enough; but.....
MY INSEAM IS ONLY 24" !!!! (All my height is in my torso!)
AND....I'm a size 18/20 to boot.
so basically, I'm an overgrown Oompa-Loompa (if any of you remember "Willy Wonka")

So, capris either look like regular pants that shrunk (think floods) or long bermuda shorts!!!!

If I wan't capris, I find a cheap pair of lightweight pants and have them cut off and hemmed to the proper length for me. Your wife might want to consider the same thing

Stephanie
StevieSegel@aol.com
12/03 - Celebrity Mercury/Mexican Riviera
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:02 PM
curlyshirley

Default Re: Re: capris

You might find a good seamstress (at local drycleaners maybe) and have them hemmed to the length you wish! Good luck!