Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default men

we are planning a family cruise possible for summer 2005 and will have children and grandchildren along. as we plan to go to western carribean. we would probably be cruising carnival lines. i do know that there are a couple of nights when the men should wear a jacket. now my questionis. can it just be a blazer or sports jacket with casual pants. do they need a tie?i am sure they just need just need one jacket correct? now about our 8 year old grandson, does he need a jacket also or can wear a tie withshirt. does he need a tie or jacket? are jeans of any sort allowed in the dining room for dinner? we will have teenage granddaughters and so i can present this dress code correctly, they sometimes consider some of these jeans dressy and appropriate with nice tops. how about jeans for men on the nights when a jacket is not required. my husband and i would not be wearing jeans but our children and the younger crowd look at jeans as normal for casually dressy sometimes. i would like to say no jeans at all but wouold like to know the rules on board ship. i also understand that shorts are under no circumstances allowed in the dining room in the evening by men or women correct. our daughters and their daughters should plan to have dressy pants or skirts or casual summer dresses for dinner at night, correct. any info you could give to me would be appreciated. as i said i am not worried aboutmy husband or myself, but sometimes it helps to have explicit details for younger crowds in these matters. thanks patty
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Andee

Default Re: men

On most cruise ships, jeans are not permitted in the dining room for dinner.

I think a shirt and tie would be dressy enough for an eight year old child.

On formal nights, most men wear suits, a certain percentage wear tuxedos, and a sport jacket would probably be too casual.

There are generally informal nights where a sport jacket, with or without a tie, would be appropriate.
Old October 10th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Traci

Carnival is very laid back. A dark sports coat with dark slacks and a nice tie is fine for formal nights.
Old October 10th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Carnival is one of the few cruise lines that usually allow jeans in the dining room on casual nights, but since you are sailing in the summer to the Caribbean jeans are way to HEAVY and way to HOT-- your "kids" would be much better off in cargos, twills or docker's type pants for the men & boys, capris, sundressess, twills for the ladies. A dark jacket, dark slacks, dress shirt and tie would be fine for all the "gentlemen" for formal nights.
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Bonnie Menendez

I was on the Sensation in July with 2 Grandchildren and they wore dress pants with dress shirts and a tie and that was just fine.

But there was a man at the adjacent table that had on a polo type pullover and a pair of "looked like" Dockers. I was surprised that no one said anything.

But I did not see jeans in the Dining Room.

I am sure that a nice sport jacket would be just fine.
Old October 11th, 2003, 01:04 AM
p.g.

Carnival is pretty laid back and I wouldn't worry too much about an 8 year old. But I do think the teenagers can understand no jeans for dinner, and yes there are many other things they could wear that aren't stuffy or too formal.Most teenage girls like wearing sundresses, that should do. And on Formal nights I don't think it would kill a teenage boy to put on a pair of khakis .Since the cruise isn't for a long time may-be grandma and grandpa could give the kids a nice out fit for Christmas or a birthday? Better to take them out with you and let them choose, as I said it doesn't have to be too formal but I think jeans for formal night are just a tad too casual. I guess in the long and short of it , it doesn't really matter, go and enjoy your family and let them enjoy themselves by not getting too stressed about clothes.
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:27 PM
First Mate

What should I pack?
Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. For Alaska and Canada cruises, sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.Note: Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area during dinner.

The above is from Carnival's web site.

Below are the definitions of the different type of dress. Special note to item 2.
:

1. BUSINESS, also EXECUTIVE- or CORPORATE CASUAL: The level beneath the business suit and tie, which can consist of a suit or sports jacket and/or sweater, and an optional tie. This is what youíd wear to a company party (retirement, holiday, etc.). The fabrics may be less dressy, and the tie a knit or novelty print. You may have slightly relaxed the look, but youíre still there for business.
In some cases you may want to wear a suit thatís a step up from business wear like your best Armani suit, French-cuff shirt, and Hermes tie just to show you have a life outside business!!
2. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that youíd wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sports shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. Itís also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friendís home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!
Number 3 may be acceptable for certain businesses and some social functions.
3. SPORTY or RUGGED: The outdoor look! Off to the local pub to watch Monday night football with the guys, to a real game, when youíre invited to spend the weekend at one of Ralph Laurenís homes, or third date out for pizza. Any activity where you might run into someone interesting. Itís more casual, but you still took some time to coordinate colors, and think about what elements you put together.
The following two categories are not acceptable for most businesses, or for any "important" social occasion (i.e. first date) where youíre concerned about your creditability, authority and/or image:
4. SATURDAY CASUAL OR LEISURE: What you wear on weekends, if you had to go out shopping or doing laundry, and there was even a remote chance of human contact.
5. ACTIVE: gear youíd wear to the gym, to play b-ball, washing your car, or gardening, but not stop off at the grocery store on the way home. Itís also what you might wear around the house if you werenít expecting any visitors.
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Yeoman

Ugh ,too technical.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Doris K

Default Re: Re: men

We cruise alot (once or twice a year for 15 years). My husband's formal wear on most cruises has been new (dark) jeans, formal shirt, cumberbun bow tie and jacket. Usually he wears wintip (sp?) shoes, but sometimes sneakers. Was once refused entrance to Captain's party due to the sneakers, but no other problems. Often our table mates don't even notice the jeans at first.

DorisK