Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Junior

Default Children's dress code?

Do children have to wear dress slacks in the dining rooms? What is the dress code for children? Regular nights vs. Formal nights?
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2003, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Children's dress code?

There is only one dress code and it applies to all no matter what age.
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Admiral

on casual nights cargo pants with a jersey or polo type shirt (no t-shirts) will be fine for the boys, the girls can wear capris with a cute top and sandals a sundress or dockers type pants with a jersey top. Formal nights the boys will be fine in dark dress slacks, shirt & tie, sports jacket, dress shoes. The girls can go for party dresses or a long black skirt with a dressy top and dressy sandals or shoes. The dress code applies to all.
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:28 AM
p.g.

, What line are you going on Junior. The reality is that some lines are stricter then others( or should I say uptight ). Shorts are a no no, suits not expected (but nice) .Jeans are frowned upon by even the most casual lines. Khakis and a dress shirt plus a tie will get any kid into formal night, add a jacket and your styling. Girls are easy, a dress or a skirt. A fancy dress for formal night , a sundress for casual,, or some pretty capris would also work for casual.
Some people would like it if EVERYONE wore a tux , but give up , on my last Princess Cruise , maybe 15% of the men did, and they were (mostly) older gentlmen.
Oh yes, no flip flops or sneakers( although if they were really nice clean sneakers I would let my child wear them for casual night.
Some posters might not like my answer but the truth is it really does matter which line you're going on.
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:40 PM
junior

Default Re: Re: Children's dress code?

We are going on Carnival. The Destiny. We've been on many cruises. This is the first with the kids, so I realy never noticed what the kids were wearing being it didn't really pertain to us at the time. Thanks for the reply.
Old October 25th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Children's dress code?

Lisa,

Formal nights the boys will be fine in dark dress slacks, shirt & tie, sports jacket, dress shoes.

Although it might not get one thrown out of the dining room, a sports jacket is not proper attire for a formal night.

Norm.
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Asealady

What little boy has a suit? I borrowed one for my 6 year old son for his first cruise. I have seen boys in cargo pants and a nice shirt with sneakers on formal nights. My children were always late to dinner, they would go the kids coketail party, while the captain's cocktail party was going on. The next year, my son had his own suit, that was given to him. He wore dark sports jackets at formal nights in his teen years. And he was dressed up more than some older people. We have been on all the cruise lines. It didnt matter which one it was. If people are going to worry about what my kid is wearing, thats their problem. Girls are much easier. I was not going to buy a suit for my son and 3 months later, he would out grow it. Mine never sat through the whole formal dinner anyway.
Old December 7th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Julia Mead

I would really hope there are not that many people who really would snicker or even comment on what one would wear to dinner. For formal night, dress yourself and your children in the nicest outfit you own, or can afford to buy. Go on the cruise, have a great time, and let the snobs be snobs. (Some people are never happy unless they are picking someone else apart. Purely a self esteem problem. So your 8 year old wore jeans to dinner... They'll get over it.)
Old December 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Hmmmmm......I have rather a different "take", Julia. My 13 yo son and I will be cruising in January. He does not like to dress up and was unhappy when I told him one night was formal night (jacket, tie, etc.) and ALL nights are no shorts, jeans, t-shirts in the dining room. Before it became an issue I showed him the Carnival brochure which stated the dress code. Once he knew there was an actual "rule" he didn't complain anymore. Why would anyone want to encourage their child to NOT behave accordingly? To me, that's sending a bigger, more complicated wrong message.

Good grief, folks, kids have a dress code (of some sort) at school. Believe me, they understand that you sometimes have to follow the rules, whether you like them or not.

I sort of look at this as an opportunity to expose my child to the wider world. Eating in a "nice" restaurant with all the trappings is not something we usually DO 4 nights in a row! Of course, cruiselines make sure you have a choice. EAt at the buffet or at one of the casual restaurants, or even order room service every single night if you don't want to adhere to the dress code.

Isn't it lovely we have a choice on cruises? That's what I find so refreshingly wonderful!

Have fun...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Admiral

well said Dorothy, i couldn't agree with you more. Children are more apt to follow the rules than some adults. Doesn't set a good example when the so-called gown-ups don't follow the rules.........