Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM
First Mate

Default Stuffed animals on planes?

My children want to take a stuffed animal each with us on our cruise, but I just heard that airlines may be concerned with a new type of bomb that could go undetected inside a stuffed animal. Has anyone heard of any stuffed animals getting torn apart in security? I'd hate to risk teddy's dismemberment at the beginning of our vacation!
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Kar06

Default Re: Stuffed animals on planes?

Hmm...I'm 19, and I (still) bring a stuffed animal on vacation. Last time I flew, (March 03) I had no problem, and the security people who searched my backpack, laughed, when they opened my bag and saw a 19 yr old with a stuffed animal!

When is your cruise? I am going on the RCI Serenade over Thanksgiving, and I am sure I'll bring a stuffed animal, so if yours is afterwards, I can let you know how it went!
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Stuffed animals on planes?

Actually our cruise is Nov. 2nd, so I guess I'll have to let you know how it goes! I think we'll pack them in the checked baggage for their own protection.
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:37 AM
Admiral

I flew for business from BWI to MHT at the end of August with a 'cute' purple teddy that had just been given to me. I am a grandmother! No one questioned me. She went through the security screening without delays. I did have to take my shoes off for the 1st. time.
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Great story, Kar!

I have these visions of security personel detonating a Winne the Pooh!

Harry
Old October 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Anne,

A stuffed animal is no problem in either carry-on or checked baggage -- but it does have to go through the X-ray machine at the security checkpoint.

Norm.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Passenger

I always bring my bear with me when I fly cause I hate flying and am a big baby. I get weird looks for being 26 and carrying a teddy bear but what are you gonna do? i think as long as you put it on the belt to go through the X-ray machine it will be fine.

i also *always* get pulled aside to be personally checked for reasons i havent figured out yet. it might be the bear. i guess i would just explain to your kids about the procedure and that their stuffed animals may have to be checked out but they havent done anything wrong.

the thought of airport security ripping up kids' teddy bears is horrifying!

Serenade of the Seas
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:11 PM
jaDE~

Buy the children a cute stuffed animal on the ship! They are very nice and a wonderful memory of their cruise.
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Don't worry. My kids stuffed animals made it there and back intact. It must have been some silly rumor.
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Hollyhawk

Default Re: Re: Re: Stuffed animals on planes?

Thanks for the report back. Our 17 yr. D/D takes "Sleepy Dog" everywhere. Dog is so lucky to have been camping in numerous nondeveloped sites in Mexico, Venezula in all inclusive, ( can't let Dog out of the compound) as well as Manzanillio, Guadalahra,(sp?) , Puerto Vallarta. Not to mention Spain and Morroco. Dog was a gift to our daughter from her late praternal grandmother and will be traveling on his first cruise to G. C., Roatan, Belize and cozumel. D/D has had Dog since she was 3 mo. old. He's lookin a little ragedy these days but I know he can handle the voyage. If Dog can't go neither can we!