Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Ladies Formal wear

Hi,
I've looked through all the posts and everyone assumes we know what is ok for Ladies Formal - I however am not sure.

Would there be a problem wearing a dress or pantsuit that you would wear as a guest to a wedding or to church on the formal nights? We are traveling on HAL.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Ladies Formal wear

Hi Sandy,
That sounds fine...You will see a lot of everything from short glittzy cocktail dresses to long prom type dresses..

Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Wedding attire differs from State to State but your description was perfect. Long or short dress or Formal pants outfit, silk, velvet, sparkly or sheer, all fit the description of nice formal evening attire. Classic black evening palazzo pants are very popular as is the basic black cocktail dress. Dress your oufit up with jewelry and stapy sandals and you will be just fine.
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ladies Formal wear

Thank You for clearing that up!!
Sandy
Old October 25th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Sandy,

I've looked through all the posts and everyone assumes we know what is ok for Ladies Formal - I however am not sure.

Standards do vary somewhat from line to line, so the best advice always is to follow the guidelines in the pre-cruise information package that your travel agent will deliver to you thirty to sixty days before the cruise (yes, this means that you need to take the time to sit down and read naterials in the information package carefully before you pack...). If you follow the cruise line's guidance, you won't be embarrassed.

Would there be a problem wearing a dress or pantsuit that you would wear as a guest to a wedding or to church on the formal nights?

In my circles, most guests at weddings seem to wear "informal" or "semiformal" attire whereas a true "formal" evening demands "black tie" or equivalent -- which would mean either a formal evening gown (Donna's "prom dress") or a formal cocktail dress for ladies. Although many cruise lines opted for a modified formal standard that admits dark business suits in addition to tuxedos or dinner jackets for gentlemen (originally as a concession to the fact that many gentlemen did not own tuxedos, but did own business suits, back in the 1970's), the attire for ladies generally has remained very dressy -- espeically on the "premium" lines like Princess Cruises, Holland America Lines, and Celebrity Cruises.

I think that most of the major cruise lines list formal pant suits (the silk or satin kind that look like fancy pajamas) as an acceptable option for women, but they seem to be waning in popularity. On my last several cruises (all with Princess), I have seen very few women wearing htem.

Norm.