CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   How To Pack A Long,Thin Formal Dress? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294134-how-pack-long-thin-formal-dress.html)

Sally Morrison October 22nd, 2003 07:42 AM

How To Pack A Long,Thin Formal Dress?

My husband and I will be on Infinity's Panama Canal-South America cruise in January. Since there are several formal nights, I plan to bring a dress I wore at our daughter's wedding. It is long, 2-piece, thin material. I need suggestions as to how best to pack it so it won't get ripped or too wrinkled. We are not bringing garment bags. Thanks.

Donna October 22nd, 2003 08:03 AM

Re: How To Pack A Long,Thin Formal Dress?

Hi Sally,
You may want to think about picking up a garment bag, they are also great for the husbands suits and pants along with your dresses??? Even with a garment bag, I put all my dresses in the plastic cleaner bags, give that a try either with the extra bag or in your regular luggage.

LisaK October 22nd, 2003 11:16 AM

I agree with Donna, re-think the garment bag, they are great for your dresses, DH suits, and pants. Place the dress in a dry cleaner's bag regardless and place it on the top of the pile in the suitcase. If you must fold it, use tissue paper in the folds.

Travelbug October 22nd, 2003 11:47 AM

Re: Re: How To Pack A Long,Thin Formal Dress?

It seems to be the best idea to take a garment bag for formal wear.

When taking a garment bag, should it be a carry on?

Or check it, maybe fold it in half and secure?

Thanks

Sonja

Post Edited (10-22-03 11:48)

Donna October 22nd, 2003 01:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: How To Pack A Long,Thin Formal Dress?

Hi Travel,
No, unfortunately with today's luggage restrictions, the normal garment bag is too large to carry-on, that was also my hope. So, I do fold it up, its also on wheeles, so that helps and so far everything in there stays wrinkle-free.

LisaK October 22nd, 2003 01:37 PM

you have to check the garment bag, outfits come out just fine.

Lori Walston October 23rd, 2003 01:08 PM

I pack both of my formal dresses with the rest of my cruise cloths in one large suitcase and have white tissue paper (the type that is used for gift bags) between them. They come out virtually wrinkle free everytime.

Rev22:17 October 25th, 2003 08:02 PM

Sally,

First, lay the dress out, with the front down, on a large flat surface such as a bed so that it is completly flat with no wrinkles and the centerline of the back is directly on top of the centerline of the front.. Pull the sides of the skirt out completely so that the skirt lays flat. Next, fold one side of the skirt over the center so that the fold forms a straight line with the upper body, then fold the other side in the same way. (If the first side extends over the second, the tip will fold in at the same time.) If the tip of the second side extends beyond the first fold, fold the tip over the center.

If the dress has sleeves, fold the sleeves over the back, also even with the side of the body. If the sleeves are long, fold again at 45 degrees to extend down the back and not overlap.

You should now have a garment of approximately uniform width. Fold the bottom up to the waste, then fold the body over the skirt.

Folded in this way, the dress should lie flat in your suitcase. It also should be free of wrinkles when you unpack it. If it develops creases along any of your folds, a quick "touch-up" with an iron will remove them.

Norm.