Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Beginner

Default Surprise Celebrity Cruise

Re: 11 day Celebrity Cruise / Mexican Riviera / Dec 9 / From San Diego

Am taking my wife on this cruise for a special birthday. She has no clue! All she knows is that we are going away for 2 weeks. I need to know what to tell her to pack without giving anything away. Since this is a first for both of us, I need all the advice I can get! Am I correct in understanding that we also need to prepare for 2 or 3 formal evenings?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Surprise Celebrity Cruise

John, first off i think its a wonderful thing you are doing! As for cruise clothes, tell your wife that she will need to pack clothes for a resort and warm weather, shorts, tops, and bathing suits for the day time, clothes that she would wear to a nice restaurant for dinner in the summer- nice dress or nice pants with a nice blouse, and yes you will need 3 formal outfits for an 11day cruise - a long black or navy skirt with a silk blouse or a sparkly top will be perfect, dressy cocktail dress, dressy pants with a silk blouse or sparkly top, a dressy suit. Tell her that you plan on taking her out to a "fancy" restaurant a couple of nights and she needs to pack appropriate clothing. All you will need is a dark suit, dress shirts, ties and dress shoes for formal nights.
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Yes, John. You will need to pack at least one formal outfit that you can wear twice for formal dinner. You will not want to miss this dinner especially since it's your wife's birthday.

Other than that, the attire on the ship is completely casual during the day with dinner being a bit more dressy. She should wear a nice pants suit or sundress for regular dinner and you a jacket and tie or dress slacks and collared shirt.

During the day around the ship and in the ports most people will be dressed as touristy as you would expect. Shorts and T-shirts are common.

Do remember to sneak the passports in the luggage.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the excellent input. I think I have a pretty good handle on what to suggest that my wife take along. Since we are flying into San Diego, luggage space is limited, plus I am not too keen on formal attire for myself. Will a sport jacket and turtle neck do?

Thanks

Post Edited (11-13-03 06:06)
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Surprise Celebrity Cruise

A sport jacket and turtleneck will do but it will be a bit underdressed for formal night. There will be others in there less formal than that but so what? Right? Some will be in tuxedos, some will be in suits, some will be in country club casual.

On regular dinner nights though anything nice will do. Shorts and T-shirts will not be permitted at dinner, though that is o.k. for breakfast and lunch.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Admiral

John, change the turtleneck to either a dress shirt & tie or a collarless banded- collar shirt w/stud covered buttons (no tie required) dark jacket, and dress pants you will be fine. PS a turtleneck would probably be to warm anyway.
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Beginner

OK...OK...Dark jacket, dress shirt and tie it will be...but no tuxedo!!!

Thanks, John