CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Help! I need advise on a 2 week cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294149-help-i-need-advise-2-week-cruise.html)

flyzchick November 16th, 2003 01:30 AM

Help! I need advise on a 2 week cruise

Please help! I'm going on the Explorer of the Seas to the Western Carribean for Christmas week and then staying on to go to the Eastern side for New Years. I am a first time cruiser and have no idea what to pack. There will be 4 formals. Any advise on how to pack, what to pack, etc.etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Harry Martin November 16th, 2003 12:09 PM

Re: Help! I need advise on a 2 week cruise

Flyz,

Mix and match, and re-wear!!!

I was just thinking about this dilemma in a hypothetical manner when we got off our 8-night cruise to Acapulco Nov. 1.

We almost had to bring another suitcase because of that one extra day, and then I had the smart idea of rolling up the suits, and voila, made it! (Just a garment bag, one big suitcase, one small 20-inch one, a backpack and a tote.)

What I noticed was that all of our dinner clothes had a second wearing in them (we bring one suit and two pairs of dressy type pants, and mix them with all new shirts). The casual clothes were getting a little on the tired side, but they had a laundry special on the ship for $15 and you fill the bag.

I think you should be able to do the laundry for under clothes, Tshirts and such.

Also, and a big point, you are in fact on two different cruises with 2 different sets of passengers, so it's unlikely someone will recall what you wore 10 days ago to dinner.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Harry

LisaK November 17th, 2003 10:45 AM

Harry gave some great advise. Separates are the way to go. pants, capri pants,polo shirts, sleeveless sweaters, flat sandals. A couple of bathing suits. You can ever mix and match your formal wear. A long black or navy skirt with a silk or glittery top and dress heels will be perfect. 1 long skirt + 2 dressy tops worn twice = 4 formal outfits. You can always have your clothes laundered on ship -look for laundry specials, they are good deals. Undergarments are another story. 14 days worth of undies and socks take up a lot of space, consider doing a load of laundry on a sea day on each of your cruises or do it in port between cruises.

Harry Martin November 17th, 2003 11:57 AM

I don't know if this will work for women's underclothes, but I stick our socks and underwear in Ziplock bags, and then sit on 'em as I zip (yea, you do look funny doing this, so make sure no one is around). But it really does take the bulk out of the clothes.

Harry

LisaK November 17th, 2003 01:03 PM

Actually Harry that's not a bad idea, i roll up DH's, and my socks and just shove them into any old nook & cranny that's available in the suitcase. Rolled socks make great corner fillers & cushions. I like the Ziploc idea (wouldn't work for certain "foundation" garments) but for others things i think its a good idea.

Harry Martin November 17th, 2003 08:53 PM

It does work great ... done it numerous times.
Harry