Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:39 AM
cruise girl

Default day wear help!

i am starting to pack for a christmas cruise and was wondering-does everyone pack casual kick-around clothes for every single day? or are you basically in a swimsuit and cover-up all day? so far i have all the dinner stuff and swimsuits ready, just wondering if its necessary to have a week's worth of summer wear or what? (we're going on THE MARINER OF THE SEAS! I am sooo excited!) Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: day wear help!

the general rule for crusing seems to be lay-out what you think you will need and then take half of that. You will spend most of the day on board in your swimsuit and cover-up. Bring a couple of pairs of shorts, tanks and or t-shirts for each day. Sneakers and water shoes/sandals as the beach sand and ships decks can get very hot. Some type of hat (baseball caps are most popular) sunglasses and SUNSCREEN. I aways carry a fanny pack (leave your purse at home) for my daily stuff(stateroom key card, a couple of bucks, credit card, lip sunscreen, comb etc) a small back pack is also a great idea for your shore trips you can throw your beach towel and snacks in there, leave room for your purchases!!
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We recycle shorts a lot, but usually pack a fresh shirt every day.

Oh, and on shorts, I usually lean toward darker colors to hide anything slight stains you might pick up in port, etc

Harry
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM
Familiar Face

I just got home yesterday from my first cruise (HAL Maasdam, to western Caribbean---a week of pure bliss!). I definitely over-packed. I packed one "day outfit" and one "evening outfit" for each day (total 14 outfits, plus a couple of extra tops "just in case" but ended up wearing only about half. As others have said, you really do wear your swimsuit and coverup the most. My coverup kind of looked like a summery short dress, so it was perfect for leaving on at lunch time (I chose to eat in the buffet lunch, but I could have worn it in the nicer dining room). I definitely packed too many really dressy things for evenings (I guess I was influenced by memories of the LoveBoat TV show!). The dressy stuff was overkill for dinners designated as casual or informal (even though the men have to wear a jacket for informal nights, the women did not dress up much--nice slacks outfits for the majority). Here's what I'd pack for my next cruise: 2 dressy dresses for formal night (most people do not wear "evening gowns" just something really classy and pretty). 2 sundresses for informal nights. 3 casual outfits (either slacks or skirts with fun tops) that will work for casual night dinner, yet be comfortable enough for the activities the rest of the night. (these slacks may come in handy if you have a cool day, as we did in Key West). 2 shorts and 3 or 4 tops that all mix and match. 2 swimsuits and 2 coverups that double as a casual dress. (that works especially well for a port of call where you need to be in "real clothes" part of the day but plan to swim at a beach part of the day--just wear swimsuit all day under the coverup dress) Also, if you're married and helping your husband pack, plan for him to wear each dress shirt twice. He won't be in them that long each night, because most of the men change back into comfy things for dancing, shows, lounges, or whatever they're doing after dinner.

Post Edited (12-01-03 19:53)
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Depends on you. If you love sunning by the pool then you don't need as much daywear. I for one visit the pool once or twice and usually only spend an hour or so so I take plenty of casual daywear, an outfit for each day. My dinner clothes though I usually wear twice as I only have that on for a few hours. I usually let at least two days pass before I repeat an outfit for dinner.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:37 PM
kar06

On the Serenade a couple weeks ago I brought way too much stuff. Most of the time I wore the same 3 different pairs of capri pants and a handful (8 or 9 maybe?) of shirts the whole week. I was in my bathing suit w/ terry cloth shorts & a t-shirt much of the time.

I always dressed the way they suggested for dinner, sometimes even a little fancier than what the reccomendation was. The key is to not pack your entire wardrobe...I need to work on that, !
Old December 31st, 2003, 04:58 PM
HeySailor

Port days = sweat (beachcombing, biking, hiking, etc.). If you're like me, you'll be glad you took a few extra extra t-shirts or tank tops.