Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default SHOES help please!

Oh my goodness, I have about 5weeks to go and I started looking at my clothes. How many shoes are too many shoes. You have got tennis shoes, sandals, and my favorite mules, and then there are those shoe for the evening. I'm counting at least 8 pair. Is that too many or do we gals just love our shoes. Hubby no help he liked them all. I'm getting excited, FIRST cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM
jamie gunter

Default Re: SHOES help please!

Try to find one pair of formal shoes that will go with both formal nights. Thats what
I did on last cruise, really saved bag space. I wore my tennis shoes and then changed into my sandals that were in carry on bag to save space. Tennis shoes are so big and bulky! I think you will be fine Its so hard deciding on shoes
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:25 AM
Andee

Bring whatever number of shoes that will give you comfotrable and happy feet. There's no magic number.
Old December 21st, 2003, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi PSM,
I agree with Jamie, try to limit the "formal" shoes, for both outfits, that helps cut down, otherwise I too bring a few pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of sandals. Since lots of days you'll most likely be doing some walking, nice comfy shoes are a must.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Admiral

One pair of black dress shoes - they go with anything. One pair of flat or low heel casual white sandals- One pair of good walking sneakers for shore excursions and One pair of water sandals for decks, beach sand & water sports. That's it.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:44 AM
Admiral

After 123 cruises, I still have trouble eliminating shoes from my packing list. I try for one pair of black strapy sandals for Formal and some informal outfits; white slides or gold sandals for alternate smart casual dress; a pair of Four Way or Fisherman's aerosoles for daytime sandal needs; sneakers which I wear to fly in; a pair of slides for by the pool matching my swim suits.
Bon voyage
Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:52 PM
Born to Cruise

Shoes, shoes, Oh the shoes! We cruise once to twice a year. I've been known to bring as many as 14 pairs of shoes! Of course, I never wear them all, but they are are with me if I want them. So, don't worry about it. Pack what you want.
Old December 26th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks all, just bought a new pair of tennis shoes (Keds) I figure alot of walking in the ports, I started to buy new black dress shoes, but I need to be able to dance so my old ones will be just fine. But I just don't think my new white tennies will go with my new black evening dress (HA! HA!)
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Cruisingrandma

My first cruise was to the Bahamas on a 4 day cruise. Well my husband was amazed that i had to take 11 pr of shoes. But I did wear every last pair of them too. Take what you feel you need. I have cut way back now. But you do what you have to. Happy cruising....
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Yeoman

LisaK hit it right.

Black dress shoes
White sandals
Walking shoes or sneakers (you might want to wear short sox)
Water sandals (Walmart or Kmart for these)

I limit my wardrobe to black, white, red, navy, tan so everything goes. I find in the Caribbean white slacks, capris, shorts are a staple.
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Gal1974 Send a message via MSN to Gal1974

PSM, I was having the same dilemma until my travel agent told me I can bring as much as I want since I am not flying! I was so thankful because I am such a shoe hog

Carnival Celebration for my 30th birthday!!!!
Old December 31st, 2003, 04:48 PM
HeySailor

Cruises are one place where you don't necessarily have to pack light--you're only unpacking once, instead of dragging your suitcase over the ancient cobblestoned streets of European town after town. So bring as many pairs as you want/feel like carrying!

I like to take:

Dressy black sandals
Casual black sandals
Casual brown, tan or other light-colored sandals (depending on outfits)
Water sandals (Chacos)
Sneakers

...um, but sometimes I take more than one pair of some of them!

Don't forget the water sandals like I once did, or you'll be kicking yourself as you clomp down the beach and get water and sand all over your nice sandals.

Also, think about bringing non-bulky bedroom slippers for your room--the carpet sometimes could be cleaner!
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM
SheilaManhattan

My advice is to bring NEUTRAL shoes. For example, I'm bringing 5 tomorrow for the Victory cruise: my Nike Shox for working out, fancy black strappy heels for my little black dress, silver heels for my shimmery silver dress for formal night, white heeled wedges for my white shorts, & BEIGE heeled wedges for everything else - they go with almost everything.

I cannot believe I am bringing so many shoes. lol For week's trip to L.A. to visit my sister 2 weeks ago, I packed my tiny carry-on & only brought 2 pairs of shoes. A cruise is a big deal - variety is everything! lol

Sheila
Carnival Victory - 1/4/04
SugarFreeSheila.com
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
collie

If you have the room and the muscle power, I say bring them ALL! You never know what kind of mood you'll be in! I hate when I'm away some where and wish I had that certain pair of shoes of certain pair of shorts, etc...
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I know what you mean. I took my first cruise in June and was getting so excited and packing everything I thought I would need. Then I realized that all my shoes were taking up too much space and I decided to limit them. I ended up taking:

One pair of black sandals to wear with my dressy outfits
Two pairs of comfortable tennis shoes (one of them was worn during travel so they were not packed)
One pair of comfortable walking sandals
One pair of water shoes

Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
Trish1c

The key to keeping your shoes from overwhelming your cruise is picking something that goes with everything.

I wear my big sneakers; easier to walk through the airport & I don't have to carry them.

I bring one pair of dressy sandals that work w/ my formal outfits & dress up some marginal ones. (I go w/ silver rather than black for this reason);
casual sandals that go w/ shorts, casual dresses & to the beach;
and water shoes for snorkeling etc.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Jilles

Default Re: Re: SHOES help please!

I am trying to find a most comfortable pair of sandals...any suggestions?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Karrie

Default Re: Re: Re: SHOES help please!

I just love Born sandals, they are so comfortable! And they have every style from casual to pretty dressy. There are quite a few web sites that have good prices on them. I will definately be packing some for my cruise!
Have a great time and good luck!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
ShannonR

ELIMINATE SHOES HA!!!!
I Just bought 3 new pairs of sandals and two pairs of sneakers (one for cave tubing and one to walk in) Never Eliminate shoes just get another suitcase!!
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Passenger

what amazes me is that with all the medical procedures our generation has discovered, no one ever found the DNA strand common in every female on the plant. It is the shoe gene. We need them as we need water, and air. The solution is simple. A $ 15.00 walmart suitcase, and $ 2.00 to tip the poor porter who has to lug them around. Better to have every shoe you want than to be dressed to the 9's be thrilled to be on your cruise, look like a million and then "KNOW" you'd look better if only you hadn't left the other strappy sandals.... or to be dancing feel fabulous and want to keep dancing except your feet are killing you cause you brought the 4" heels instead of the 2" heels you left at home. Ladies rejoice in the shoe gene take em all !!!
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love my Birkenstocks, they are not known for style, but great on comfort.
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Lynda

Bring shoes that match your outfit. You know the ones you buy and then buy a dress to match. It's fun being a girl! Live it up and Look cute!