Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2003, 04:12 PM
TinaJ

Default Dressing for Dinner

Just started reading messages here, now I"m worried! I was planning to wear my two mother of the bride/groom dresses on formal nites, one is a pale green sheath, just below tea length, the other is a purplish tea length with a sparkly sheer jacket (I think!). Hubby only has his "marryin' and burin' " suit- grey pinstripe. He has different shirts and ties to go with it. As for the other nites, he doesn't need a sports jacket does he? Just khakis and a button down shirt or polo? How about a Hawaiian print shirt and capris for me? Too casual? Believe it or not, this is not our first cruise, it's been 6 years or so on NCL, this is Carnival Victory. All the info here is makin me paranoid!!
TinaJ
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2003, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Dressing for Dinner

TinaJ...I feel your pain. We did a 2 week cruise on Spirit in Nov. We had 2 formal nights. I had a nice dress....nothing fancy & white slacks with a semi-dressy blouse. Hubby has dress pants, two dress shirts, sport coat w/ tie. For the other nights for me was slacks, capris, "Hawaiian " print shirts & sun dresses. Hubby slacks with his "Jimmy Buffet" shirts. I would suggest for yourself if you tend to be cold natured a light weight sweater...mind was white..goes with anything. For the formal nights we saw everything from dressy dressy to casual. Please don't stress.....enjoy the cruise.
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Tina,
When are you going on the Victory? We are going 1/25. And I'm wearing the mother of the groom dress. Light lavender tea length with a little bit of sparkle. Hubby is wearing sports jackets he wears at church. I'll do all the packing, so his clothes goes with mine. Been married 27 years he know I'll redress him anyway.
Old January 1st, 2004, 07:00 PM
TinaJ

Default Re: Re: Dressing for Dinner

Lol, understand completely about dressing the hubby. We celebrate 22 yrs. this year so he knows who is in charge of wardrobes. We are going on April 18, I got a group of friends together from my school, so mostly teachers and assistants along with hubbies, and a couple of tweens. I am looking forward to it!
TinaJ
Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Admiral

I wear a dark suit with tie on formal nights and dress slacks with a collared sports shirt on all other nights. I have never felt or been out of place on 19 cruises. Some men still wear a sports coat on the "smart casual" nights, but the number is dwindling. I only speak for cruises on RCI, Princess, Norwegian and Carnival.
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Am I going to be overdressed? Just bought the fabric for one of my formal dresses, pale lavender brushed satin, and white lace with silver threads running through it for an overlay. I also bought the cutest silver dressy sandals that match perfectly!

I've been told that the second night is usually the first formal night. Is this true? I hope so! This would perfectly coincide with my birthday and I can't think of anything better than cruising in the Caribbean with hubby, dressed to the nines and dancing the night away!

Old January 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Dee Willson

I will be attired in a White long Tailed TUX with black tie and colorful Vest. The wife will be in BLACK with Black pearals. Some of us do like to dress for the PARTY.
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Familiar Face

Don't be stressed or nervous about what to wear on the formal nights. You will see everything from promlike dresses and tuxedos to sundresses and sports coats.

I usually wear a cocktail dress and my husband wears a dark (usually black) suit. If you are really concerned, buy that perfect little black dress, find some glitzy, but not gawdy jewelry, and wear your hair up. You will never go wrong with that!

Good luck!
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Admiral

don't worry about it. All the outfits sound just fine. A long sheath dress with some sparkle, a tea-lenght cocktail dress , a long skirt with a sparkly/dressy blouse or a "little black " dressy dress are all fine. Dark suit or a suit coat with dark pants, shirt & tie work fine for the men. Dockers, polo shirts, button-downs and hawaiian print shirts are fine for casual nights for the men. Sundresses, capris, skirt/blouse, Dockers, button-down blouse are fine for women on casual nights
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:56 PM
TinaJ

Has there been some sort of change as far as the types of dress? My first cruise it was either formal or "dress nice for dinner" For a while now I've been hearing about formal, casual, and dressy casual ( I don't remember the exact terms, but you get the drift) So, should I plan for formal, dressy, and casual, or formal and casual, not meaning shorts and tanks but slacks, capris, sundress, etc. My capris are really lite weight, but not terribly long, below the news to about midcalf.
TinaJ
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Tina- Carnival tends to be more "laid-back" when it comes to their dress codes. Dinner in the main dining rooms are either casual - slacks, sundressess or capris are fine, and there will be 2 formal nights on a 7-day cruise. You will see everything from long sparkly sheath gowns, prom-type dresses, cocktail dresses, dressy pantsuits, long skirts w/dressy blouses to the always in little black cocktail dress. -