Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Jennifer P

Default How to carry things on shore??

When you go onshore, what do you usually carry your valuables/identification in? I'd like to be able to jetski, waterski, etc. without worrying about losing things or getting them wet. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good way to carry stuff?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Default Re: How to carry things on shore??

We use a water safe box on a string around our necks. I picked them up one summer, but I know they sold them on our Celebrity cruise in one of the gift shops when we were on it in 2000. Dh and I have used them a number of times since...especially at water parks.

Ours are about 4" high, 3" wide and about 1" thick. They are perfect to hold your ship ID, license, credit card(s) and some cash.

I'm not sure where you could pick one up now...hmmm....maybe a drug store or a walmart in FL before sailing?

HTH

Christine
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM
HeySailor

Those boxes are great--they sell them in any travel store, or in the luggage department of large department stores.

I also like to use a backpack while on shore excursions (not for the water, obviously). It's a nice way to stash your towel, water, book, etc., and if you're doing some hiking or biking, it gets it out of the way on your back.
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Admiral

We always carry a fanny-pack to hold the valuables. Most beaches will have lockers that you can lock- up your valuables. We take a collapasable tote to carry our beach towels, sunscreen, stuff like that.
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

We used lanyards to carry our IDs and money in. This way you don't have to dig through pouches to find your ID all the time. They were nylon and had zippered pouches so that you could store money and the ID goes in a clear plastic pouch in front. Also good for storing room cards. Everything else we put in fanny packs.

Old January 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Should I carry my passport with me on all the islands? or leave it locked up in my room?

Old January 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Admiral

We brought a backpack which we also used as a carryon. Just emptied it and packed it with water and towels, etc...

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Passenger

We bought two of those plastic cases at Ski and Sea in the outlet mall near us
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ladybug Send a message via Yahoo to ladybug
Default Re: Re: How to carry things on shore??

Hi,

You can also try a splash caddy. It is a waterproof pouch that goes around your waist , and can hold ID, credit cards, even a small camera. It comes in 2 sizes. magellans.com is a really cool site that has it, plus lots of other neat travel stuff. Hope that helps!!

Happy Cruising,

Melody
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Trish1c

Who ever asked about passport -- cruise should tell you whether you need it to enter somebody else's country. You usually do, which means bring it.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How to carry things on shore??

regarding the passport question, we just came back from carnival victory. they took our passports when we boarded and only gave them back to us on the last day. we carried our sail and sign card and a drivers licence as id (they never asked for the driver's licence). we kept a photocopy of our passports in our safe. we didn't dock on any port where we needed a passport (I think barbados requires them), and for future refference i will try to book cruises where the ports do not require passports, because if the cruise ship keeps them that means that on each port day if you need it you have to line up at 6am to get it. I don't know why they have to keep them anyway.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: How to carry things on shore??

If they kept your passports then you ARE NOT a US citizen. That is why they kept them.

They do NOT take passports away from US citizens.
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:48 AM
luv2cruise43

We always keep a color photcopy of our passport, shrunk 50% and laminated, in our possession while onshore any place we go. That way you always have proof of who you are and which country you are from. We have never had to use them, but you never know!

Happy cruising all!