Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Jessica A

Default Formal Dress

How formal are the actual formal dinner nights? I will be going on Celebrity's Constellation cruise and there are two formal nights. My boyfriend absolutely refuses to pack a suit. Will this mean that we won't be able to enter the dining room? Would kaki pants and a button down **** do? I think that's the most I'll be able to get him to do! Please help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal Dress

sorry to say Jessica but formal for a man (especially on Celebrity) means a dark suit, dress shirt and tie or a tux. You will not be turned away from the main dining room but you will definately be Under Dressed. If he won't go for a suit, try dark dress pants, a dark blazer,shirt and tie. Think along the lines of something you would wear to an evening wedding at a country club or fancy hotel. His khakis and buttondown shirt will be fine for CASUAL nights. Shop the thrift stores for a great deal on slightly worn blazer. Most major department stores are having good sales on winter/holiday merchandise you could pick up a blazer fairly cheap.
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Mickie

AS stated in the previous message the attire you describe is what is expected on Casual nights and the minimum he should expect to wear on any night in the dining room. No shorts or jeans ever allowed in the dining room at least not if you follow the instruction that come with your cruise documents.
He will need a jacket and tie at the very minimum on formal nights if you eat in the dining room or you will be very very out of place.j
and I have in fact seen people turned away from the dining room, but it seems to be sporatic and up to the dining room manager at the door at the time.
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Yeoman

Jessica, first please don't take this the wrong way but why on earth did you choose Celebrity if you have a BF who doesn't do "formal". I mean you chose one of the most formal of all the mass market lines. If you had chosen Carnival or RCI or NCL you would have been better off, even Princess, but CELEBRITY!? The only line more formal is Holland America!
Anyways , I don't know how to help you if your BF is really inflexible, and I don't know if Celebrity has a more casual dining room that you could dine in instead. Perhaps you could order room service( sometimes, on some lines, they let you order off the dining room menu ) and eat in that night, make it romantic.Or may be a big fat lie, tell the maitre'd that the suitcase with the suit got lost. I don't know , I hope that they let you dine in the dining room anyways just because you will enjoy it so much! May be once your BF sees how nice the dining room is he will relent and at LEAST wear a tie.
Good luck!
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

Had the same problem with my fiance. He absolutely refused to pack a suit jacket, even though we had planned to make reservations for a restaurant that requested a suit jacket, and I thought he should have one for the formal nights. But he wore slacks, a dress shirt and I managed to get him in a tie, . I felt a little out of place at Palo's (the place we needed the reservation for on Disney Magic), because it seemed like ALL the other men were wearing suits, but he looked okay enough. I was worried about the formal night, but it turns out a bunch of people didn't even dress up for it and there were people there in shorts and polos (this one guy had this shocked expression on his face when he saw people all dressed up...did he not read the info I wonder? ). Many men were in fact dressed up but there were several without suits. But according to this board Celebrity is a lot more formal. I suggest this: try to convince him to wear black dress pants instead of khakis. If he still refuses to bring a suit jacket, maybe you can pack one for him and then when you get there and he sees how dressed up the other men are, you can ask that he wear the jacket. I packed a tie for my fiance because I figured he'd conveniantly forget to pack one. He did pack one, but he packed one that completely clashed with his dress clothes and then he was like "Ohhh, darn, this looks HORRIBLE, guess I can't wear the tie." I went to my suitcase and pulled out the solid black tie and was like "Here, this doesn't clash." I figured the least he could do was put on a damn tie, .

Old January 16th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I say if he doesn't want to pack a suit then plan on dining in the casual restaurant(s) on formal night. No one is gonna force him to wear a suit/tux, but at least he can play by the rules.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Mark&Deb

We just got back from the Radiance. Most nites people were dressed very well on the regular nites. Khaki's & nice shirt or dress pants & nice shirts for guys on reg nites - nice pants outfits or dresses on most of the women. Formal nite both of them were FORMAL! People were dressed to the "T" - it was pretty nice. Mark didn't want to drag a suit/dress shoes so we rented the tux (it was in our state room when we arrived - 2 shirts for 2 nites & everything was total of like $92. But if the guys didn't have a tux on - then they had a suit & tie. There were even many w/the white dinner jackets. It was really really nice.

Mark&Deb
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:22 PM
BC Cruiser

I just got off the millennium yesterday. 2 formal nights. 99% of the guests did dress formal. Suit & tie, many tuxes. If he refuses either then you can opt to dine in a less formal setting. Option 2, dress up honey & dine with the other guest, perhaps he got too much sun that day!
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Trish1c

Don't know about Celebrity but many cruise lines offer the option to RENT formal wear on board.

If I were you, I'd reserve something for him for the 2nd night, if you can cancel it. After he sees how much fun it is, he may want to join in. If he still says no, cancel it & move on.

His attitude would make me furious (& in search of a new BF) but you didn't ask for relationship advice. If it otherwise doesn't bug you, eact somewhere else those nights; it's your vacation.
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

WE WERE ON THE SUMMIT IN 2002 ALASKA, AND IT WAS A VERY WIDE RANGE OF "FORMAL" A MAN IN JEANS WITH A WESTNER SHRIT WAS NOT TURNED AWAY. NO ONE WAS THAT WAS NOT "FORMAL" THERE WERE LOTS IN SIUTS AND TUXS BUT OTHERS WERE CASCUAL .
KAKIS WERE JUST FINE, YOUR FRIEND WILL BE FINE.