Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Carley & Bryan

Default Alaska in May

Any of you that have been to Alaska in May......Please help with the weather tips...Getting close and still have heard sooooo many conflicting temps etc.. Thanks..we will be going on the Radiance in May
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Re: Alaska in May

We went 6/1/03 and had DELIGHTFUL weather almost all week. Daytime temps were generally 55-65. However, be aware Alaska weather lends to be VERY erratic. Be prepared to layer clothing to cover temps of 35-75 plus rain. I packed in a black/red/white series with 2 warm up suits, blouses, sweaters to co-ordinate plus a windbreaker for layering. added umbrellas (folding) and rain ponchos ($2 Walmart Sport Dept) which we never used. The weather can go either way between mid May and late June and isn't real warm even in July and Aug.
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:28 PM
mdgg

I went on an Alaskan cruise in June. As for the weather, it really depends on where you go. However, expect cold weather (be sure to bring jeans, long sleeves, sweatshirts, anything you can layer!) and also —what we didn't expect— rain. So pack some rain gear in case you run into an Alaskan storm. brrrrrrr!!
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Sea Wings

HELP!!!

I have heard about layering clothes for Alaska, but what should the top layer be??

Should it be a full warmth winter coat or some sort of spring jacket?

Cruising end of May and still do not know which jacket to bring.

Thanks
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Marty Scavongelli

Default Re: Re: Alaska in May

Hi Sea Wings: .......double HELP!! Thanks for posting this message. I hope you get Lots of replies. We're on our 1st cruise & it's to Alaska in August. I keep hearing the "layering" advice. Sounds appropriate as we are summer boaters in RI. I don't know what top layer should be either, but have guessed I might take my lightweight, water repllent, bright yellow Gore-Tex jacket with hood. A fleece, zippered jacket (water resistant)for underneath that, if needed, a couple of long sleeves TShirts, a few short-sleeved ones and sturdy shoes and jeans. A black ,cotton lined jogging suit. And maybe we'll hope to get lucky and peel those layers off? Also, maybe those little, one size-fits-all, stretchy gloves that cost a buck or two at the drug store tucked in our pockets, just in case?

Here's the problem. Just what are we supposed to pack for the evenings? I'd decided two pair of dressy silk slacks (cream & black), a couple of silk blouses, a couple of sweater sets (use the sweaters over the blouses if needed) and 2 glittery tops for formal and one pair of great looking black satin/fabric slingback heels and I'm done. Now, I'm reading a good black dress, short or long, and I don't own either. I've got lots of time to buy a dress....but it wont be any gown. No use for it later.

I am determined not to let this dress thing become too much of an effort just to see a bear But, don't want to look too odd. So, maybe others will help with some cost-effective strategies for this "formally" hopeless, 1st time cruiser. No problem for the husband, he's got many suits........but he wont bring his old, trust y tuxedo. To him, that's not a vacation. That's a Wedding or Bar Mitzvah!
Marty
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
Sea Wings

Hi Marty
Loved your comment on too much effort to see a bear I feel too much emphasis is given to wardrobes on cruises. We are supose to be enjoying the cruise and relaxing ,not being clothes horses and changing three times a day.

We go to many formal and semi formal events each year. The trend that I see is to do your own thing. Be comfortable. Who cares if my dinner mates are wearing a gown, slacks or tux? Not me!
Just be freshly showered and friendly.

Your wardrobe sounds good to me. I have found that to enjoy an evening I have to have comfortable clothes and shoes . Thats what I plan for my cruise. The only problem I have is which coat to bring. I like your plan about the "water repellent light weight jacket on top of a fleece " Thanks for that one too.
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Marty Scavongelli

Default Re: Re: Alaska in May

Hi Sea Wings: You said exactly what I tried to say, but better. Comfort is the key. Good clothes, good shoes make the evening...but they must be comfortable. Sounds as though many change after dinner for rest of the evening (into more comfortable clothes?). If I'm bothering to dress for dinner ...such as it is....I'm staying "out" and NOT running back to my cabin to change. Too much extra work for me. Marty
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Dorothy L

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska in August, 2004. We too have read about layering, etc. So we have decided to bring a pair of long underwear to go under our clothes just in case it is really cold.

Carnival Spirit
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Yeoman

We were there in May 2003, and it was very cold. I'm from the Gulf Coast, but even those we met from Canada thought it was cold. It never got above the mid-forties, but what was so bad was the wind. It was a constant cold wind especially on board. It was sunny the whole week though. DH found that a nylon rain jacket over a quilted wool shirt kept him warm. I wanted more, but, again, I'm from the South. Passengers were definitely dressed more casually than what we saw on our Caribbean cruise. Most simply wore good Sunday clothes on formal nights. Hardly anyone stayed in their dressy clothes after dinner, and we saw lots of jeans and jogging suits in the public areas.

Carnival Inspiration
Old March 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Yeoman

We went in mid May last year. The temp never rose above the mid-forites, but there was a constant COLD wind that made it miserable. Everyone was cold, even those we met from Canada and the cold northern states. We had beautiful sun shine though. Going in May, be prepared for colder weather, especially near the glaciers. A friend went in May a couple of years ago and said that it was 98 the day he was in Ketchikan. So unpredictable is the key.

Alaska cruises are more casual. We saw mostly good Sunday clothes for formal nights, and jeans and sweat suits in public areas other than the dining room.

Carnival Inspiration
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:01 AM
First Mate

Hi - I go to Alaska every year usually on my own as I just adore the place (hubby & other family members only want to go sometimes) and I have been for yrs. I usually now go May - early June or Sept 'cause I prefer it cooler (July /Aug can get quite hot believe it or not - into the 80's with no breeze or shade in a lot of places). The answers here are all great and there isn't much I can add except take gloves & most importantly a touque ('cause u lose more heat out of the top of your head than anywhere else) esp if u are going dog sledding or to a glacier. Also,skip the umbrella and opt for a hooded raincoat / jacket instead - leaves your hands free & u won't have to worry about wind turning it inside out either.. Rain (and wind) around this time of yr is likely esp in Ketchikan and it can be very cool. That said, I have also experienced 'shorts' weather and not a drop of rain or wind in late May! U will have a wonderful time whatever happens. Plse be sure to take binoculars if u can - they will prove invaluable..I guarantee that all those that forgot theirs will be 'pea-green' with envy...Happy cruisin'!