Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
Crimhole

Default Dinner dress on casual nights -- Celebrity

I am going on a Celebrity cruise in a few weeks. Is it OK to wear a polo-type shirt (with khakis or other pants, of course) on casual nights in the dining room, or do most of the men wear nicer shirts, such as button-down long-sleeved dress shirts? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dinner dress on casual nights -- Celebrity

polo type shirts with khakis are fine for casual nights. Hawaiian print shirts are great for island night. Short-sleeve collared buttondowns work great too. If you feel you want to bump it up a notch a nice short sleeve silk or linen shirt is always appropriate.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Crimhole

Default Re: Re: Dinner dress on casual nights -- Celebrity

Lisa, thanks for the info. I have read other posts on this message board saying that the differences between informal and casual nights are minimal. I guess I'll bring maybe one extra dress shirt to wear on the informal nights (there might be two on my cruise, but I'm not sure). I also might bring along an extra couple of ties to mix and match on the formal and, if needed, informal nights.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Admiral

That sounds like a good plan. You are right that there is and has been a lot of confusion about the informal and smart casual. Informal "used" to be called
semi-formal, which had people even more confused! Think blazer with nice slacks with or without a tie (nice silk T would work for him) and a nice dress, pantsuits or dressy ensemble for her.

Have a great time planning and on your cruise. You will find the majority of people really try to look their best. It creates a really nice atmosphere.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Admiral

you might want to throw in a blazer for the informal nights - you could always throw it over your polo shirt.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yippee! Hubby thinks that at the very least he's expected to wear a jacket and tie on informal nights. Now I get to admire him some more!

My in-laws tried to tell him that he could get away with only a sport coat on formal nights and golf shirts the rest of the time but I shushed them good. I love to dress up and he looks so handsome all decked out that I can't wait for my trip!

Old January 25th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I called Celebrity last night specifically asking about Informal and Casual nights and I was told that NO denim of any kind should be worn in the dinning room on Celebrity.
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:27 PM
mdgg

i've been on celebrity before. celebrity's casual nights are perfect for khakis, polos, etc, but NO JEANS. they only let you wear jeans the first night.
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Cruisingrandma

There should be No JEANS on any cruise line... Just my Opinion... i know I am not the majority on this subject though. It is fun to dress for dinner. Happy cruising.....
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:46 PM
TyNiMe

Default Re: Re: Dinner dress on casual nights -- Celebrity

I agree that the jeans should be left at home.
I told my kids when we were choosing a cruise that we would be having a "Denim Free
Vacation" The funny thing is they are excited- well, ok not my 15 year old son,-
to get to dressed up. Even my darling jaded son said"it's ok, no one I know will see me!!!"
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:17 PM
jamiegunter

What do you wear on the informal nights? Need to know for the ladies and men. We are thinking of trying out Celebrity. Our last two have been on Carnival. I know what to wear on Formal and casual, but confused on the informal.
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Jamie, Informal - jacket with tie for the men, dress or pants outfit for the ladies. Think like you were going to a nice daytime wedding or out to celebrate your anniversary, etc. Something nice.
Bon Voyage
Old February 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I tend to wear much the same thing on informal and casual nites. I own a number of silk pant outfits in two color categories (black and ream/tan)which have multiple tops and I just pack one group per cruise for as many nites as needed. Also, this tends to co-ord my dress shoes and eve bag.