Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
First Mate

Default Carry On Cooler?

We just bought a 54 can capacity, soft, colapsible cooler with wheels. Should/Could we load this with wine/soda/water and carry it on. Or pack it folded and put the drinks in something safer to check??

Thanks for your advise,

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Carry On Cooler?

I hope you are joking. I can understand bringing a bottle of wine or two to celebrate a special event, but a 54 can capacity cooler? How about strapping a cot to your back and sleeping on the deck to save the cost of the cabin. I highly doubt that is acceptable by any of the cruiselines. Although, if any would permit such a thing, it would be Carnival.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:06 PM
Admiral

no you cannot carry-on a cooler. I hate to tell you this but for about the cost of the cooler you can purchase an unlimited soda card/sticker for the duration of the cruise. Why would you want to packa cooler in your checked baggage? It would just take up precious space.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Lindy

Okay, I'm here to your rescue...We bought the same cooler...54 cans sounds big..it's not...it also has rolling wheels and the telescoping handle like a carryon piece of luggage would. (and it cost under $13.) We plan to load it with the water/soda we're bringing on with us..no ice , and maybe a few other items we may need until our luggage arrives. Then when we get to the room, we'll use it to ice down our beverages. It has a zipper on the side to keep our cruise documents and a pocket for a cell phone. I thought it was a great idea. I haven't measured it yet, but I think if falls within the size limitations fully expanded.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Carry On Cooler?

Thanks so much lindy. I've seen a lot of cruel replies on here and have defended many other people and maybe other people will come to my rescue. We should stick to answering questions not commenting or insulting the people directly! I was only giving the capacity to give an idea of size so you can imagine if it would fit through the exray machine, since I haven't cruised in 15 years. The elation does not have refrigerators in any of their rooms, so if you want to keep a bottle of water cold for medicine or a soda, etc. you need to fill a cooler with us. The colapsible soft sided one was easier to carry and roomy enough to be a substitute fridge. I fully intend to bring the wine to the dr and pay my $10.00 corking fee not put it in a glass and carry it to dinner to save the $10.00 bucks like many people have suggested in these posts.

People that pay many thousands of dollars for their cruises plus tips, gambling and tours are not cheap, etc., etc.

Fine, if I don't get an apology but in the future please keep your personal comments about people whom you don't even know to yourself.
Old February 4th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Question? does this cooler look like a cooler or does it look like a piece of luggage? The reason i ask is that if it is obvious that you are trying to bring a cooler aboard (filled with soda/water-or whatever) the x-ray scanner will see the contents and your cooler will be confiscated. Is that a risk you want to take? just curious. If your cabin doesn't have a fridge, ask your cabin steward for an ice bucket or fill up the sink with ice.
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:50 PM
First Mate

Hi Lisa,

It is square and soft sided, it has a pull up handle like a carry on bag, and on the outside it has a big pocket for papers and a cell phone holder. I was under the impression that soda and water is OK as long as it is not an excessive amount, and the wine is totally legal on Carnival, and they charge a $10.00 per bottle corkage fee.

It will just be more refrigerator like than the tiny ice bucket and with 4 people in one cabin, using the sink is not an option.

Thank you for being more rational in your "concerns" then others!

Natalie

Old February 4th, 2004, 08:46 PM
elmer433

This sounds convenient for many types of vacations, where do you buy a cooler like this?
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Thanks Elmer,

If you scroll up on the post others weren't as kind! I got mine on clearance at Target. It was only 12.50.

Natalie
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Yolanda

I don't think the replies were cruel, they are just being helpful. Email and message boards such as these don't convey emotions very well.

You may find it less expensive in some ports to purchase drinks there, rather than before you leave. That way, you can have room for more things to bring with you if you don't completely fill your cooler with beverages. Also, if the cruise line does frown on you bringing drinks onto the ship, you can show them it's packed with only a few among your clothes, for example, and that you plan on using the cooler as a refridgerator, since the cruise line doesn't provide them for you.

Just my opinion. Cruising is expensive; I plan on bringing food from the ship to shore, unless announced not to or there are signs. I am more a water drinker than pop and alcohol.

Have a great trip!

~ Yolanda
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:14 PM
First Mate

Dear Yolanda,

OK maybe cruel was a strong word and I generalized, not all messages were inappropriate you and Lisa were helpful in your comments. But, the first reply by Karsl was not nice, and not appropriate. I've seen too many comments like his on these boards. I firmly believe that you should keep your posts to answering questions and offering advice, leave your personal opinions to yourself. If you don't approve of what someone is doing, don't do it yourself, but don't make comments like that!

Thanks, Natalie
Old February 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Natalie,

I'll be curious to see what happens when you get onboard. I would be totally prepared to have your cooler taken away. I think you are correct that most cruiselines don't care as long as you don't bring on an "excessive amount" as you said. I'm thinking almost anyone would consider 54 sodas an "excessive amount."

I'd hate to see your new cooler and all your plans for sodas disappear...

Another thing I was thinking - it sounds as though you drink a lot of soda. Are you sure you want to be running back to your cabin all day? The soda cards are not *that* expensive.

Good luck

dorothy
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

HI
THE STAFF LOOKS THROUGH EVERYTHING, THEY DON'T MISS A THING SINCE 9/11.
PLUS THE SHIP IS IN THE BIZ OF MAKING$$$$$$$. I WONDER IF THEY WILL LET YOU KEEP THE STUFF OR GIVE IT BACK TO YOU AT THE END OF THE TRIP...
GIGI
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Lindy

Okay folks, since we're doing the cooler thing too, I'm taking the initiative to try to explain this. There are 3 of us, (one less than Natalie), 2 drinks per day X 3 people, X 7 days = 42 drinks. Although, this is a reasonable amount, that is not our main reason for bringing the cooler. I and my husband, for instance, have been on a low carb diet for 8 months. Granted, we will be eating higher carbs for the duration of the cruise, we are in the habit of drinking Diet Rite and Crystal Lite...no carbs and sweetened with Splenda. Both are unavailable on the cruise. I don't want to completely carb out on drinks alone and we also avoid aspartame (hence, no regular diet drinks). We will be buying our son a soda card and I'm sure we'll buy an occasional water or other beverage here and there. But, we would enjoy having a beverage in our room without having to dress to go get it or order room service for just a drink. I don't think a couple drinks a day is "excessive" especially when it is something unavailable on the ship. We plan to carry on other things in our "cooler" along with the drinks (no ice) that we may need prior to our luggage arriving...swimsuits, meds, etc. Also, I have read other posts from prior cruisers who have done this and suggest doing so as the rooms do not have refrigerators. Many of them carry their coolers off on shore excursions filled with room service sandwiches etc. to keep from buying food in port. (although this isn't in our plans) I have measured my cooler fully expanded and it falls within the limit allowed for a carryon.

The staff is more than welcome to search our cooler. We are totally in line with their "policy" as they do not define "excessive" in the brochure.

If they feel the need to take it, I won't stand and argue, I'll just pick it up and take it back home when we leave.

By the way, they will be making plenty of money off me even if I don't buy their sodas.

I hope this clears up some of the concern for those of us planning to bring coolers on the ship and better explains our reasons for doing so.
Old February 9th, 2004, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Carry On Cooler?

Lindy--thanks again,

I'm really sorry I brought this up. I should have just measured my like Lindy and kept my mouth shut. As also tried to explain, the main reason for the cooler was for a refrigerator in the room. We are carrying on about 5 bottles of wine (perfectly legal and acceptable on Carnival) and maybe some bottles of water to keep cold in our room (also fine!). My only question, was: Is the cooler and its contents safe as a carry-on and would it fit. I wasn't ever carrying 54 coolers, trying to be cheap, sneaky, etc., etc.

Sorry to have started such a rucus. Will definitely watch what I post!!!!!!!

Natalie
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carry On Cooler?

I went on the victory in january and took a cooler. Mine is a small colapsible one that i filled with all my cosmetics, medicine, sunscreen, shampoo, it works in case something bursts. Then, when on the ship we used it to fill up with food, milk and water to take to the island (I have a 2 and a 5 year old and I took snacks from the breakfast buffet). There's signs saying you are not allowed to take food off the ship but they never checked. Also, on the way back from grand cayman my husband bought 4 sodas ($1 each) and they didn't take them away. we also purchased liquor in grand cayman and ocho rios that they did not take away. I think that if you don't exagerate in the amount you bring they don't care.
Old February 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Default Carry On Cooler?

Delron,

Did you carry your cooler on the first day, or did you pack it in your checked luggage filled with toiletries, etc. Did you bring any wine or water with you?

Thanks,

Natalie
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
SLS

5 bottles of wine are perfectly legal and exceptable on Carnival? I thought I read in my paperwork that you could only bring one.

sls
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

5 bottles of wine is most likely considered "excessive" for one cabin. 2 is usually the norm that is allowed to be brought on board.
The whole "cooler" issue was brought about a few years ago when people actually had the galls to try to bring aboard those huge Igloo or Thermos type coolers. Hard side coolers of any size are considered a no-no.
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM
First Mate

I've never seen a limit on amount of wine. We intend to bring about 5 so that we have it for dinner most nights. We are bringing them to the dining room. For a 7 night cruise 5 doesn't seem excessive to me as we can drink about one a dinner.
Old February 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM
retiredldo

We have toted brown paper bags with soda water etc and I really doubt that they will stop you with the cooler. Soda cards, careful you have to drink a ton of soda to make money on that, highly unlikely the ship is going to lose money on this

Pete
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:00 AM
Passenger

I had hoped to pick up a case of water to bring onboard in Miami and have the wetbar emptied to store it in. Would that be considered excessive for two cabins? We are a family of 5 and big water drinkers not soda drinkers (we did purchase the cards for the kids anyway though).
Any suggestions?
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:09 AM
Passenger

oops, i meant minibar not wetbar. sorry i've been on computer too long today.
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Gina,

We are also big water drinkers, but found the water onboard to be just fine. Right out of the tap! That being said, I saw people lugging cases of water onboard, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Thanks Dorothy,
Being that we're spoild and don't even drink our own tap water at home, I think we'll be one of those lugging some onboard. Besides, it's easier to carry around in the bottle than a cup.
Thanks for letting me know, at least i won't feel too silly being i won't be the only one.
Gina
Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Gina, the water on all the new cruise ships is distilled and probably of better quality than that found in most commercial bottled waters. Also, it is used in ice, drinks, coffee and tea on the ship.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
DH

We are first time cruisers... What's with the soda cards? I guess I thought the refreshments were part of the package. I did understand that alcoholoc beverages were not. Can anyone enlighten me on the soda card?
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Until about two years ago, soda was free on RCI in the dining room for lunch and dinner. However, that has ended, and most of the lines charge for soda. I suppose you can still get it free on lines like Crystal and Silversea, but the cost of the cruise will be much higher.
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Soda on the ship is not free. Each glass will run you about $2.50 plus 15% gratuity. You can purchase a soda card at the rate of about $4 per day for the lenth of the cruise but you have to do it your first day on board. I always go this route because I drink a lot of soda with my meals.

Ice tea, lemonade, fruit punch, water, coffee, and tea are the free drinks.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM
First Mate

We have always brought a soft sided cooler(12 pack size) with us while cruising ( 5 times, so far) I usually put in a few bottles of water and several cans of soda. I haven't had any trouble when checking in and many times my cabin steward(s) have kept it full with ice. When in port I buy a few more cans of soda, in case we get thirsty at night or that occasional hang over. The water on the ships have been just fine, especially when you are drinking it on ice. When bringing wine aboard, I have never been questioned, but I usually only take 2 bottles. Wondering if I will be stopped on this next cruise, 10 days and looking at bringing 4-5 bottles for 3 of us.
Have a great cruise all!!