Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:18 PM
D Hallenbeck

Default stressing over attire

I am a first time cruiser and will be cruising on RCL Explorer of the Seas with my family when my spouse returns from Iraq this spring. I have heard and read so much about appropriate attire. I mentioned today to a friend that I was going to wear a beaded black velvet dress that I have for one of the formal nights. She immediately jumped in to say you can't wear black velvet in April. Advice welcomed. I want to relax with my family after a very stressful year and not stress over wardrobe shopping and selection.
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: stressing over attire

Sounds weird to me. Why can't you wear black velvet in April? I think that it would be appropriate and that you would look beautiful.
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

I will be taking with me a black velvet long dress with me in 2 weeks. It is strapless, but I don't think that would make a difference. Wear what you want to. There are no fashion police on the ship. Just go and have fun. And thank your husband for me! He deserves it.

Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The black velvet dress is fine, I too have one I pack for "formal" night while cruising, you'll look wonderful, so go ahead and plan on wearing it.

Just an FYI, you can also wear "white" in the Caribbean all year round, not a problem there either.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

Thanks Donna! I didn't know I could bring white! I am so excited now...I have to go and check what I have packed.

Thanks, Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old February 6th, 2004, 08:10 AM
dee-lynn

I, too am taking black velvet outfits with me for my 11 night cruise. I think black velvet looks very formal and beautiful on a woman. Don't stress about your clothing, i am sure you will look beautiful. Enjoy your special time with your family that's far more important! Bon Voyage!
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

I don't see why you "can't" wear black velvet in April as long as you are comfortable and won't get too hot. Wear what you like. I wore a black velvet dress jacket over my skirt/top set on a June cruise.

Old February 6th, 2004, 10:42 PM
D Hallenbeck

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it and it has put my mind at ease. Oh so many questions a first time cruiser has :-). Thanks
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Jilles

Default Re: Re: stressing over attire

I am very confused about the comment that you can wear white...I never knew there was ever an issue. What's the deal with white?
Old February 7th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: stressing over attire

Hi Jilles,
Here you can wear "white" between June through Aug., just something I was brought up doing, down in the Caribbean you can wear white all year round. I just never wear white shorts/pants after Labor day, anyone else?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to yakyakyak3

I'd say all of us over 35 learned those "never wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day" rules, thus the term "winter white" to describe the clothing light in color that's ok to wear. Might be going the way of hats and gloves (or dresses, for that matter !) for church.
and D--God Bless you and your spouse
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:45 AM
SLS

Is your husband military? Is he going to wear his dinner dress? I love seeing military men in dinner dress or dress uniform.

sls
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM
ses

How timely!! I came to this board to ask a question so similar. My dress is long black chifon with an attached bolero looking jacket that is velvet. Sounds like our velvet is just fine for the cruise. I should have just listened to my mother! She had already said to "wear the sleeves" because she always freezes in the dining room!!! Happy Cruising
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Admiral

ses, sounds beautiful and perfect!
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:04 AM
Kerri Kramer

You will be fine in your black velvet and may appreciatte it if you are out on deck where it gets windy at night! You will also be lucky enough to have a man in uniform on your arm which makes anyone feel jealous! ( My son is in the Army and I know how handsome he is in his dress uniform).
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
First Mate

Unfortunately, I grew up in the Northeast a long time ago, and my mother and then I strictly adhered to the No white before Memorial day or after labor day, especially shoes. I now live in Texas and summer is longer!

But, on the ship there will be folks all over. For those of you more seasoned have you seen white sandals and white pants in the Spring (March) on board the ship, or have you seen more spring/fall attire except for the summer.

Thanks for the comments!

Natalie

Old April 1st, 2004, 07:36 PM
Seebee

Tru;ly any very dressy dress will work on RCL in April. I think Velvet will work--you see everything. I usually wear a long black skirt and top or a long black tank dress with a jacket. Relax, as I said anything dress;y will be fine.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:04 PM
Passenger

I think the "white rule" is Easter Sunday thru Labor day. As least in the south. IMHO all rules are out when cruising!!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Agree that it gets quite chilly sometimes in the dining room. And your velvet dress sounds just fine to me. Don't stress, enjoy!

Join us for the Glorious Victorious Thanksgiving Cruisemates Cruise on November 21, 2004. Great rates and lots of fun! Click on the link for all the details.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ictory2004.cfm

Carnival Glory
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Cindyb,
I think your right about the "white rule" being from Easter thru Labor day.
I'm from the north (Michigan) and that is what I was taught.
I know as a child my mom used to buy me white patten leather shoes and white gloves.
To this day I won't wear white shoes, jeans, coat, dresses etc. before Easter...Not Even the day before.lol
CLWallag
Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
First Mate

At least you're wearing something - you get arrested if u don't :-) Hope u have a very happy & well deserved cruise experience and I ditto the 'GOD BLESS and THANKS to your spouse, yourself....& all the brave men & women serving overseas...
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:50 AM
cecil

As a male I don't know much about those dress color rules. All I know is my wife always takes a black dress and she looks BEAUTIFUL as I am sure you will.
We go 5/1 on the Century and I am ready.
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Sue Sue

D, Let's see.... DH in IRAQ or a velvet gown. I can only imagine such stress, and the gown does not have my vote. I am sure that your DH will only have eyes for you whether or not your wearing a velvet gown or if it is against any fashion rules. (Which it is not) Give that man or yours hugs from this Cruisemate. And while your at it, don't forget a hug to yourself. Bon Voyage! Sue Sue
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:39 PM
First Mate

Lucky lady your wife!!
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Julia Ledyard

This is an answer to D. Hallenbeck's query about wearing velvet. The old rule was that velvet may be worn only from Thanksgiving until Valentine's day. It's somewhat like the rule that says white, except for "winter white," may be worn only berween Memorial Day and Labor Day. However, people seem to wear velvet and white whenever they want today. If you love it, wear it. As long as you're comfortable....
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am sailing in May and both of my formal dresses are black with beading. As long as you look nice, who cares.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Lana

I'm from Kansas, but 1 mile from the Oklahoma border, so maybe that qualifies me as being somewhat of a southern girl. My mother and grandmother always stuck to the rule of no white pants, white shoes, etc. before Easter or after Labor day. Even though most people don't know what you're talking about now, I still can't bring myself to break that rule.
Easter always meant new white shoes and new white gloves and a new hat for church Easter morning. I did it for my girls, also.
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Amy Smith

I'm so glad I found this post! I am going on Hal Zuiderdam Dec. 18(to bahamas). I have been wondering what would be appropriate to wear - especially at dinner-that time of year. We will definitely be wearing wintery/velvety type holiday formal wear on the formal nights. But can my daughter and I go from that to wearing a sundress on the other nights? My husband says "who cares?" but I just want to dress appropriately - ya know? Does anyone know what the weather can be like at night in December in the Bahamas?
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM
First Mate

Hi Amy Smith - it will be very warm dear although in the dining room, 'cause of the AC, it can be chilly - the velvet, etc. wld be great - it is, after all, winter even in those climes..that said, u can also wear warmer season stuff too (just remember the stole or sweater). It's your holiday- wear what u enjoy that makes u look & feel good within the guidelines set out for formal, informal & causual nites.Happy cruisin'.