CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   wrinkles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294265-wrinkles.html)

victory cruiser March 6th, 2004 01:49 PM

wrinkles

has anyone ever used the laundry service to get the wrinkles out of your formal gown? It will probably wrinkle and I was just wondering how much they charge? thanks for any info you might have.

p.s. I have read that you can not bring your own iron. Is this true?

victoria

Donna March 6th, 2004 07:15 PM

Re: wrinkles

Hi Victoria,
Depending on what ship you are on, some cruiseships have self serve laundry rooms, with irons and ironing boards.. You can also pack your formals in the plastic dry cleaner bags, no wrinkles and I always use a garment bag.

Both Carnival and Princess have the self service laundry rooms, are you on one of their ships?

dee-lynn March 6th, 2004 09:52 PM

Re: Re: wrinkles

Yes, I too; have heard that you cannot have an iron in your cabin. It's a fire hazard.

victory cruiser March 6th, 2004 10:10 PM

Re: Re: wrinkles

I will be on the carnival victory. Thanks for the information.

victory cruiser March 6th, 2004 10:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: wrinkles

where you from dee-lynn? Are you Canadian? we both use rogers, that is why I ask.

valeerie March 8th, 2004 09:18 AM

Hang it up in the bathroom after a nice steamy shower. Most of the wrinkles will be gone. Using your hairdryer while it is still a bit damp will remove most of the "bad" ones.

Pie April 4th, 2004 10:50 PM

I bring a formal that I love that wrinkles now matter what I do and shower steam, blow dryer etc. will not get the wrinkles out. I send it to the dry cleaner on the ship as soon as I can - it costs about $14 if I remember correctly. I lot for ironing - but I love this dress and its the only chance I get to wear it!

LisaK April 5th, 2004 01:57 PM

You may bring a travel steamer with you. pack your dress in a dry cleaners bag and hang it in a garment bag while you travel and hang it up right away

Confused in Oregon April 5th, 2004 04:23 PM

I find packing everything really, really tight in the suitcase helps a lot with wrinkles. So my husband's tuxedo, jackets and anything of mine of that nature will go into one suitcase. Things that aren't flat in shape and/or that don't tend to wrinkle go in the other bag. Holland American has laundry rooms with irons. I would think even something pretty delicate would be alright if ironed on the wrong side with a very cool iron. But I also agree that paying to have it pressed is fine also. In the grand scheme on things, what's a few more dollars, right?

Tweety April 5th, 2004 07:05 PM

Agree totally about the few more dollars. Granddaughter has a really pretty ball gown but very full skirt and no matter how you pack it it wrinkles. Give it to the steward first night of the cruise and it comes back all pressed and she looks like Cinderella when it's done.

Have found however that if packed tightly enough in the suitcase so it doesn't shuffle around with cleaners bags, things are usually pretty good to wear with just a little shake.

Join us for the Glorious Victorious Thanksgiving Cruisemates Cruise on November 21, 2004. Great rates and lots of fun! Click on the link for all the details.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ictory2004.cfm

Enjoy your cruise.

Post Edited (04-05-04 19:06)

YaYa Cruise Goddess April 6th, 2004 07:25 PM

Hi!
If any of you are familiar with Chico's, they carry a travelers line that is wrinkle-proof. Get the long black sleeveless dress and dress it us with one of their jackets. You will look very appropriate. Or get a pair of their black travelers pants and match it with a black beaded top for formal night.
I you don't have a Chico's in your area, go to www.chicos.com

Hope this helps!
YaYa Cruise Goddess

Gloria April 29th, 2004 11:35 AM

I bring both a traveling iron and traveling steam iron.... we have been on 12 cruises and have never had a problem with bringing them... I packed them in my regular check in bags and they come in very handy... I wouldn't travel without them......
The cruise ships electric plugs work fine and you don't need an adapter....

Enjoy.