Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Passenger

Default digital camera

We are going to alaska in june and want to take a lot of pictures. I have been admiring all the great pictures on the photo gallery and i need some advice on what digital camera to purchase. What do you recommend (2.0, 3.2 or higher?? and what brand)
Thanks for your help.

cindy
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: digital camera

I just recently bought a sony digital camera that i love! Its called the DSC-P8 cybershot and its 3.2 mp. Its perfect for basic picture taking and it has movie mode with audio. It was around 400$ tho because you need to buy a larger memory card. It only comes with a 16mb and depending on how many pictures you want to be able to hold you need around a 256mb. hope that helps
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:23 PM
momof2also

Thanks it does help. And it seems that they never give you everything that you need when you make an electronic purchase!!
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Born to Cruise

Default Canon A80 digital camera

Hi,

We have a Canon Power Shot A80 which is super, and does just about everything. Love it! (About $400 retail.)

It is a 4.0 mega pixels. But be fore warned! These digital cameras EAT BATTERIES.
We did, and I strongly suggest, buying a battery charger and re-chargeable batteries.

This camera takes 4 "AA" NiMH and the cost is "up there". 8 batteries were about $16.00 at Sam's Club. However, I bought the charger ($25) and re-chargeable batteries
8 @ about $18.00 and they can be recharged up to a hundred times. And, you always
need to have a spare set charged and ready to go. So, you need at least 8-12 batteries.

Just an idea I thougt I would share.

Bon Voyage to all!
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM
MichelleJed

We just got a Kodak easy share DX6440, it is 4mpix comes with a dock that is also a charger. We bought a 256mb SD card, that will hold all you will need.
Camera very user friendly, has vidio with sound, got on ebay for 250(retail350)
SDcard was on sale for $60 on line store
We got it mainly for our grandkids and if I can take good pics, any one can lol.
Check the dif sites to compare and then go look at them so you can hold and test them, dont forget to check online stores for best prices.

good luck
Michelle
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to kellykimmelman Send a message via MSN to kellykimmelman Send a message via Yahoo to kellykimmelman

I got a Vivitar ViviCam3705... You get what you pay for and I don't recommend it..

It costs around 100 dollars
No removable memory card, so when it gets full you either put the pictures on a computer or you delete some
It eats batteries like none other
The zoom is nothing to write home about (3x digital zoom)

Hope that gives you an idea!

Rhapsody of the Seas - April 2004
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Admiral

we have a HP photosmart - takes great pictures, get the battery charger & rechargeable batteries, and a memory card.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:03 PM
Tom Daoust

I love my Minolta Dimage X. Pics are about 1.9 megapixels, which seems to be enough resolution to get great snapshots and even 8X10s. The best camera is the one you have with you all the time and is easy to use. The Dimage X is that. Remember more pixels means fewer pictures fit on each memory card. I can take almost 400 pictures on a single 256M memory card. I rotate 3 different rechargable batteries (about $40 ea.) and can shoot pics all day. Check out this camera.
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM
can't wait

Buy at least a 3.0 picx are 8x10 blow ups will be graine
also buy a 256 memory card it holds about 6 rolls of film (214 pictures) also rechargeable batteries as the digiat eats batteries
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Have a Canon S30 which is great cause it doesn't take double AA batteries. I have found that the response time on double AA's is quite slow. I do agree that if you are using AA batteries get rechargeable ones and a charger.

Carnival Glory
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have the Nikin Cool Pix 4300 and love it. The best feature other than being easy to use and 4megapixels is the fact that it has a rechargable battery. Retail is about $300.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Stacycruiser
Default Re: Re: digital camera

Gateway has a new camera out and it is award winning. It retails for $399 or so and is a 5.0. It can be viewed on Gateways web page.
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:34 PM
First Mate

We've got the Sony Cyber-shot and have been very pleased with it. We also have the charger and carry several extra batteries. We have two memory cards - totaling 256 MB. We figure that should do it. Of course, we're also taking a disposable to two - AND an underwater camera...for those snorkle shots.

If you get one new - make sure you have time to practice with it BEFORE you go.

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Newbycruisey

Does anyone know if onboard there is the ability to download your pictures from memory sticks onto a cd to carry home? Have a Sony with telephoto lens and love it.....

Cruising to Alaska, July 3 aboard the Diamond Princess.
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Newbycruisey

Does anyone know if onboard there is the ability to download your pictures from memory sticks onto a cd to carry home? Have a Sony with telephoto lens and love it.....

Cruising to Alaska, July 3 aboard the Diamond Princess.
Old April 14th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Parrot Mom

bought days before a land vacation a Canon Powershot A70...which I found out is highly recommendedy by Consumers Report, has a 3.2 megapixal, but has sound and can take a moving picture. I myself am shocked at the great quality... it does come with software and we bought an extra large memory card.. I don't believe in camera bags per se.. so I have it in a sort of vinyl bag we got on RCI.. The other thing that I like about it is the hand grip.. I did I belive overpay..lol, because I didn't buy it over the internet...but I took a heck of alot o pictures.. My husband is on his third digital and says mine is better..lol...Be glad to share few with you
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM
bonnie CORNS

I just recd the CANON POWERSHOT A70 for my birthday and will be cruising in 14 days. Glad to hear you are happy with this camera. My husband did a lot of research and felt this was the best digital camera to go with. We bought an extra 256 mb , so with 2 of them that should be enough to hold my pictures for my cruise. When I used our 35 m camera I took 25 rolls on our last 2 week vacation. LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES.

Looking forward to using my new digital camera . Being able to go back and see what pictures were taken will save on taking duplicates for sure. I always take pictures of the whole ship, almost top to bottom, love to look at afterwards.
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
CRC

One more vote for the Canon A70. Have one at work, one at home. Great pictures, video not bad either. Use 512MB flashcards and rechargable AA batteries. Easy to carry and shoot.

On a 10 day Panama canal with both of us with a camera, we went through 1.5GB of memory. Two CDs backed us up coming off the ship and we still had a couple of 256MBs laying around.
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Julie Pirro

My husband and I just bought a 5.0 megapixel Sony Digital (P-92 Model) at Wal-mart for onlye $234.00 . We also bought an extra 128 MB Memory stick for $48.25 (with tax included) at a Sam's Club. I was told by a techie friend that it's a great camera.
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:00 PM
montanagrl

Two years ago I purchase my first digital camera and it was an Olympus D550. Having never used a digital camera and going to Germany, this camera was terrific. It was easy to use, and the quality of the pictures were great. You can decide what setting you want and that will determine just how many pictures you will get on the memory card. I have purchase a couple extra cards so I am able to shoot the higher resolution pictures. With the 256MB cards you can put as many as 1330 pictures on one card. The resolution will be set at the lowest setting on the normal range. You can set it on the highest resolution with 1984x1488 and still get 173 pictures. Depending on whether or not you will be printing and enlarging any of them will depend on the settings you will want to use. This camera is a 3.0 megapixel with a 2.8 zoom and a 10x optical & digital zoom. It is compatible with most operating systems and was easy to install. It also has a USB auto-connect cable.
Knowing what I know now compared to what I knew then, I have no regrets. My next camera hopefully will be one that I can have interchangable lenses. That the only thing I kinda wish I had currently.
One suggestion.... be sure to actually pick up the camera and hold it to be sure that your fingers do not cover any part of the len when shooting pictures and that it is comfortable to handle. The cameras are so small now that our fingers can get in the way.
I also agree with the previous postings regarding purchasing rechargable batteries. Having the display on really eats AA batteries......

Happy photo taking..............
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Canon A80 digital camera

Hi I have the Canon Powershot A70, and also have a NiHM (sp?) recharegable battery which came w/ a portable DVD playerI got. Will this recharge an A70 too? (I know the A80 is a newer model, so it may only work on that) Thanks, Griffen
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Also - does anyone know If I can download pics to a CD on the Radiance of the Seas? I know some ships offer this. I only have a 128 MB card. Thanks, Griffen
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Familiar Face

I prefer Canon's A series. They have great optics and easy controls. What is very important to me is that the camera use AA batteries instead of a proprietary battery. By using AA rechargables, if I am ever out on an excursion and the batteries run dry, I can just pop into almost any store and pick up AAs and be back in business. I currently use a Canon A20 (Obsolete now) but I am purchasing a new Canon A75 before my cruise in July. For a review of the A75, click: http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/cano...5-reviews.html

Post Edited (04-25-04 10:29)
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Erin_Cruisers

Cindy's original post was Mar 27/04 so I'd guess the camera's been purchased by now, but my $.02 anyway...
After a bit of research, I settled on a Kodak DX6490 (main camera), a 6230 (wife) and 6200 (young daughter),. As well, my son's girlfriend already had a 6230 of her own. Now the benefit of going all Kodak is that they are very user-friendly, and all have the 'Share' button, which is unique. As well, we bought two printer docks, and 1 camera dock. These are also exclusive to the Kodak cameras. The advantage is they print on special 4x6" paper directly from the camera, and, recharge the batteries. Not only that but the printer dock connects to the computer for uploads/downloads, and the TV for putting on slide shows. Very cool!
So you see, in our case, it is a whole system that we all enjoy and share.

My second choice for a digital camera would have been the Olympus 4MP model with the sliding lens cover. It is also 'water resistant' and I thought about this when I was planning my cruise.

Old April 25th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Passenger

No it hasn't been purchased yet! We went looking today and can't decide between the canon A75 or Olympus 3.2 with 10x optical/3x digital zoom. the canon is about $50 less, so that is the one that my dh is wanting. The olympus has great zoom. Not sure which way we will go. It takes us a long time to make a purchase.
Old April 26th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Familiar Face

I assume that you are referring to the Olympus D560. Both the Olympus D560 and the Canon A75 are excellant choices, in my opinion.

However, ignore digital zoom in any camera. Only optical zoom counts. Digital zoom is simply an enlargement of the image, which can be done on the PC. It is mostly a marketing gimick to make the zoom seem greater.

Both cameras have 3X Optical zoom.
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Newbycruisey

Default Re: Re: Re: digital camera

By your statement, can I assume that there are facilities to off load the data from memory sticks onto CD without taking our own laptops?

Thank you in advance............
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:51 PM
Passenger

I take photos semi-professionaly (right now using a Sony F828, retails around $ 1,000).
It's an 8 MP camera, uses Compact Flash or Memory stick. It's a bit overkill for vacation shots, but they are a beut

For any consumer camera (I've used a ton), I recommend the Sonys. I have used 4 Sonys, 1 HP, and a couple hundred other cameras (film and digital). I have never had a problem with sony cameras, and almost all of the camera come with battery and charger, so you can charge it over night.

as for storage, if you are only bringing a 128 mem card, you won't fit alot on there, but you don't want to spend $500 on a 1 gig card (compact flash or ibm microdrive). They make these things for photographers called digital wallets, where you stick your memory card in and press copy, and it moves all the files onto a hard drive, which you can stick on your computer (or kodak photostation) later. they run from 89 to 1000, but are worth it IMO if you don't want to spend a fortune on easily broken (especailly SD) memory cards
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Passenger

I just got my camera today. It's a canon A75 from wolf camera. so far i'm very happy with it. it's very easy to use and wolf camera also offers classes. I think i'm going to like going digital.

cindy
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: digital camera

Yes and no. The computers are typically locked up with access to only the screen and keyboard. However, on one cruise that I was on, I noticed that a man had befriended the internet room manager who would unlock the box for him and him alone. Maybe he gave him a big tip?
----
Re: ... can I assume that there are facilities to off load the data from memory sticks onto CD without taking our own laptops?