Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Default Can/New England Cruise in Sept?

Ok - RCI sailing Sept. 11th to 18th/04. Since this is earlier in the fall thought maybe the weather might be warmer - any suggestions re: something I ought to know - like bring gloves? or maybe shorts?? Planning on a rain jacket with hood and a sweater plus stole for the dining room but do I need warmer weather stuff also. 'Doing' Halifax, St Johns, Sydney, Portland, Bar Harbour & of course Boston. As we are spending time in Boston as well as south of there any suggestions re: weather & dressing? Thanks in advance & happy cruisin'!
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Can/New England Cruise in Sept?

Would think that it might get chilly at night as you go north. Live on Long Island and as a general rule don't wear shorts in the evening in Sept. Don't think gloves will be necessary, but pants will be once the sun goes down.

Carnival Glory
Old April 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Sue Sue

I do believe you will need a wind barrier of some sort espcially at nigt. ie; Gortex. If you pack layers and a windbreaker you should be OK. My parents are sailing to Nova Scotia in Ocotober and I have urged them to especially consider head cover and the wind.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Can/New England Cruise in Sept?

Many thanks - good advice & well recvd. Happy cruisin'!
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Went on that cruise Labor Day weekend (out of New York). New York was hot but only one sunny day on the cruise. Lots of rain but still beautiful and a wonderful cruise. My shorts stayed in my suitcase - wore nice sweatpants and top on the ship and pants, long sleeve shirt and jacket ashore. I would even bring an umbrella if I did it again - which I definitely would - loved every minute!

Westerdam
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

pack your shorts by all means, but make sure you have pants, a sweatshirt, or sweater, rain gear, and good walking sneakers(especially in Boston). September can be be very warm and sunny or cool and breezy, gotta love our New England!
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:58 AM
First Mate

Right on - I am really excited about our cruise and especially the travelling in New England. Really appreciate u all taking the time to reply. - the advice will, I am sure, prove invaluable. Happy cruisin'!
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Admiral

I agree with all of the above. Bring one shorts outfit, a capri outfit and the rest slacks. Mornings tend to be cool but the days usually warm up. A windbreaker, turtlenecks and sweatshirts are really good advice. A cap or bucket hat may work out well if you have it to shed off any rain drops, also pack an umbrella (just in case). Temperatures can range from 40 to 80 degrees in the same day, so be prepared in New England.
Bon Voyage
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Passenger

I'm from Salem (20 miles north of Boston). Definitely bring the shorts, windbreaker for nights, just in case, and some long pants. September still brings some nice warm weather here. Have fun!
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hello, As a lifelong "New Englander" I know the weather here is changeable. Hot one day and cold the next. My suggestion would be to bring summer wear and some slacks. A sweater or light jacket. A rain coat might be a wise choice or at least an umbrella. Oh yeah, very important!!! Do not forget the camera!! the foliage here is spectacular in the fall. Have a great cruise.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 12th, 2004, 04:30 AM
First Mate

Wonderful advice so very helpful - I really appreciate all the replies. Just luv this site - we are so fortunate to be able to pass along all this great info. Remember what it was like when we didn't have it? Happy cruisin' all!!
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

CruiseCrazy... hope you enjoy your visit to my part of the world! I'm less than an hour from Bar Harbor but I'm originally from Portland. The advice you've gotten so far is very good. I'll just add this to it, it's always cooler on the water here. The days may be warm and sunny or rainy in September but it's always cool on the water. This will be especially true for anyone who is accustomed to warmer weather. They will find our weather cool even when we feel it's warm. (For instance, in my family it's not too cold for outdoor fun until it hits NEGATIVE 35*F, so I feel very warm at 60*F!) Bring t-shirts but also carry something long sleeved, like a jacket, pullover or sweater. Knowing the ports you'll be in, I suggest good supportive sneakers for walking. Most of them are situated on hills and you'll be doing some walking to get around.

Email me for ideas/suggestions for things to do in Portland/Bar Harbor if you want! Have fun.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:09 AM
First Mate

Hi MaineCruiser - great advice and something not mentioned usually - cool on water - -appreciate u taking the time to help. I wld like to hear about Bar Harbor & Portland - anything will help. Please consider posting here as I am sure there are others who could benefit also.. Thanks in advance & happy cruisin'!!
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:01 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Should I assume it will be quite a bit cooler in early October? I plan to bring my winter coat, but being from Colorado, I can handle it!
Cold schmold, I will enjoy the cruise no matter what!

I will be going to Portland also, so yes, please share some "must-sees" and maybe some great lunch spots.

Thanks!

~Carey