Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Passenger

Default Snorkel Gear?

What do you reccommend bringing your own snorkel gear or renting? I'm kind of grossed out at the thought of renting, but we're getting mixed advice so far, some say rent it's fine and others say bring. We'll be snorkeling at stingray city and xel-ha.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gina

Voyager of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Snorkel Gear?

Gina, Are you taking a tour where snorkeling gear will be included in the price? The gear is usually decent, and you can bring some disinfectant spray to use on the snorkel. Plenty of water around for rinsing. ; )

Do you already own your own gear? If you have your own, I would at least bring your mask and snorkel. Not so much for the "gross" factor as for the fit factor, although usually the rental gear will work fine.

Another idea is to borrow from someone at home that you know.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Passenger

I would bring my own snorkel gear. They do clean snorkel gear between customers but it is only "dipped" in water with a disenfectant and then rinsed. Not very good from a public health stand point. We always bring our own. The fins take up the most space but I always fit them in the outside storage area on my suitcase.
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Passenger

The stingray city tour comes with gear included, the xel-ha doesn't. We are a family of five and will never use it living in New York, so I'm leaning toward the renting option to avoid purchasing and using packing space.
What type of spray disinfectant could i bring that would be good for that? traveling with a giant can of lysol would be a little inconvenient not to mention ingesting it isn't the best. I'm sure there is something out there that is just not coming to mind.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you again,
Gina

Voyager of the Seas
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Admiral

consider renting your gear onboard for the week. The gear they have on the ship seems to be in better condition than some of the stuff you might get on an excursion. We were able to rent gear on the Golden for $25 for 5 days. If you rent on the ship, simply wash your mask and snorkel in warm water & soap. That's all it needs. If you rent from the tour operator all you need to do is wash your snorkel out in the salt water. Salt water is a natural dissenfectant. You can bring some alcohol wipes if you feel the need but that will leave a bad taste on the snorkel.