Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
KrazyK

Default casual dining attire

This will be my first time cruising. I have a question about the "dress code". My husband probably will only be seen in a suit for his funeral. He does have a sports jacket, dress pants & tie for the formal night (if we even make it), but I was wondering about casual dining. We are going on the Legend & I am wondering if he can wear dockers or even jeans to one of the "informal" dining rooms (if that even exists). If so, does anyone know where we should eat that doesn't require "dressing up"?? I just don't want to get stuck eating at a buffet area every night. What about breakfast & lunch, can you wear shorts?? Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: casual dining attire

Hi KK,
Yes, your DH can wear dockers and a polo type shirt to the "casual" evening for dinner, no jeans though...I do hope you go to the dining room for dinner on the formal nights, they are really very special and you don't want to miss that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM
KrazyK

Thanks Donna~~ I think I should be fine.
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Donna beat me to it. Her advise is sound. We always eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet and shorts are perfectably acceptable there.

One piece of advise however, jeans in the Caribbean are extremely hot. Might be better to leave most of them home and go with the dockers. Would be much more comfortable.

Carnival Glory
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Admiral

totally agree with all posts.
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Krazy K --

You know your DH better than anyone, but I give this advice for what it's worth. Pack his suit in your bags. When he sees how dressed everyone else is, he may be sorry he didn't bring it, then you can surprise him.

A shirt & dockers will be fine for him for everything else. If he insists on jeans or shorts you may be relegated to the buffet every night.
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM
KrazyK

Thanks for the info. I am going to bring his suit. It will be nice getting a family photo taken when we are all dressed up.
Old April 10th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband didn't even own a suit for our first cruise on the Explorer of the Seas.

When I saw how nice everyone looked on formal night, he went out and bought a nice black suit. We added a tuxedo shirt and a bow tie and cuff links and he looks fabulous in his mock-tuxedo.

He can wear the pants another night to the informal dinners and the jacket with casual slacks.

He now does the tux thing on the Captain's dinners night and then the same black suit with a white shirt and dressy tie and cuff links for the other night.

Guess what, he now loves cuff links and has a couple of pairs.

On our last cruise we were invited to sit at the Captain's table with the Hotel Manager. I'm so glad he had his mock tuxedo outfit.

We are no longer stressed out about packing.