Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Passenger

Default Jeans in the dining room RCCL

Okay, let me first say I don't want a fight started here. I know this is a sensitive subject. I'm just wondering where does it say that jeans are not allowed in the dining room on RCCL? I have heard this but can't find it in writing. I want to follow all the rules and so does my husband, but he wants his jeans if he can wear them. If I can find it in writing, he'll be wearing his dockers otherwise it will be nice black jeans.

Thanks!

Stefanie

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Jeans in the dining room RCCL

Somewhere in your documents, probably in a section labled suggested dress it says no jeans or shorts in dining room for DINNER. DH can wear them anywhere else he wants . Why he would want to wear hot, black jeans in the tropics . . . . well, that's up to him.
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Admiral

If your husband will dress as he would to dine in a 4 star restaurant for dinner, he'll be fine.....I suspect that precludes jeans.

Have a wonderful cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Admiral

I don't believe that I have seen anything in RCI documents jeans in the dining room. Anyway, I could care less about what other people wear.
Old April 10th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Passenger

I have read my cruise documents and it says nothing about no jeans at dinner. To my husband jeans are no hotter than slacks, just more comfortable. We live in Texas, so we're used to very hot weather. Actually the dining room is pretty chilly so I doubt he will be hot in his jeans or slacks, but I will be freezing in my sundress!!

Old April 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is what I found on RCCL's web site:

What are the dress codes onboard?
There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.
5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.
7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.
10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.
14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Based upon the fact that it does not mention jeans, I read the guidelines to mean they are prohibited from the main dining room. You & RCCL may have a different interpretation.

I agree you will freeze in the dining room in a sun dress; I always had a sweater on inside.

Have fun.
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:41 AM
First Mate

I wonder why black jeans if clean are prohibited from the dining room even on casual nites - I suppose it is because, if they relax it for any color then someone will say 'why not blue too' and then another will say 'why not cutoffs 'cause they aren't short shorts' & then someone will say 'yah but I have nice legs so why can't I wear shorts' then - well u get the idea right? Even nudity isn't out of the question either at that rate... Don't get me wrong, I actually don't care if they are worn (although I want them clean), that said, rules are for uniformity and the majority obviously don't want them worn or it wld be changed and maybe someday it will be. In the meantime, no jeans in the dining room on most major cruiselines but welcome anywhere else..Happy cruisin'!
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Admiral

i suppose its all up to interpertation if it specifically doesn't state "no jeans allowed in the dining rooms during dinner hours" My guesss would be that RCCL assumes that most passengers realize that the main dining rooms are equivalent to a 3or 4-star restaurant on the mainland and that most people would not wear jeans(no matter how clean, neat & pressed they are) to a 3or4-star restaurant back home. But that's just mho
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:57 AM
First Mate

Hi LisaK - wish I could agree with u,unfortunately, I have seen jeans in 3-4 & even 5 star restaurants so expecting people to 'understand' they aren't to wear them is not going to work. Really, if they are clean what does it really matter as long as u can wear what u look and feel good in? By the way I am 60 yrs old and luv to dress up (hubby does too - yah right - but he's scared of me and always does to) and I wouldn't ever even consider wearing jeans on a cruise to dinner or anywhere for that matter.. I am not so rigid though that I can't understand that others wish to. Let's hope, however, they will confine it to clean, untorn ones but of course, they won't - ah well look the other way and then 'trip' 'em on your way out - giggle - just kiddin'! Happy cruisin'!!
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
clo

My husband and I used to work for a major jeans manufacturer so you can imagine what work attire was! If someone came to work in a suit, people would say, "do you have a job interview?" I felt that for important meetings, job interviews, etc., I wanted to respect the process and therefore bumped it up (at least) a notch. I feel the same for fine dining. If you're going out to a wonderful restaurant with beautiful flowers and lighting and all the rest, why would you want to wear the same type of clothes that you wear to the local pizza parlor? And what I wear contributes to the ambiance, whatever that might be. We're retired now and moved from the big city to a smallish town with a more rural "tone." It's becoming less so all the time, but I still will see a woman dressed in her Sunday finery and the man in jeans. To my eye, it's incongruous at best. Several brands now make a Docker-type pant in a microfiber. They keep their shape, don't wrinkle, launder beautifully and are very cool. Costco frequently has them at a VERY modest price. Your husband could have a single pair in navy or black. They take up little room in the suitcase and, once on board, if he felt that he wanted to spiff up a little, he'd be in fine shape. With a pair of shiny loafers - again Costco has them for under $20 - and a nice shirt (microfiber?) or two, he'd be set. I hate gender stereotyping, but overall I think that men like to "fit in" dress-wise. My husband would probably be embarassed if he showed up either too over or under dressed. So for me it wouldn't be just a question of what is "allowed" but what is appropriate. Having said all of that, DO know that I grew up in the South in the hat and gloves era so I may have a too finely tuned sense of appropriateness What he wears, I hope you have a GREAT time!
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone (and thanks for no fighting and rude remarks). We're still new to cruising with this being only our second cruise and we aren't upper class enough to have been to and 3-5 star restaurants so we would have no clue what to wear. I think I'd feel to out of place to go to one.

Dh's real complant about slacks is that he has a bigger belly and no butt and little bird legs, lol, so to fit him in the waist, the butt and legs are really baggy and they do look funny. With jeans you can get the slim fit that are tighter in the legs and butt. Does anyone know if they make slacks that way and if so where can I buy them? At least with his suit, the coat covers part of the baggyness. He definitely doesn't want to feel out of place and really doesn't complain about dressing up.

If anyone knows where I can get "slim-fit" slacks or Dockers, please let me know asap. I'm running low on time! Otherwise I guess he'll just be Mr. Droopy Pants!

Old April 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Stefanie, my only suggestion would be to go to a men's clothing store, buy a nice pair of casual/nice dressier pants and have them altered.
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:02 AM
clo

What's really fashionable now for men and women are flat front/non-pleated pants. That may be more flattering. As Lisa said, altering can be done in a matter of a couple of hours at some places, i.e., The Men's Warehouse. Good luck.
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM
clo

I just had a thought. Why not just call RCCL and ask them? I realized that I had my own question and why was I asking advice/opinions rather than just going to the source. If they say no jeans, well, that takes care of that.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:09 AM
rockulax

Wear what you want and feel comfortable in. On our cruise in Dec people had on jeans in the dining room, and that was fine. I can not believe others would be so worried about what type of pants another is wearing. Who is to judge another?????? As long as you are modest in your dress, and clean, how can another be offended?

Worry about more important matters, not how another is dressed!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the cruise, and don't be so shallow.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Admiral

rockulax, you missed the question. We are talking about a stated policy of "no jeans in the dining room" that's all --no judgement being made except on your part of accusing us of being shallow.
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:53 PM
rockulax

Lisa, I apologize for accusing people of being shallow, just after reading so many other things about how people should dress I was offended. I have been on a bunch of cruises and I know people dress a variety of ways. We are cruising with first time cruisers this month and they are thinking of purchasing whole new wardrobes because of the comments on some of these "fashion opinion boards" I just want people to be comfortable with what they have and not feel the preasure to please others with their clothing choices....sorry for the accusation.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Jeans in the dining room RCCL

Hi rockulax - nice of u to clarify in a more gentle fashion that some on this board. I do take a bit of exception to your comments in effect about wearing what u feel OK in. I wonder if u have considered if everyone starting changing rules to suit what they want to do - yah I know 'no jeans in the dining room' isn't major but it is a rule and meant to give people guidelines to follow. Consider turning left at a 'no left turn' sign, having garbage dumped on your lawn, spraying people with water as they walk past your house, having a stranger push u down a flt of stairs, drinking and then driving - and OH GOSH someone coming to the dining room in a topless outfit (saw one outfit that was sooo close it was scary)? Could happen right - wld u approve of those doing what makes them comfortable then and how about completely nude - why not?? Drastic but I do make a good point don't u think? Rules can't be altered to suit the individual - they are made for the many...and for good reason even if they seem silly to u. Happy cruisin'!
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I don't know maybe its just me, but don't most people have at least one or two outfits in their wardrobe that are their dressy clothes - you know ---for men- the obligatory - wedding, funeral, reunion or anniversary party suit. For women - don't most of us have at the very least a dressy cocktail dress or a dressy wedding outfit. That's fine for formal nights on a cruise, pack them in your suitcase and you are good to go.