CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   What to pack on your carry on? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/294339-what-pack-your-carry.html)

kmsolo April 27th, 2004 01:15 PM

What to pack on your carry on?

This website is amazing, and I have learned so much that will help me with my 1st cruise. I was hoping someone could still help me with the carry on bag issue. I will be arriving at the airport a day in advance, so I was not planning on having a carry on bag, do I still need one for the ship? What do I put in this bag? Any suggestions, tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

trish1c April 27th, 2004 03:01 PM

Re: What to pack on your carry on?

You should have a carry on for the ship b/c you don't know when your luggage will be delivered to your cabin.

In the bag put:

medicine
valuables / jewelry / camera etc.
travel docs
bathing suit, cover up, foot wear & sun screen
something to wear to dinner if it's different from what you will wear to board
something to read / do -- although you can go to the ship's library

Carey April 27th, 2004 05:28 PM

And it usually takes about how long for your luggage to be delivered? 2-3 hours?
Can you, if you want, take it on yourself?
I get very protective over my luggage :)

clo April 27th, 2004 06:28 PM

I get very protective over my luggage :)

I had to smile over that line. On HAL at least, the final night you have to leave your bags outside your room before you go to bed. They get picked up by the staff and organized for disembarkation. THAT was a little disconcerting the first time :)

Carey April 27th, 2004 07:44 PM

Re: Re: What to pack on your carry on?

I may have to bring some anti-anxiety medication before I can do that :)

Thanks for the warning!

Tweety April 28th, 2004 12:40 AM

If for no other reason, you will need a carry off for debarkation. After you have had your anxiety attack over leaving your luggage outside your cabin the last nite, you will need something to carry off the things you will need for that last nite. Toiletries, niteclothes etc.

td April 28th, 2004 07:40 AM

I do not believe you can carry on your own luggage above a certain size. If it's a real issue to you, pack well & get it all in a carry on. I once went on a 2 week trip that included 3 job interviews, 1 formal night (ball gown required) & general sight seeing but managed to get everything in a garment bag.

I forgot about the last night too. You must put your bags in the hallway by a certain time the last night. You will need toiletries, clean underwear & something to wear the next day.

steph_texas April 28th, 2004 11:17 PM

I am not crazy about this aspect of the trip @ all... Carnival tells me 95% of the time there is NO PROBLEM... what about the other 5% ? I am one of those people who like to be in control of my property... not accusing anyone of anything... but Id rather not tempt it !! Oh well, if they lose our bags... that will be us in the dining room with our swimsuits on (kidding) cause after all the other NECESSITIES, thats all that will fit in our carry ons...

LisaK April 29th, 2004 09:51 AM

Being a "veteran" cruiser i don't stress over this kind of stuff anymore. I bring one carry-n that has all the basic daily toiletry essentials and medications. The second carry-on is a backpack that i put the camera, walkman, book or magazine, bathing suit,/with t-shirt(cover-up) change of undies a clean shirt for dinner and a pair of pants if i wear shorts to board the ship.
When it comes to luggage handling - getting in the day before is a huge advantage. As long as your luggage is tagged properly - when you hand it over to the porters at the pier, it will get on the ship and it will get to your cabin.

kmsolo April 29th, 2004 11:12 AM

Thanks for the advice, I guess I do need to get that small matching bag that I choose not to buy with the rest of my luggage. I'm not comlaining, more shopping is better for the psyche! But if I am going to leave my luggage out over night, I need some suggestions for luggage locks, the ones I have now I can break with my own hands... any suggestions on which ones work the best?

LisaK April 29th, 2004 12:30 PM

kmsolo- wire or cable ties work the best for securing your luggage. If you use conventional luggage locks, you would have to unlock your bags at the cruise terminal, before your flight home, with the new airline regs they could decide to cut your locks off and inspect your baggage which leaves you with worthless locks. The cable tie work great. Bring extra.

kmsolo April 29th, 2004 04:31 PM

never thought of that... great idea, just one question, I know the security is pretty tight (or still is where I am flying out of) and they don't allow any form of scissors or nail clippers in your purse when you are flying. So if your baggage is tied and you don't have scissors, how do you get in? It probably is a stupid question, but I am new at this- thanks.

Laurie M April 29th, 2004 07:54 PM

Re: Re: What to pack on your carry on?

My thought would be to put a pair of scissors in one of the outside pockets of your checked bag.

clo April 30th, 2004 08:29 AM

If you go to TSA.gov, you can find a list of prohibitted items. Nail clippers are fine now in carryon bags. I was surprised to see scissors allowed also, but they have to be either plastic or with rounded tips on the blades if metal. Hope this helps.

LisaK April 30th, 2004 10:14 AM

forget the scissors, a small pocket knife, packed in an outer compartment of your checked baggage is all you need.