Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Cruise Lover from FL

Default Jeans in dining room

We just returned from the Mariner of the Seas at the end of Feb. (RCCL) We are from FL and our lifestyle is very casual. We did not dress as "formal" as they suggest and nothing was ever said to us. You will see people dressed all ways in such a large group of people. The first formal night our 4 men wore jackets,on the second they did not.
I do not feel like we necessarily dressed "smart casual" on those nights. My son may have worn jeans one night, I can't remember but I do not believe anything would have been said to him if he had.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Jeans in dining room

I was just coming on to ask a question about this...I know sometimes "boys" (meaning younger men) tend to get away with more in the fashion department then women do
On the non-formal nights, is it "acceptable" to wear jeans in the dining room? We will be sailing in October, so I was thinking jeans and a sweater would be my attire most of the time except on the formal nights. Woo hoo, finally get to wear a nice dress!

Thanks for any advice - I would hate to have a fashion faux pas on my first cruise!

~Carey

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Admiral

You see everything in the dining room and you probably won't have anything said to you because most cruiselines don't choose to enforce their own policies, but jeans are not appropriate in the dining room.

Think 4-5 star restaurant on land - what would you wear?

I am still fascinated by the constant jean debate because I can't grasp why anyone would want to wear JEANS in the Caribbean. My jeans go into my closet once it hits 80 and don't come out again until fall.

My northern husband laughs at what he calls my "southern heat defense plan." I wear cool, light clothes in the summer, drink water constantly and can *always* find the piece of shade to stand in no matter where we go! No mint juleps on the veranda, though......

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:00 PM
First Mate

Jeans in the Caribbean would be torture, however we are leave from NY, going up to eastern Canada....Hmm...this really causes a packing dilema.
Anyone on cooler weather cruises have dining room attire suggestions or observations?

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:08 PM
First Mate

When folks do Alaska and other cooler destinations, jeans are very acceptable. But in the main dining room, jean are frowned apon. I'm sure people have heard of dockers/khaki's. I just can't understand why so many people don't want to dress nice. A cruise is a special event, why not dress up and feel special! After28 cruises, we still get butterflies in our stomaches when we are close to a cruise!
Think about it.
Sea Angel
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM
First Mate

It is clearly stated - NO JEANS in the Dining Room any time or any place...doesn't matter that the cruiselines just let some folks 'do' (u are fortunate they don't single u out - wld be embarrasing wldn't it?)- the rules state NO and I and many others don't appreciate them!!! All said and done however, there will be those of u that are kind of - to put it nicely - doing your own thing! Let's hope this doesn't extend further and so I have a question for all of u though that might put the debate into prespective - Do u consider 'peeing' in the street alright or turning left when the sign says no left turn, sitting in a restaurant then the sign says WAIT TO BE SEATED, people dumping garbage onto your front lawn...etc. Rules are made for a reason even if u don't agree with the reason.....I think u get my drift - I do hope so!!!!
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Admiral

am I correct in thinking for the 1st night they (jeans/shorts) are acceptable as not everyone may have their baggage in time ? I thought I saw that somewhere....
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Jeans in dining room

Actually I was hoping I would get this answer... I LOVE to dress up, my friend hates it and whines everytime I ask her to, but now that I can tell her there is a "rule", maybe it will make her go out and at least buy some nice pants or something.

Still working on getting her in a cocktail dress for the formal nights

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:56 AM
First Mate

Hi steph texas - NO not even if u haven't gotten your luggage and wore shorts or jeans to board the ship..(I agree that perhaps some cruiselines will allow it just by saying or doing nothing to u but it is 'frowned' upon) That is one reason the cruise ships have a 'cafe' type of dining and also if people don't want to dress up or do want to wear jeans. The dining room is for certain codes of dress and it doesn't include jeans, shorts, T shirts or bare feet.. Hope this clarifies it. Happy cruisin'!
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

as the others have so eloquently stated. Jeans are fine for the cafes, and buffets but not for the main dining restaurants - these dining rooms are comparable to 4or 5 star restaurants back home, and jeans would not be acceptable. Men -- Trade in your jeans for a nice pair of cargo or docker's type pants and a nice jersey top and you can go into any of the restaurants on any ship on casual nights. Ladies - capris and a nice top , sundress w/nice top and sandals or dockers type pants with a nice jersey will get you into any restaurant on the ship on casual nights.
It really doesn't matter what time of year you travel when going to the Caribbean think lightweight and tropical when it comes to clothes.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Admiral

hmmm... Im gonna have to persue this matter further.. I know I was told this was the norm as some people dont have their luggage before dinner on the 1st night.... I will get to the bottom of it FROM SOMEONE WITH AUTHORITY TO ANSWER THE QUESTION....
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Admiral

that didnt sound right... I mean I will ask someone on board (cruise rep) I wasnt trying to be snotty... hope that didnt offend anyone (
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:41 AM
First Mate

Again I repeat - there are places to go to eat in shorts & jeans and it isn't the dining room. YES the cruise staff usually won't say anything 'cause they don't want to embarrass u but it is still frowned on and NOT appreciated by other paxs.So while they may allow it by saying nothing the rule still stands. Why can u not go to the 'cafe' or order from room service - many 'folks' do? Happy cruisin'!
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Admiral

steph - pack a change of clothes in your carry-on and its a non-issue. If i board the ship in shorts, i will throw in a pair of capris or pants & a pair of flat sandals and a jersey in my carry-on. Voila problem solved!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
First Mate

I dropped the ball on that one - thanks LisaK for great common sense answer-hope it helps the lady...reminds me of what to do on my next cruise to warm climes..Happy cruisin'!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Yes, Steph, either pack a change (I threw in a cute sundress) of clothes in your carry-on, OR just wear something a little nicer when you board the ship and you won't have to worry about when your luggage arrives. Ours didn't arrive until about 8 pm - after our early dinner seating.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
First Mate

On Princess, that lastest we ever got our luggage is 5:30 pm. (have sailed them 20 times)
Happy sailing,
sea angel

Voyager of the Seas!!!May 7,2005
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
clo

I have a travel "uniform" of sorts. I don't like to look like a bum on airplanes but also want to be comfortable. This would work well, I believe, for boarding the ship and being appropriately dressed for the first night's dinner just in case. I have several pairs of Lands End pants. They come in at least six colors. They have a flat front, elastic waist, tapered leg, small slits at the bottom. They're approx. 95% cotton knit and 5% spandex so they hold their shape great for long airplane trips. We're flying 24 hours to get to Rome (with a six hour layover in London) and then on to our cruise. I'll wear the black pair (I have several) with a black t-shirt and a Tencel shirt in a different color. I have some very soft slipon shoes. I'll feel comfortable going in to London for lunch so it would be appropriate for the ship's dining room. Once I get to my destination, I just pack away my uniform and wear it for the trip home. I know they come in a khaki color and I believe a pastel also. I've dressed this way for several years now on long, international flights and it seems to take care of my needs well. Hope this helps someone.
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Passenger

i don't get it with all this jeans in the dining room and shorts i for one enjoy dressing well i live in fl. and still will wear a collard shirt and nice slacks to a restaurant . and i don't mean mcdonalds just went to the rccl site and it is explained clearly as what is formal and what is smart casual as well as what is considered casual come on folks enjoy yourselves it's a cruise some may not do it again for a long time, as a close friend say's spoil yourself you deserve it happy cruising