Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:46 AM
YoungCruiser

Default Jeans-style pants?

I understand the no jeans policy in dining rooms, however, I plan to bring "jean-style" pants that are cut like jeans but are tan (khaki) coloured, I also own a blue coloured corduroy pants (jeans style). Are they deemed appropriate? Are they considered smart-casual?
BTW..I'll be on a HAL ship.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Jeans-style pants?

I think those style pants will be fine on a casual night.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
Admiral

sounds fine, cords might be a bit to hot and heavy for the Caribbean, just wear a nice polo type shirt and a nice pair of casual shoes(no sneakers) and you will be fine.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
ctipton

We had several family members young and old who wore colored jeans and khaki pants, nothing was ever said. We were on HAL Ryndam.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:50 PM
rockulax

wear what you want. Should we really be judging others????????? I feel that comfort and modest dress is acceptable all places. We should have respect for self and for others, and be modest and not judge another or cause another to stumble.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:31 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Jeans-style pants?

Rockulax - I quote u ' wear what u want ' - yah right!!!! How about topless and yes someone will eventually - they have a 'right' to don't they? Modest clothes - define plse - its different to everyone thats why the ships, restaurants etc have rules and have to spell it out for most folks...Judge not - ah come on - u are judged all the time - try a job interview for example...besides how does not wanting to sit with hairy legged people with smelly T shirts on for lunch, breakfast or dinner make me a 'judge'- I just don't like it OK...If they want to wear those things there is their own cabin to eat in, the Lido and elsewhere - stay out of our dining rooms please...!
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:11 AM
SLS

One of the problems I have with jeans is they are making them to look like they need washing. Yuck.

sls
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:41 AM
cp

"Rockulax - I quote u ' wear what u want ' - yah right!!!! How about topless and yes someone will eventually - they have a 'right' to don't they? Modest clothes - define plse - its different to everyone thats why the ships, restaurants etc have rules and have to spell it out for most folks...Judge not - ah come on - u are judged all the time - try a job interview for example...besides how does not wanting to sit with hairy legged people with smelly T shirts on for lunch, breakfast or dinner make me a 'judge'- I just don't like it OK...If they want to wear those things there is their own cabin to eat in, the Lido and elsewhere - stay out of our dining rooms please...!"

Cruisecrazy, Why are you so HOSTILE?

This is a dumb conversation, everytime I read about clothing it makes me laugh. Your analogies dont make sense. She is asking about a STYLE of clothing that sounds very reasonable to me so why do you care SO MUCH???

Wear what you want.. as long as its not JEANS, no one should care.. I have my own take on that but I think Id be totally flamed so Ill keep it in...

Yes modesty is relative but no one is talking about pasties here so what gives?

Stop caring what other people are wearing and just enjoy your cruise..

SHEEESSSHHHH!!!! : )
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:39 PM
rockulax

cruise crazy,

Wow!!!!!!! Unshaved legs, smelly T shirts, Where are you getting this stuff???? Should the men on the cruise shave their legs so you are not offended. If so much is so offensive to you, worry about you self (mind your own business), or stay home.

The cruise is not a job interview, it is a vacation and your negativity and search for the bad is very sad...accept the things you can not change....other people, change what you can ...your attitude.

Have a great day, the cup is half full!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

oh boy, here we go again. Ok everybody please take a deep breath and calm down.
This thread is going where we don't want it to and it was all based on a very good logical question that required a simple response.
Please use the "Gripe" section of this board if you feel the need to "vent"
Lets keep it civil, please. Thank- You.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:44 PM
clo

Thanks, Lisa. I won't even go to the gripes section anymore because it does seem to be the place for flaming. I agree that passengers should abide by the cruiselines requirements - or suggestions - even if they're not enforced. But I don't think there's any purpose served by the same two or three opinions being expressed over and over and over again. I believe that the people who ask the questions can make their own decision based upon one iteration of each. On HAL on formal nights - generally an older crowd - plenty of men wear tuxedos and dark suits, plenty wear jackets and ties, some wear jackets and no ties, a few shirts only. I've not seen anyone in the dining room for dinner in jeans or shorts. Maybe I didn't look; maybe they enforce that. I believe that posters here are sincerely looking for guidance in order to make informed decisions but not being belittled/browbeaten or bewildered