Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Default Clothing????

Hello Everyone!!!!!!

June 12th im going on the empress of the seas. First time cruiser!!!!
I live in NY when i go to work i have to dress up After work i change in to jeans or capris Cotton,jean,etc..

When i go on the cruise i dont know what to bring!!!! Clothes wise...

I am not looking forward to the dining room dinners. I wont be attending them, as i am going on vacation and vacation to me is not getting all glam its about getting the heck away from work, dressing up for work, and just enjoying myself. What do people wear throughout the cruise? And if i chooose not to go to the dining area for dinner are their other choices? Do alot of peole skip formal nights? I have read alot of boards on formal dresing and alot of people get defensive i was afraid to ask this on that board i didnt want people jumping down my throat because i wasnt getting dressed up lol
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Clothing????

No problemo dear - hope this helps. If u don't want to dress up simply go to the buffet each 'dressy' nite or and this can be very nice too, with or without a balcony cabin, how about room service? Lots of cruiselines are offering dining room food in cabins...tried it myself - great!!!! That said - dressing up can be very simple if u do want to experience formal nights - a long or short skirt or slacks and blouse or sweater set (adding nice jewellery is optional) and u will fit in well - gents - preferably dark suits,shirts & ties (sorry) for formal nites, otherwise casual nites are easy - just don't wear jeans, T-shirts or shorts in the d.r. You will see everything from very formal to a bit too casual but with the above u will fit in nicely. Please enjoy your cruise and post your experiences when u return - will be looking forward to it. Happy cruisin'
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dats2cute --

The "rules" apply to dinner in the dining room. If you are skipping that, dress neatly, but any way you want. IMHO, jeans & a cruise don't really go together, however. Opt for anything else & be comfortable.

My defensiveness only jumps in when people wrongly assert that because they plopped down $x thousand, the suggested dress code shouldn't have to apply to them. You are coming from a completely different place. There are plenty of alternative dining venues.

BTW, "formal" on a cruise ship is not necesarily equal to "Formal" in NYC. This isn't opening night or a $500 pp charity ball that's being photographed for the Times or Town & Country. You will see people dressed to the nines, but you'll see other perfectly acceptable clothes. If you can manage a sexy sundress, strappy sandals & great jewelry or a blue blazer over good slacks , if you are a man (I don't want to make assumptions based on your screen name), you should be deemed to have achived the bare minimum.

If this is your 1st cruise, my suggestion is that you pack the dressiest thing you could stomach putting on while vacationing. It might just be acceptable for formal night . That last statement is admittedly an East Coast prejudice.

Enjoy.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Admiral

hi 2 cute -
we r just back from our 1st cruise... we were on Carnival... not sure which line u r going with ! But, casual is the way to go... capris, sundresses, dockers for guys... it was very hot in port... we wore our swimsuits with cover ups all thru town... hubby & son had swimsuits with tshirts... we did see people in shorts in the dining room ! Several people actually... didnt seem to bother anyone ! I agree with you that a vacation is not about getting "decked out" ... its about relaxing.... casually.... have a great time... I missed our entire 2nd day as I was deathly sea sick... I recommend getting the patch or the very minimum the sea bands... I had minor side effects with the patch... dry mouth & blurry vision... but Id rather be blurry than the other alternative... I felt MUCH better after it kicked in !!

Have a great voyage !
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Steph -
I have to ask just b/c I am very worried about missing out on my vacation with sea sickness...have you normally gotten sea sick or motion sickness in the past?
I rarely do - only when I read maybe on an airplane or in a car.

Should I be concerned?! Eeek!

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:08 AM
trish1c

Carey --

24 hour non-drowsy dramanine worked great for me. We got it at Sam's Club.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:23 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Re: Clothing????

Okay great ....I have some of that and will take some Bonine as well and then hope for the best!

Thanks.

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can wear capri pants in the dining room for dinner every night, except perhaps the 2 formal nights. On those, if you have any skirt or dress on, you'll be just fine. People pretty much wear anything and everything, and only jeans & shorts are really taboo.

Old May 10th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Admiral

on a 7 day cruise you will have 2 formal nights and that's it. The rest of the nights the dress code is " casual nice" capris and a nice top, with flat sandals would be perfect. Don't miss out on the dining room experience because you think you have to get all glammed up every night. As for the formal nights - a long dark skirt with a dressy blouse, a dressy pantsuit or a nice cocktail dress would be just perfect.
Formal nights in the dining rooms are extra special, a lot of fun, an event actually.
Just think about it before you automatically dismiss the possibility.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Don't miss eating in the dining room. If you don't want to bring a dress or nice outfit for formal nights, then skip the formal nights, but I wouldn't suggest eating at the buffet the entire cruise.

Except for the formal nights, dress is "resort casual" the rest of the nights. The dining room experience is wonderful and not to be missed.

Enjoy your vacation.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Carey - yes I can get sick in a moving car @ the drop of a hat... I went on a dolphin dinner cruise in the Atlantic last year (off Cape May, NJ) and had no problems @ all....
so, I thought I could combat this time ! WRONG !!! The dramamine did nothing for me ! I simply "tossed" it up .... when u have a hard time keeping things down... I would opt for the patch or the bands (I havent tried the bands)

Good luck, hope u can avoid the woozies !!

Steph & guys
CELEBRATION 05/04