Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Passenger

Default Plug-in Cooler - Tacky or not?

I'm taking a 7 day cruise with my husband. I keep seeing postings about how tacky it is to bring a cooler on the ship and how rude it is to ask the cabin steward for ice. We have a cooler that can be plugged into a wall outlet or filled with ice to take to the beach. The dimensions are 16" L X 9" W X 12" H. It holds about 9 cans of soda or 6 bottles of water. When it is in the room, I can plug it into the wall so I won't have to bother the steward. To further add to the tackiness, I do plan on bringing a 12-pack of diet Dr. Pepper with me unless someone can assure me that it is available on Royal Caribbean ships.

Is it a bad idea to bring this cooler? If so, what do people use to bring drinks, etc. to the beach? We're planning on taking a few shore excursions but would like to spend a little time just relaxing on the beach. I've heard the beaches on Grand Cayman are gorgeous. Is there anywhere to buy ice on Cayman? If not, is it acceptable to ask the steward for ice that day if we provide reasonable compensation?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Plug-in Cooler - Tacky or not?

I saw quite a few people with coolers and no one said anything. I would bring it. So far I've cruised Carnival and Royal Carribean and neither one had Dr. Pepper.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:33 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

no diet d.p.
take your cooler!
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Passenger

kyriecat --

OT, but I love your user name. My cat's name is Kyrie, short for Valkyrie. Of course she get's called a few other choice names now and then.

Karyn

Grand Princess - Baltic July 2004
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Bastet,

Still off the topic - I have 3 cats, one of which is a long hair calico named Valkyrie. We also call her Kyrie (when she's good).

Rhapsody of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Admiral

You asked for opinions about it being tacky or not, well i look at it this way, would you go to a 4 star resort hotel for a week toting a picnic cooler???? that's a fairly large cooler, will it fit thru the security scanner? If not then you cannot bring it aboard as a carry-on. Coolers are a very grey issue when it comes to boarding it all depends upon the people checking you in, some will allow you to bring it aboard( if it fits) some not. Most folks pack for the beach in collapasible soft- side coolers that fit into their luggage or carry-ons. If you want to be totally sure you might want to put it with your checked baggage.

As for the ice issue, asking your room steward for ice is not tacky or rude or anything like that, its part of his/her job to service your needs. i would strongly advise against buying ice on any island, you don't know how pure the water is.
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Plug-in Cooler - Tacky or not?

Most lines will put a small fridge in your room for a couple of bucks extra a night (that is if your room does'nt already have one, more and more are putting in all levels of cabins).
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Passenger

LisaK's comments have led me to ask another question - how big are the security scanners for the ships? I have a roll-around bag that I have used as a carry-on for over a dozen flights (dimensions 15" W X 10"D X 22"H). I have never had any problems bringing it on. It fits through the airport scanners and in the overhead bins. I was planning on carrying this bag on the ship with me - I tend to bring a lot of photography equipment that I don't trust having out of my sight. Since Lisa does not think the cooler (16"X9"X12") will fit through the scanner, should I reconsider using my airline carry on bag? I can put my photography equipment in one bag and put personal items for the first day in a second bag. The bad thing with that is I like the convenience of the rolling bag.

I think I will bring a cooler in a checked bag. I have brought coolers into nice hotels in the past. My husband and I like to go on day hikes and usually bring a cooler with a picnic lunch and drinks when we are on vacation. We've brought the cooler with us most recently to the Broadmoor and Stanley hotels in Colorado and the Menger in San Antonio. I don't know if any of those counts as "4 star" but they are usually considered as upper class.

I have soft-sided coolers that are smaller but they are not self-cooling. The motor makes the plug-in one bigger than it's traditional counterparts. It's been 3 years since my last cruise and it sounds like things have changed since then. The stewards have more cabins to attend so it's more of a hardship on them to provide personalized attention, such as ice for a cooler. Admittedly, the steward is there to take care of needs, but I wouldn't want my special requests to prevent him/her from having time to adequately care for the other passengers. That was my reasoning behind bringing a cooler that doesn't need ice.
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Take the cooler ! We took a soft sided one on our voyage & our steward made sure every day we had lots of ice... when I told him we didnt need any on certain days... he'd ask if I was sure... it was no problem, etc... I am an AVID Dr Pepper person & I agree Mr Pibb is NOT the same - why do they try to pretend it is ? Who are they kidding ? I only took 12 bottles of DP and I felt that was in total moderation so it was no problem for anyone ! Next time, I will also take cokes for the guys as we bought them "soda cards" but the cokes were in cans & not out of a fountain.... that was a rip off in our opinion ! We could've bought alot of cokes for what those cards cost ! To each their own... but, TAKE THE COOLER !!!
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:29 AM
SLS

Carnival gives carry on sizes as 17x11 and it doesn't matter how long it is. I'm sure RCCL is similar so it will fit. It sounds like it's a fairly small cooler.

We bring coolers to nice hotels. They don't always have refridgerators in the rooms.

sls
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Admiral

the scanners on the ship are the same size as the ones in the airport. Your cooler might make it not totally sure, and as i said its up to the person checking security if they will allow you bring aboard the hardside cooler. Definatley bring the soft-sided one and don't worry that you might be asking "too much" of your cabin steward to bring you ice. If you get a really good steward, you won't even have to ask for the ice after a day or two he/she will automatically bring it to your cabin.

side note: this whole cooler "issue" reared its ugly head a few years ago when a certain select few cruise passengers tried to bring aboard those huge coolers that you see at the beach, tailgate parties and camping. The cruise lines said enough is enough, don't abuse the policy and clamped down on coolers.
Everything in moderation would have been just fine but....................
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM
sijid

The Broadmoor Hotel is a 5-star resort, and they don't care what you bring with you. For me the issue would be how much of a pain is it for me to lug a big cooler around. It seems like a small cooler or collapsible cooler would be fine.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Passenger

I think I may have to join the ranks of the smugglers. I sent my question to customer support at Royal Caribbean. Their reply is that food (with the exception of baby food) and drinks (inlcuding juices, sodas, liquors, and water) of any type are not permitted in passenger baggage. A small cooler is allowed, but it is not part of the steward's duties to provide ice for it. They also cannot verify what sodas are available onboard besides the standard bar mixers - coke, diet coke, and sprite. I don't think they want me onbarod for a week without at least one diet DP a day. So, please help - which is easier to get through the scanners, cans or plastic bottles? : )
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Kyrie -
I'd go with bottles... I've heard that when cans go through the scanners, it looks like a big blob making security curious ! And, a plus size to bottles... is you can tighten the lid & save some for later.... I agree with the DP issue !! Life is not fun for those around me until we find the DP stock on vacation.... Mr Pibb ? ewwwwww....

have a great time.... you smuggler.... lol !
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Asealady

No matter what kind of cooler you bring, its so tacky! We have so much to bring carrying our carry ons.You can't put out the extra 30 bucks for a soda card??? You must look like a bunch hicks going on the ship. It seems to be buying soda and liquor is part of the cruise pricing just like the tips are! How tacky!
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Heather&Scott

""Author: Asealady (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: 05-29-04 09:35

No matter what kind of cooler you bring, its so tacky! You must look like a bunch hicks going on the ship. It seems to be buying soda and liquor is part of the cruise pricing just like the tips are! How tacky!"

Asealady-->They paid for their cruise and deserve to enjoy it without stupid people like you calling them hicks just because of their choices. How about getting a life and allowing people to enjoy theirs! The world would be much better if it weren't for people like you who think they are perfect.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Asealady

Oh, Oh, You called me a name! CM staff should delete your post. Never said I was perfect.. I am stupid because I follow the rules. Who is really stupid here?

How about getting a life and allowing people to enjoy theirs

You wrote the above. Do you really think people will not enjoy their cruise, because I think they should follow the rules?? I find the term " getting a life" is when people do not know what else to say to make their point. I find that term very insulting. I have a very very full life!
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Asealady

And I never called anyone hicks. I said they must look like hicks. If you quote me, get it right!!!
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Heather&Scott

Hicks (look like hicks) pretty much the same, wouldn't you say?? Anyway, I don't have time for childish arguments. So have a nice day!
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Asealady

Well, why post in the first place? bye
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

the soft coolers with the handles- the 6 pack size.. dont they leak or sweat when ice is melting in them? would like to know, would be mess if they did.
To the people who are fighting on this thread there is a saying " opinions are like ... everybody has one"
you dont have to tell someone you dont agree with them especially when we are only
talking about coolers. It is not like we are at the Geniva Summit discussing world peace.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:50 PM
SLS

The soft sided coolers will leak if tipped over at the zipper part.

sls
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Admiral

asealady,

The point I tried to make in my post... I could buy a hundred soda cards and still NOT have Dr Pepper to drink ! This is my one vice in life... some people smoke, some people drink... all I want is my Dr Pepper ! And, I had the large soft sided cooler packed inside my suitcase... when we got to our room we aquired some ice & the rest is history ! The only people that even knew the cooler was there, were our family & our steward ! I will defend myself & say no... I didnt look like a hick ! And, if I did... well @ least I wouldnt look like a stuck up snob ! Its not a bad thing to NOT flaunt your successes in life ! Why rub someone elses nose in it ? Does being a snob or elitist make anyone better than anyone else ? I think NOT ! We all bleed red !

No, Im not calling you a snob or elitist... just making a comparison....

Do you understand my point on the soda cards now ?

Thanks,
Steph
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Asealady

Yes, I do, Steph.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Passenger

To all,

I did not mean to start any wars. Just for the record, I am from East Texas so by most people's standards, I am a hick. I have the Texas accent to prove it.

I plan on bringing the cooler (without ice) inside my luggage so if someone sees it and is offended, it is their own fault for searching my luggage.

Since Royal Caribbean does not stock Dr. Pepper, I asked them why I couldn't bring some with me. According to thier website, if they do not offer a liquor that someone wants, the passenger can bring it onboard and pay a corkage fee. I asked why couldn't I bring my soda and pay a "corkage" fee for it as well. The response was that I could pack some and if I could get it through the scanners without being confiscated, I could freely enjoy it onboard. Sound like their policy isn't too black and white. I'll see what happens.

I'm not trying to take any money from Royal Caribbean. I will still buy plenty of alcoholic beverages on the ship. I am only bringing aboard a soda that they don't have. If I can't drink my diet DP, I'll drink water, which (I think) is still free.

Enjoy y'all's cruisin'!
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Admiral

ahhh. tap water is free.... Bottled is NOT ! Take the cooler, its your vacation... why would you want to be missing your favorite beverage all week ? I know I personally couldnt... some like coffee first thing in the morning... after my eyes open (no matter what time of day) I pop open a DP !!!

Have a great trip !
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:11 AM
First Mate

Last year we bought soda cards on ccl for my husband and I and our 3 kids. With tax and tip, this came to over $125 for the 5 of us. This year I am considering getting a soda card for the children. ( This is easier for the kids to get their own sodas) WHen people say "you can't afford $30 for a soda card" they probably don't understand that families with teens need to watch how they spend money. I'd rather spend the money on a nice excursion than waste it on soda. I'll apoligize now to my fellow cruisers who will offended by my tacky behavior.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Ann, I dont think its a tacky thing... $125 can buy ALOT of soda stateside ! Do you really drink THAT much soda to justify that expense ? I think it is excessive too... I wish they would just include the sodas with the cost of the cruise... heck, for that matter... add it into the cost of the cruise & no one would be the wiser ! Especially for the under 18 crowd... they pay almost as much as adults... but they are not drinking coffee, let the kids have their drink of choice ! This still would not alleviate MY problem... unless of course the cruise lines broadened their selections !!! (GOTTA HAVE MY Dr Pepper)
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Admiral

people, people, let's just stick to the subject please! I think that the soft-sided cooler packed into the checked baggage is just fine and since the cruise lines don't carry your particular brand of soda i think that packing A FEW smaller bottles in your carry-on is just fine, just replenish your supply in each port and hope that security lets you bring your soda on board. Just remember everything in moderation is the key!
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:10 AM
cruisingrandma

As for the cooler. Wehn we go to the beaches there is usually someone there to gladly sell you a soft drink or bottled water on the beaches. I always figure.... i ahve enough to pack and remember in clothes and film and camera..... Dont need to worry about how to take my beverages to the beach. I take a folding back pack with me for excursions and take a bottle of water with me. Take a water bottle with u and fill it at breakfaast on the pool deck. Water comes out to drink along with the punch and lemonade also. On a cruise we took 2 yrs ago from New orleans. We saw so many people with cases of bottled water and soda and beer. Getting on the ship. Carrying all that stuff. This last crusie there was no one that i saw with all the cases like that other cruise. I figure its my vacation and i dont need to be carrying anything more then my clothes and camera and film.But hey!! That's jsut my opinion... My preference.... you do what ever u have to do to make your vacation good. Thats the name of the game. Happy cruising...