Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default What to pack?

My family and I are taking a cruise the end of June. Celebrity cruises...the Century. It is for my mother-in-laws 65th birthday so along with my husband, myself and our two girls will be my mother-in-law, father-in-law, sister in laws, brothers in law, and their kids!!! Now if we were taking a cruise alone dress wouldn't be a problem, but since my mother in law wants everyone together , every night, for 6:00 dinner in the dining room, for 7 nights, I'm at a loss as what to bring!!! Do we dress up every night? Are some of the dinners in the dining room formal (i.e. long dresses, tuxes etc.) and are they manditory? We are a very casual family, we live in Florida so most of our wardrobe consists of t-shirts and shorts. Does this cruise mean we need a whole new wardrobe? What about the kids how dressy do they need to get...they are 10 and 6.? I would welcome anyone with some REALISTIC advice. This is turning into more work than fun we only wanted to get away and relax. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: What to pack?

Hi, I would definately ask this on the Celebrity message boards. However I am sure there are 1 or 2 formal nights depending on the length of the cruise. I would say very nice pants like dressy capris would be appropriate with a nice blouse. Perhaps you can find 2 blouses for 1 pair of capris to cut down on cost if you must purchase some clothes. Absolutely no jeans or shorts. I like capris and skorts. But everyone is different. Definately get someones opinion who is familiar with the line. Have a blast!!! Stephanie
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Admiral

dr-dom: don't get scared or worried, scroll down this page aways until you come to a thread titled "Lets Educate not Berate" filled with lots of useful information.
Celebrity is a bit dressier than some of the other mainstream cruise lines but don't get all panicky. You will have 2 Formal Nights, 2 Semi-Formal ( i think) and the rest of the nights are "Resort/Country Club Casual" Its easier to tell you what's not acceptable in the main dining rooms during dinner - shorts, t-shirts, sneakers, flip-flops and jeans.
There is another thread under the "Ask CruiseMates Staff" board titled " No need to Fear Formal Nights" check it out.
Actually now is a great time to get some really good deals on prom dressess for the girls, and you. Check out sales in the major department stores, check out Bridal Salons for sales, look into Consignment shops or Thrift stores to pick up an inexpensive blazer for the boys, and don't forget Ebay for some great deals on special occassion dresses.
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: What to pack?

Thanks for the advice, I'll try not to panic!!!
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Also... borrow anything you can, like evening handbags and blazers for the boys. Check out Goodwill and thrift stores. For formal night think "Easter" for the kids... girls in spring dresses with patent leather shoes, boys in blazers with ties. For informal think "school pictures", skirts/dresses and chinos/shirt-no-tie.

On formal nights I wear either a full length gown or a long black skirt with a dressy top. On informal nights I wear either a "little black dress" or black pants (velvet, palazzo, or lace) and dressy top. On casual night I wear a sundress or summer outfit (co-ordinating top/bottom) with flat sandals.

I think Celebrity is a bit more "traditional" and that most people do follow the recommended dress at night. You don't have to spend a lot if you're creative and can find things to mix and match for multiple outfits. And remember... most of the time, less is more. Keep it simple, not flashy. A little black dress with strappy black heels and diamond studs (real or NOT) and you'll look and feel like a million bucks.