Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM
kk

Default clueless!!!

My first cruise is at the end of this month. We are departing from Galveston and traveling to Cozumel. I am extremely excited but I am also a bit nervous. I won't be going on the cruise with my parents. I am going with my best friend and her mom and dad. I am curious about what there is in store for us. My best friend and I are 15. Will there be parties that we can attend? If there are...what should I consider wearing? What other types of activities will be offered?
I am a little concerned about my packing situation. My mom has been throwing things at me right and left. She says I should overpack and then find out what to wear when I get there. The idea of waiting until I get there worries me a bit. I would like to have an idea of how many nice dresses and outfits to bring. I think I've got the casual wear and swimwear covered.
Any information about what things to expect when I get there would be greatly appreciated. Also, please throw any advice at me that might help me with my packing because I am CLUELESS and could certainly use your help!!!
Thank you so much!! I'm looking forward to this experience!!
-KK
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: clueless!!!

KK

If you're going on a 7 night cruise there will be two formal nights where you will need to wear either a nice dress or dressy pants outfit if you plan on eating in the dining room. On the other nights in the dining room, a skirt and top, dress, capris & top will do. My 15 y.o. took two formal dresses, black skirt, white skirt, mix & match tops, three pairs of shorts, three bathing suits, sneakers, flip-flops, sandals and dress sandals. If you don't eat in the dining room you can wear short and t-shirts. Hope this helps and have a great time!!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
kk

Thank you so much for your advise. You have been so helpful!!!
KK
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe I'm too anal but to avoid overpacking, I took a calendar and planned what I might wear every day. For example, in the morning blue t-shirt and jean shorts, swim suit, afternoon back to the top and shorts I wore before, dinner dress up and evening clothes because I wanted to be more casual again but needed something a little warmer in the dance club. I planned to wear everything at least twice, spaced out over the days. I still brought a couple blouses I never wore but I pretty much had everything covered.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Admiral

KK,

There will be plenty of activities in the teen area if you and your friend wish to meet other teens. There is teen disco time (and depending on the ship, perhaps an exclusive teen disco) and TONS of activities.

Nightly shows, games all day and, of course, the pool! Have a great time!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Admiral

when it comes to cruises, less is better. First thing, make a list of all your basic daily essential needs ( toothbrush, toothpaste,shampoo,deodorant etc) get those packed in your carry-on, next make a list of any prescription drugs you might be taking, pack those in your carry-on in their original marked containers, don't forget to pack some Tylenol or Advil whichever you use, bandaids,tampons or pads (if needed) hair products and sunscreen. Pack your MP3 , mini-disc or whatever player and your tunes in a backpack. Backpack comes in real handy for the beach.
As for clothes all you will need is a 2 or 3 pairs of shorts t-shirts and tanks i pack half and half, clean one for each day. 2 bathing suits with a cover-up. A good pair of walking sneakers, water sandals or flip-flops as the beach sand and the decks get hot. A good pair of sunglassess. Waterproof and disposable cameras.
For casual evening: capris w/ a nice top and flat sandals, a couple of nice sundressess or a couple of pair of nice pants with a nice top.
2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. - dressy party dress, dressy skirt & top,or dressy pants and a top, dressy sandals and some jewlery.

Its very important that your folks write a letter giving your friend's parents permission to take you on this cruise and to get medical help for you if needed. This letter need to be signed by both of them and notarized. You might not get on the ship without this letter.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Macy4444

Default Re: Re: clueless!!!

That was a really helpful post. Thanks!
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Jacqui

I have to stress LisaK's point about the notarized letter. It happened to a family friend of ours, who was going on vacation with a friend, but the father lived across the country. It was by chance that they accepted the notarized letter from the mom only, but they are very strict about this nowadays.
Have fun!!!
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Passenger

KK,
I work in the trvl industry and can tell you that when a minor{under 18yrs}goes to Mexico they do need a letter -signed by both parents and and must have it notarized. This is because it is very comman for a parent to "kidnapp" there own child,{due a custody battle or the like}go to Mexico and the other parent will never see them again.
I would ask your TA{if you used one}to find out excatly what info is need in the letter . If you didnt use a TA but our traveling by air to the port-call the airline and ask. IF they are a major carrier they should be able to help.

As for what to pack , I also make a list of what I might were each day. I try to bring clothes/shoes//etc.. that I can were more than once{without it being noticed}. I have found that jeans/shorts/slacks fit that bill. I then bring different blouses/shirts/t-shirts to mix and match. Hope this helps.
Have a great time.

MI5
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:36 AM
KK

yes...you all have been very helpful. You are all appreciated!!!
KK
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: clueless!!!

We are taking our two teenage daughters at the end of this month, they are taking mostly those "flirty" skirts w/ American Eagle t-shirts, a couple pair of shorts, 2 or 3 bathing suits and shoes out the kazoo! For formal nites, one is wearing a longer skirt she got at AE w/ a cute top and kitten heel thongs to match. On the other nite she has a short black skirt and top w/, again, matching shoes. They are taking dressy flip-flops, flowers, sequins, beads, on the thong part and a couple of kitten-heel ones for evening. I think they might be taking a pair of capri's as well. I am a strict believer in "less is better" and "mix & match". Have a GREAT time . . . what ship are you on?
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:04 PM
cowgirl

Hey! I am a senior in high school and getting ready to go on a cruise to the caribbean June 20. I am also pretty clueless since this is my 1st cruise. All the tips on this page are great ! If anyone has any other ones i'd appreciate them.