Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Default Sport Coat and Suit Coat

This is probably a stupid question - but is a sports coat and the coat of a suit the same thing? My husband has a suit - but we don't own just a jacket - when I went to the mall - all of the jackets were in the suit section... I am really confused!
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Sport Coat and Suit Coat

You can buy a regular men's suit with jacket and slacks. YOu can also just buy a sports jacket and wear other slacks. Hope that helps.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:39 PM

r suspenders good for teens on formal nite? i want my 17 year old son to wear them with his suit for the cruise. do u think its "nerd" or will look nice?
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Passenger

If the suspenders are the kind that button on the pants than I would say yes, if its the clip on ones maybe not . Than again I do belive in that famous line from ZZTOP-"every girls crazy about a sharp dressed man".. Take Tom Cruise for instance -he could wear a potato sack and I would still think he looks good,but put him in suit/tux ...oh baby.
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Passenger

Georgia,
A suit coat is different form a sports coat. Most suite coats dont look good unless they have a matching pant. A sports coat on the other hand can work well w/amost any type of pants/and or jeans. I had the same problem wmy husband and the mall. I wanted him to get a sports coat to wear on the less formal nights at sea plus to have in case . I went to the major stores in the mall and all the coats seem to be w/suites-the ones that werent looked like something Mr Howell from Gilligans Island would wear{ big gold buttons -yuk} or cost an arm and a leg. My husband is a jean,t-shirt type guy so I didnt want to pay alot for something he might wear once or twice{maybe 3 if I am lucky} times a year,but I dint want something that looked "cheap". I dont know where you live but if you have a Value City in your neiborhood I would try there. Thats where I finally got my husband a sports coat. They had a lot of "just "sports coats to choose from plus they were reasonably priced.

Good Luck
JC
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Most major department stores and men's specialty shops sell sports jackets or suit separates, separately. Think about it. If you are buying a suit, your man has to try on the jacket to find a size that fits and then try on a pair of pants that fit, 2 separate pieces that are sold together to make a suit. I know that places like the Mens Warehouse have a large selection of jackets only, sure they push to sell you the suits, but the jackets only are available for purchase.

as for the suspenders, all i can tell you is that my 17yr old would not "get caught dead in a pair of those old man things".
Old June 21st, 2004, 02:47 PM
jamiegunter

Just ask for some help. I got my husband a nice jacket that will go nice with dockers or dressier pants. Any sales person would be happy to help you I am sure. By the way it was confusing to me too
Old June 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Is there any way to figure out what size you would wear other than him having to go into the store. I just looked at his suit and there is no size anywhere... He is not very big - wears a 32 in the waist pants and is only about 5'5. I was looking at some at the JC Penney's website.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Sport Coat and Suit Coat

Georgia: I think your best bet is to have him try it on! Sounds like a good quality blue blazer would fit the bill. Put with grey, tan, dress slacks or even dockers and he's set for ANYTHING...even a funeral!! Every man needs to be prepared for at the very least a funeral! If he doesn't want to go to the store, give the clerk his appoximate size and take a couple of them home. Try them, keep what fits! Take rest back! Short 39-40 just might work! Be sure to tell the clerk his height! The clerk will know.

I am amazed at how may men on this website seem to be ill prepared to even attend their own mother's funeral!. Ladies, get them a suit or a blazer/slacks every 5-6 years....just in case! The expense ahead is minimal...the hassle extraordinary if it has to be done last minute! Marty
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

We swear by the Men's Wearhouse....excellent selection and superior customer service, and the prices are reasonable. We've never experienced the hard sell where they tried to sell us more than we came in for. Our last purchase there was a dark navy sports coat, but we purchased matching pants, so it looks like a suit for dressier occasions, but he can also wear it with gray or khaki slacks.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Georgia, he really needs to be measured to make sure the coat fits and hangs just right. You can buy dress pants separate as long as you know his waist size and inseam size. Suit pants come unhemmed and need to be hemmed to size.
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
First Mate

Georgia,
Your husband sounds something like my husband, except my husband does not want me to buy clothes for him, so that is another issue. Anyway, he needs short, as regular will not fit properly if he is 5'5". I have had a lot of luck with the Lands End web site. They have decent sports coats at somewhat decent prices in short sizes. If anyone knows where else I can get him clothes cut short at decent prices, please let me know. I already know about the special catalog for short men. He won't even look at that. Good luck.
Bobbie
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

"I already know about the special catalog for short men. He won't even look at that. "

Bobbie... can you tell me how to get that catalog??? I married into a family of short men and my boys are going to be short, too. I'm SO tired of hemming pants.

Stacy

ps... about the suspenders, you've asked this question on several boards and keep getting the same answer. Nerdy? Yes. But if your son WANTS to wear them, he can. Besides, at 17 you should let him decide to wear them or not.
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Stacey - another huge plus with Land's End is that they hem pants for free!.. The clothes are of a good quality and they fit very true to size.