Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default luggage weight limits?

Does anyone know what the weight limits are on luggage? I will be flying United/Lufthansa to Rome. I think I remember that international flight limits are a little bit more... 75#?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:30 AM
sls

Default Re: luggage weight limits?

I think you're right. Just to be sure I would call the airlines. Don't want to get to the counter and have to start shuffling stuff around.

sls

Destiny 12/2004
Sensation 5/2004
Holiday 1/2004
Conquest 11/2003
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Yes, that was the case the last time I flew international earlier this year, but I flew a different airline.

I checked the United site and it said this: International allowance, size and weight rules vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details regarding acceptance and restrictions.

So give them a call to make sure!

Old June 28th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you, Carey! I will call them soon. Two weeks from now I'll be in Boston,waiting for my flight. It's time to dig out the suitcase(s) and start making decisions. I'm TRYING, really really trying, to pack lighter. The Serenity has self service laundry so I don't need two weeks of clothes. I just have a difficult time not putting more in if I have "room" to spare. My gown isn't going this time so maybe it will be lighter... I can only hope.

Stacy
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:14 AM
SarahJ

70 lbs per bag.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I called United. After several "transfers" I got the international person who "thought it was 70#'s". I told her I didn't need to know what she "thought", I needed to know what the limit was. Sheeesh! Basically, she couldn't tell me. She said, "If it's the same as United, which it is, I think... well, it should be... then it's two bags, up to 70#'s each." The only concrete info I got was that Lufthansa has a weight limit for carry-on bags.... 18#'s. Doesn't that sound odd? 18? Anyway, it looks like I might bring two smaller bags instead of my steamer trunk to be sure. I'd rather drag one large bag but oh, well. At least this way if one of them gets lost I'll still have some clothes for my cruise.
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I called United back and got a better phone person! He was very clear and sure that the limit is two bags, up to 70#'s each and one carry-on, no more than 18#. Glad I called to be certain!
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Passenger

BE sure and dont put anything in your suitcase that you dont want someone to take. I just returned from New York and I had jewelry and about five outfits that were stolen from my suitcase.
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Yeoman

70 pounds is a pretty typical allowance for international flights. For US domestic flights (even non-continuous domestic legs of international intineraries), the limit is almost universally 50 pounds.
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Be sure to check with Lufthansa as well as United if any of your flights will be operated by Lufthansa.

We are flying internationally on Northwest flights that are operated by KLM. I called Northwest to clarify KLM's carryon luggage policy. The Northwest agent I spoke with did not know that KLM's rules for luggage are different from theirs. When the agent gave me very different information than I had seen on KLM's international website, I asked her to doublecheck. Big difference: On international flights from or to U.S., Northwest allows a 40 pound carryon bag, while KLM allows only 10 kg (22 pounds).
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:30 PM
RA

Most major airlines list the limits on their websites. Most do have different limits on international vs domestic flights so make sure you looking at the right information. Some airlines do it by weight limit, others do it by size. Also remember if you have a connecting flight with a different airline it could be different.