Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2004, 03:45 PM
First Mate

Default Ladies....Long Gown or Short Dress, what will it be?

I cruise Celebrity on 10 days and longer cruises. I"m only 5'1" and petite size 8.

I've found some nice formal gowns in Marshall's but they are not quite floor length. They were not petite so they hit about mid calf. All the dresses are a A-line fit, so they could work well being shorter.

My question is, should I take these "not so floor length dresses" and have them made into knee length? They are dressy looking so I think they would look fine shorter. I figure if I wear strappy dress shoes and carry a nice small fancy clutch and wear nice bracelets as jewelry I could get away with formal nights in the shorter-length dress.

I prefer shorter dressy dresses over gowns, but not sure if it will be dressy enough for formal nights on Celebrity. My hubby wears a black suit with a tuxedo shirt and bow tie and then a suit with a shirt and tie.

I did just purchase two real nice floor length gowns from Talbots, got a great deal and can't decide if I should shorten those as well.

Do you suggest wearing a long gown for the first formal night, then the shorter dressy ones for the other two formal nights?

Yikes....too many decisions to make. Help? I don't want to spend a fortune at the tailors without another opinion.

Thanks everyone who can lend an ear.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Ladies....Long Gown or Short Dress, what will it be?

Hi CC,
I'd just take the longer dresses and have them shorten, I'm also on the short side and prefer the short, cocktail length dresses. HOpefully the price is right, so any cost for alterations would be minimal. You can also shop around for something already short?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM
tazee

i prefer the shorter length dress. i have a black dress that im taking on my cruise in september. it is probably what is called "tea length" and the hem is diff length in about 4 places, kind of like a scarf ,i guess. im not good at descriptions. lol .anyway, it has beads on the bodice and it will look just fine for formal night. im not near as worried about what to wear this cruise but was on my first cruise. just wear what you feel comfy in and have a great time!!
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Anne de Theleve

Hi Cathy , yes i should wear the floor length gown for the first night, and the other mid calf/shorter for the other nights !
Anne
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:50 AM
First Mate

Thanks ladies for your insight. I'm going to take those almost floor length to be shortened. I know I'll feel more comfortable with them shorter and then can use them for other occasions as well. We don't go to that many weddings to wear long gowns and in this day and age, I don't think they even do that anymore.

I do have two gowns that I will leave as is. I don't think they would look shortened.

I buy most my dresses at Marshall's and luckily have only paid about $20 to $40 for them. I'm always lookiing for a bargain. So the tailor thing won't break the budget.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Admiral

good call. I wear my long gown on the first formal night and then my short dressy dress or suit on the second.