Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
jerwick

Default clothes for 12yr old girl

We are taking our 12 yr old granddaughter on 10 day Mexico cruise. Guess I haven't kept up on their fashions. 99% of her tops have logo's(Nike etc). She does have nice dress(only dress owned) for formal night. Sailing on Princess. As experienced Princess cruisers, we have seen clothing from underdressed to overdressed, but never paid attention to kids for evening "smart causal" nights. Want to avoid buying things she will never wear again. Suggestions???
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: clothes for 12yr old girl

Princess veteran cruiser here. Most of the young teen girls wear for dinner either nice sheath or sundress type dresses, capris and cute tops w/flat sandals or a cute flippy skirt with a cute top, sparkly t-shirts seem to be very popular on casual nights. No jeans during dinner either.
Didn't see any logo type gear in the dining rooms during dinner it would be fine for the daytime.
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jerwick, she can get some inexpensive plain t-shirts and tanks for casual nights in the dining room. What does she have for bottoms... skirts/capris/pants? The young girls I saw last week were usually dressed in those flirty, flippy short (mid-thigh) skirts with a nice top and cute sandals (slides, wedges, beaded and flip-flop types). Capris are also appropriate... the girls that wore them seemed to favor the bold floral ones or the low rider khaki ones, which they wore with big belts.

Who knows, maybe she'll have fun dressing up a bit when she sees the other girls doing it!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Jerwick

My 12 y.o and 15 y.o. both brought a black, white and khaki mini-skirt (not too mini) and different colored/floral tank tops for casual nights.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:45 PM
mmotc

We are sailing in January with our 8 year old granddaughter. Her mom has already purchased all of her evening clothes. She will be wearing "party" dresses the two formal nights and sundresses or dressy skorts with matching tops the other nights. She loves to dress up so it isn't a problem packing for her.
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:38 PM
JaneMarlow

Jerwick: What is "overdressed" on a Princess cruise? I don't want to mortify myself! : )

Just kidding, but wondered what you mean? Like women in Queen Elizabeth the 1st style ball gowns?
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: clothes for 12yr old girl

i also wonder what overdressed would be... I love dressing up - intend to wear a long fitted red dress with little beading on it on the first formal night - definitely formal but hopefully not considered too formal....? For second formal night, I am wondering whether to wear a long black fitted dress with a low back (material has a sparkly pattern on it also black), or a short very dressy dress - black lace top with nude lining and to the knee attached skirt...? Any suggestions?