Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ok, Ladies another packing question ? Help!

On the last cruise we drove to the port. DH carried the hanging garment bag and I did use the layer packing that everyone suggestion from the packing light web site and it work wonderful.

This cruise in September is a (hen's, girls get a way cruise) so therefore DH want be there to carry the hanging garment bag.

I've been reading the boards where some of you say that you pack your suitcase/luggage using the dry cleaning bags, (which I do) but leave the hanger on.

I've doing a trial run today to make sure that my large piece of luggage is not over the weight limit, but after tying once this morning I'm having trouble with the layer packing with the hangers, they just seem to get in the way .

With just me and the luggage this time (one large, one small, one carryon + camera bag and purse) I just didn't want to have to worry about the (hanging garment bag).

Also on the hangers (metal, wire with the foam stuff) with the airport security will the wire hangers set the security off?

Any help will be appreicated
Thanks girls,
Sherry

RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Ok, Ladies another packing question ? Help!

I have a garment bag that folds,so I cant help you there. But what is this layer method and where can I find the packing light web site? I did finally find the 2.5 gallon ziplock bags at my local Target store.

Thanks
JC
Old July 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM
sls

How long are you going that you need a large and small suitcase and a carry on? I would substitute a garmet bag for the small suitcase.

sls
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

7 day cruise, but leaving 2 day early. So I took your advise "sls" and cot out the carryon, so now I'll only have the camera bag & purse, one large, one small, the small will not be full as to allow room for things we buy while on our cruise New York to Canada.

M15 here's the link to packing light
www.packinglight.com
Just look for the packing area.

Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Admiral

we pack all of our "good, dress clothes" on the wire hangers in the dry cleaners bags in the garment bag. The garment bag folds in half and the clothes still do not get wrinkled.
The wire hangers do not set off any type of alarms at the airport.
The layering method works wonders as does using ziploc bags for things like socks & underwear, i use the 1 gallon size ones for socks, & underwear, stuff them in there, squish out all the air and just put them into the corners of your suitcase.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:38 PM
Passenger

I would like to add my 2 cents worth.

I use ziploc bags for socks, panties, bras and then I squeeze all the air out of the bag.
Repeat for t-shirts and shorts. Repeat for bathing suits.
I also rotate layering, so that it is as level as possible.
I use dry cleaning hangers and bags for each outfit and then I change the direction of the hangers so that it creates a more even effect. If you push down on the clothes you can feel where the shallow parts are, I then shove my shoes or extra evening purses in these areas. I also find that if you pack a few days before, the clothes settle and make more room. Really any little bit helps.

As for wrinkles; I turn the shower on hot and hang my items in the bathroom- close the door, have a drink and then check on them. Most likely if you shake them the majority of the wrinkles will fall out. You can also help the process along by checking on your clothes and using your hands to rub (gentle like) in the down direction to get the wrinkles out. It all depends on the fabric. The nicer the fabric the more gentle on the downward rub. If you use tissue and plastic I'd just hang them and wait to see if the wrinkles fall out, if not do the shower method before wearing.

Hope this helps.

I swear I'm only lazy when there's sand!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Shucks.......
I forgot to mention that I use a small bag for "all" of my extra's and then a larger bag for all my clothes and shoes. I too have the dilemma of no husband to carry the luggage. I too decided that my garmet bag was really a pain in the a**, and without the husband it really matters.

I swear I'm only lazy when there's sand!
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
Admiral

So Ladies - let me get this straight - the real reason we bring our husbands on a cruise is to carry the garment bags? Works for me lol. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all of you for all your suggestions.

And No that's not the only reason we take our DH's, but they do come in handy for things like carrying luggage !!! HA!

My trial run packing works and not over the weight limited, I did the big zip lock bags with underwear etc as well as one for hairspray, lotion etc.

Now taking to check in at airport (1 large, 1 small (but not totally full to allow for packing goodies purchased ) and going on the plane with me a small carryon for the camera, film & extra outfit & underwear just in case the luggage doesn't arrive to cabin before dinner time.

The luggage is on rollers and the carryon will snap on to one of the other pieces of luggage when I pick them up at the baggage area at the airport, so I can handle pulling to pieces of luggage.

Again Thanks to all of you gals.

RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Gale & Bob Hanley

Default Re: Re: Ok, Ladies another packing question ? Help!

Hi Ladies: I have fervently been writing down alot of suggestions for my cruise on the 19th. I do have one question though. I will not need to go on an airplane, is there a weight limitation on the ship? Please get back to me if anyone knows? Thanks and Happy Cruising to all.... GSHanley
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Gale - no weight limits on a cruise. It the space that can be a problem, you have either be able to stow your suitcase in the closet, under the bed or give it to your room steward to put into storage.